Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys! The door lock operates, I can hear it click and I can see it move but the door does not release. I've tried using the inside door handle to open it - still no good. Has anyone heard of this?

I've tried pushing, pulling, using the remote to open/close, use the manual lock to open/close - nothing is working. The inside handle feels like it is not connected at all. The outside handle feels like it is trying to function.

The dealer is planning to cut the door handles off both inside and outside of the car to try to figure it out and my appointment is scheduled for next Thursday. :frown:
I have a Tucson 2016 and the drivers back door won't open either. Alot of people that have Tuscans are having the same problem. Why isn't their a recall to have these fixed. Should not be a warranty fix but a safety problem that should be fixed. Hyundai wants to charge $130 dollars to just look at it and then charge to fix it. Sad.
:mad:

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,180 Posts
Hyundai wants to charge $130 dollars to just look at it and then charge to fix it. Sad.
Why is that sad. Your Hyundai dealer is a business not a charity.
If you don't want to pay main dealer prices just don't take the car to a main dealer. Take it to an independent repairer instead. Their labour rates are generally much lower than those of a dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree totally but if I buy a product from you and it does not work then you should make it good. When I go to the doctors office I don't pay them to tell me I have a cold then charge me to tell me I have a cold. Idiot!
That is not Charity that is respectable business. If you want to cheat people then you should work for the Government.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,180 Posts
I agree totally but if I buy a product from you and it does not work then you should make it good.
If it failed within the warranty period I would make it good. And if it failed outwith the warranty period I'd still make it good...if you paid me to. That sounds like a reasonable, respectable business to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this same problem on the rear passenger door, couldn't open it at all from inside or outside, which is a huge safety issue since I have a car seat. Dealer replaced locking mechanism under warranty and has worked since, however, now my driver side passenger door is doing the same thing. Seems like there is a problem, this shouldn't even be something that is happening.
How did they get the door open? That's my issue right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are having the same issue with our 2017 Elantra. Door lock operates just fine but the door won’t open from the inside or outside. We haven’t fixed it, but have found that if we hit the door right underneath the handle we can get it to open. Sometimes we have to try it over and over again, but it works eventually. This is definitely a safety hazard as we have our son in the back and need to be able to get him out quickly in this Arizona heat. There definitely needs to be a recall!
We are having the same issue with our 2017 Elantra. Door lock operates just fine but the door won’t open from the inside or outside. We haven’t fixed it, but have found that if we hit the door right underneath the handle we can get it to open. Sometimes we have to try it over and over again, but it works eventually. This is definitely a safety hazard as we have our son in the back and need to be able to get him out quickly in this Arizona heat. There definitely needs to be a recall!
Toni you were right hitting it worker for me. Thank you so much for your post!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the exact same issue with my 2012 Tuscon. It just started this month (Oct 2019) on my rear passenger side door and it is very much a safety hazard. I urge you all to file a safety complaint with the NHTSA. If it becomes a recall, perhaps we can get a refund for the repair work (as well as save lives). You can Google "Safercar" and you'll find the .gov link to file online.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I am having the exact same issue with my 2012 Tuscon. It just started this month (Oct 2019) on my rear passenger side door and it is very much a safety hazard. I urge you all to file a safety complaint with the NHTSA. If it becomes a recall, perhaps we can get a refund for the repair work (as well as save lives). You can Google "Safercar" and you'll find the .gov link to file online.
Excellent advice! THAT is the type of help I was seeking when I joined up here. I just finished submitting my file there, and hope others here will follow your lead and do the same.
Thanks so much! :)
BTW, consider yourself "lucky" (LOL) if you've made it seven years without the door issues. My Daugter's '16 is already having the same problem with a SECOND door, four months after I paid Hyundai 500.00 for the first. Her long work commute took her over warranty mileage prematurely

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Tucson SE. Back door was working fine when I got it but now it would not open from inside or outside using both manual or key fob. It only has 39k miles will warranty cover repairing this? I emptied my savings buying the car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Tucson SE. Back door was working fine when I got it but now it would not open from inside or outside using both manual or key fob. It only has 39k miles will warranty cover repairing this? I emptied my savings buying the car.
Yes, you should have the balance of the 5 Year / 60k warranty left from when you purchased it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a Tucson. 2013 where the rear passenger door is doing the same thing, won’t open from from inside or outside. Thanks for info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, that sounds a bit extreme :surprise:

When I was a tech at a VW dealership we used to get cars in with this problem every other week. I've repaired quite a few of them and always managed to get them open with out causing any damage. Well, nothing visible anyway. It's quite time consuming though and on VWs (and probably newer Hyundai) the slimjim doesn't work because the lock actuator gets jammed in deadlock. The only way to get a VW open is to burst the actuator and remove all the little gears from inside.
How did u get to the actuator?

21 - 40 of 72 Posts