Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same issue with first the rear drivers side door (under warranty) and now 4 months later the rear passenger door (no longer under warranty). I do not believe this is normal wear and tear and there needs to be a recall. It is a safety issue that I cannot get to my back seat and child through both doors. I also do not want this happening to my front doors and be out the money yet again.
It's definitely a safety issue. Hyundai designed the latch wrong. They need to recall and replace all the Tucson latches. I took mine out and I know enough to figure out how it works. Most cars have a cable or metal linkage that physically opens the latch. This one, besides being mostly crappy plastic, doesn't work like that. It has a very weak spring that unlatches the door. The door handles simply release the latch so the spring can open it. So.... if you crash your car and there is any pressure on that latch, the door won't open. Hopefully you don't need to get out. Like if you're injured or if there's a fire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
SOLVED.

Here is your fix... I just did this on our 2010 Veracruz.

From the inside: use a screwdriver to pry/break off the plastic lock part (the piece that rotates when you lock/unlock the door). The cable that hooks to this is what's actually bound up due to this piece being broken - it isn't actually unlocking). Once that is broken off, you can use some needle nose pliers to pull the cable (has a plastic white "T" connector on the end of it) toward the door hinges and simultaneously use the lever to open the door.

Remove the door cover panel and replace the plastic handle assembly. 1 screw on the upper hinge side (pry off the 1/4" plastic center piece, which exposes the screw), one screw on the upper opposing side (same cover piece hides the screw), and one screw located behind the plastic plate located inside of the handle assy (the plate pops off by prying it off with a tiny screwdriver).

Handle assy part# is 82620 3J000WS (RH) or 82610 J000WS (LH). These parts are the same on the front and rear. The genuine Hyundai parts for this are available for cheap via Amazon! Here is a pair (LH and RH) for $12.43
Disclaimer: I am not at all affiliated with the seller.

The assy comes off and on with 5 silver philips screws on the inside of the door panel. Pay close attention to how the cables hook up when you're removing it! Reassemble and voila - fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have a 2016 Tuscon Eco
First the front passenger door stopped opening every once and a while unless you pulled it 3 times to open...
Then the back passenger doors would not open from the outside...Took it to Hyundai who said they could not replicate the issue on the front passenger door ...
But was able to offer this ridiculous offer of fix 1 door for 400$ or all doors for 800$ ... wtf?

So now one back passenger door will not open from outside or inside (driver side) and the other passenger doors do not open on the outside.

We called Hyundai corporate and they said we were outside of 60K warranty (we live in rural part of oregon so we drive a lot)...
We were not able to get a manager or anyone on the phone after they "looked into it" as they said this was the end of the line "have a good day"

Ok .. so we called the Vehicle safety hotline and they opened a claim...please do this as this needs to be recalled.
This is not normal wear and tear issue and it is a safety issue...

The issue will come back again even after repair since they are not fixing the actual issue.

Next we are opening a claim with the Department of Justice (which also will investigate same as the Vehicle Safety )

We will never purchase another Hyundai,
Unfortunate because we actually bought it for the warranty and basically have been screwed the whole time.
We were also shown how well the door feels when shutting it when we purchased it... it was a little heavier and seemed to be able to hold up to things more than a mazda did... again we should have known better.

Horrible customer service.

@DaleL
Do you know if that part works on 2016 Tuscon's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
SOLVED.

Here is your fix... I just did this on our 2010 Veracruz.

From the inside: use a screwdriver to pry/break off the plastic lock part (the piece that rotates when you lock/unlock the door). The cable that hooks to this is what's actually bound up due to this piece being broken - it isn't actually unlocking). Once that is broken off, you can use some needle nose pliers to pull the cable (has a plastic white "T" connector on the end of it) toward the door hinges and simultaneously use the lever to open the door.

Remove the door cover panel and replace the plastic handle assembly. 1 screw on the upper hinge side (pry off the 1/4" plastic center piece, which exposes the screw), one screw on the upper opposing side (same cover piece hides the screw), and one screw located behind the plastic plate located inside of the handle assy (the plate pops off by prying it off with a tiny screwdriver).

Handle assy part# is 82620 3J000WS (RH) or 82610 J000WS (LH). These parts are the same on the front and rear. The genuine Hyundai parts for this are available for cheap via Amazon! Here is a pair (LH and RH) for $12.43
Disclaimer: I am not at all affiliated with the seller.

The assy comes off and on with 5 silver philips screws on the inside of the door panel. Pay close attention to how the cables hook up when you're removing it! Reassemble and voila - fixed. View attachment 446995
Does all that apply to the 2016 Tucson?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Toni you were right hitting it worker for me. Thank you so much for your post!!!
We are having the same issue with our 2017 Elantra. Door lock operates just fine but the door won’t open from the inside or outside. We haven’t fixed it, but have found that if we hit the door right underneath the handle we can get it to open. Sometimes we have to try it over and over again, but it works eventually. This is definitely a safety hazard as we have our son in the back and need to be able to get him out quickly in this Arizona heat. There definitely needs to be a recall!
Hi, fellow Arizonan here with a question: were you hitting under the handle on the inside of the car or the outside? Thanks in advance, this is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Toni you were right hitting it worker for me. Thank you so much for your post!!!
Hi! Just curious, did you hit under the handle on the outside of the car or the handle on the inside? I'm trying to figure out where to hit this things and how hard. I've got to get this open. If I do that I can replace the actuator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! The door lock operates, I can hear it click and I can see it move but the door does not release. I've tried using the inside door handle to open it - still no good. Has anyone heard of this?

I've tried pushing, pulling, using the remote to open/close, use the manual lock to open/close - nothing is working. The inside handle feels like it is not connected at all. The outside handle feels like it is trying to function.

The dealer is planning to cut the door handles off both inside and outside of the car to try to figure it out and my appointment is scheduled for next Thursday. :frown:
Remove weather strip from the inside completely off then start popping panel off get an L shape trim tool and lift from top of panel while pulling from bottom and you should be able to see everything and pop door open
Had a similar issue, inside handle wouldn't open the door despite child lock being off. Outside handle worked fine. But in my case that door had been damaged (by the wife) and repaired.
Dealer reconnected something and it worked for a few months, second time they just replaced the lock assembly entirely (under warranty). Been fine ever since.
Remove weather strip from the inside completely after start pulling door panel off and with an L shape trim tool lift from top while pulling from bottom and it should release and you then can get to latch assembly

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you able to manually unlock the rear doors? If so it's not a safety issue.
Having same issue and you cannot manually unlock it to get the door open and you can hear the lock engaging when you press the button as well. The door simply will not open from inside or outside of the car.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
A guy I work with has a 2016 Tucson and his rear doors wouldn’t open. Hyundai fixed them under warranty and told him it’s a common issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had the same issue with first the rear drivers side door (under warranty) and now 4 months later the rear passenger door (no longer under warranty). I do not believe this is normal wear and tear and there needs to be a recall. It is a safety issue that I cannot get to my back seat and child through both doors. I also do not want this happening to my front doors and be out the money yet again.
total bull and I'm pissed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Total Bull . I will never buy a Hyundai again. the signal in the steering column went, the driver window motor went , the actuator on the passenger door went, and now the rear driver door won't open all just outside warranty.... what A mistake... my Chrysler was better and they are problematic. and I loved my Tuscon. I will be reviewing this car every where online I can.. so disappointed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having same issue and you cannot manually unlock it to get the door open and you can hear the lock engaging when you press the button as well. The door simply will not open from inside or outside of the car.
I have the exact same thing no warning just one moment later and nothing..

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have a 2016 Tuscon Eco
First the front passenger door stopped opening every once and a while unless you pulled it 3 times to open...
Then the back passenger doors would not open from the outside...Took it to Hyundai who said they could not replicate the issue on the front passenger door ...
But was able to offer this ridiculous offer of fix 1 door for 400$ or all doors for 800$ ... wtf?

So now one back passenger door will not open from outside or inside (driver side) and the other passenger doors do not open on the outside.

We called Hyundai corporate and they said we were outside of 60K warranty (we live in rural part of oregon so we drive a lot)...
We were not able to get a manager or anyone on the phone after they "looked into it" as they said this was the end of the line "have a good day"

Ok .. so we called the Vehicle safety hotline and they opened a claim...please do this as this needs to be recalled.
This is not normal wear and tear issue and it is a safety issue...

The issue will come back again even after repair since they are not fixing the actual issue.

Next we are opening a claim with the Department of Justice (which also will investigate same as the Vehicle Safety )

We will never purchase another Hyundai,
Unfortunate because we actually bought it for the warranty and basically have been screwed the whole time.
We were also shown how well the door feels when shutting it when we purchased it... it was a little heavier and seemed to be able to hold up to things more than a mazda did... again we should have known better.

Horrible customer service.

@DaleL
Do you know if that part works on 2016 Tuscon's?
I will be reporting them.. Everything is going on this car just outside the warranty, so disappointed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If everyone will file a complaint here... File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA they may do a recall and be forced to fix the problem.
Yup. We have filed a couple. People please file a complaint!

We ended up paying 1100$ for 3 doors . 1 of the doors would not open at all.

The driver door was the only door that they said "looks fine" . Which I think is amazing because think about it,
if the doors are on a warranty based off mileage wouldn't you think the driver door would be used the most?

Anyway, 3 hours and the dealer ship called stating WE were going to have to take it to a body shop to have them break into the door that could not open
LMAO I was just about to tell them they are lucky they didn't do the other doors first because I will be damned I am paying to fix a safety issue and you STILL WANT ME TO FIX IT...WTF?

As I was about to rip them up the guy says WAIT WE GOT IT!

So .. because of waiting another 3 hours (6 total) we had to wait until the next day to pick it up which they knocked off 40$.,
Thanks Hyundai... great piece of crap and service you/we have.

They still haven't fixed the ultimate problem so this will happen again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 Hyundai Tuscon. The back passenger door is stuck shut! Just happened out of the blue. I have taken it to my garage and they informed me that they will have to remove the back seat to get to the door to take it apart and potentially break it for approximately $809. Any ideas, suggestions?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 2016 Hyundai Tuscon. The back passenger door is stuck shut! Just happened out of the blue. I have taken it to my garage and they informed me that they will have to remove the back seat to get to the door to take it apart and potentially break it for approximately $809. Any ideas, suggestions?
Did you get your problem solved without spending the $809?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are having the same issue with our 2017 Elantra. Door lock operates just fine but the door won’t open from the inside or outside. We haven’t fixed it, but have found that if we hit the door right underneath the handle we can get it to open. Sometimes we have to try it over and over again, but it works eventually. This is definitely a safety hazard as we have our son in the back and need to be able to get him out quickly in this Arizona heat. There definitely needs to be a recall!
Did you end up getting this issue resolved? We have a 2017 Elantra and the passenger door is having this exact issue. Thanks for sharing your experience and solution.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts