Hyundai Forums banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Well Raj,
We are in the same boat. I am a student too n its the first time that I bought a 2nd hand car. It is a 96 Lantra that has gone 169,000 km thus far. First impression, wow impressive. But now, problems after problems surface. First, I had to change the gasket coz there was some leaking, then temperature gauge goes haywire, Now, the clutch slipped. 3 problems and Ive juz owed it for like 2 mths. I cant possibly spend so much on unnecessary failures but at the same time, Im on limited budget to change to perhaps a Toyota. The clunky gear especially is driving me nuts. Do you think I should sell too? How much u bought it for? I got mine for $3,800 here in Perth.
Anyway, I think my friend had the same prob as u do. He cant start his 96 Lantra on occasions too. He had it done at the mechanic for $200. Apparently, they had to configure some computer stuffs abt e car, cant exactly remember.
hey Jonathan,
I bought a 1994 Hyundai Lantra GL which has done like 128000 kms on it. I bought this like 2 weeks back. This is the first time ever i bought an used car. I am experiencing problems with the car since day 1. I mean the car looks so very good...and I am pretty impressed with the features. But its just that the car refuses to start on some ocassions and the check engine light which comes back often. Well, other than that the car is pretty ok. But my friends suggested me to sell it off as soon as I can so as to avoid any further problems. They say I should go for Toyota or Ford. I am still a student and am finding it hard to carry out the expensive repair works. I am just thinking of selling it off and look out for a different one. What do u think of this guys? Would it be a good idea to just sell it off or fix these problems and keep driving?

Confused,
Raj
Many of you guys drive 20 year old cars, it's normal for a car of that age to start to fall apart and have some mechanical problems ;) wow I'm amazed to see 1994 Elantra still running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Evening all - my T reg (1999) Hyundai Lantra estate 1.6i has done 241,000 miles and still going strong. She is the best car I have ever had. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
OMG. That's awesome. What is your maintenance plans? Did own that brand new? All highway?
I bought the car new 18 miles, took it home dumped all the fluids and have ran synthetic ever sense. I follow the recommended maintenance schedule. When I drive I take a few minutes and turn off the radio and listen to the car, if something sounds different then I find the problem. Most of the miles are highway now, started out city but, for the last 6 years it has been my work car. I put about 600 miles a week on it and belive it or not it drives better now then when it was new. I still trust it for the 120 mile daily trip and even take it out of state now and then. It is in need of new struts but that is about it. I do all the work on the car myself, the money I have saved has bought the tools I need and I have to give credit to youtube, lot of help from the video's there. As far as plans I chech the all upper fluids weekly and it is a manual so I check the trans oil monthly (synthetic also, mobil 1, all the oil is). I love my Hyundai Elantra.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I bought the car new 18 miles, took it home dumped all the fluids and have ran synthetic ever sense. I follow the recommended maintenance schedule. When I drive I take a few minutes and turn off the radio and listen to the car, if something sounds different then I find the problem. Most of the miles are highway now, started out city but, for the last 6 years it has been my work car. I put about 600 miles a week on it and belive it or not it drives better now then when it was new. I still trust it for the 120 mile daily trip and even take it out of state now and then. It is in need of new struts but that is about it. I do all the work on the car myself, the money I have saved has bought the tools I need and I have to give credit to youtube, lot of help from the video's there. As far as plans I chech the all upper fluids weekly and it is a manual so I check the trans oil monthly (synthetic also, mobil 1, all the oil is). I love my Hyundai Elantra.
You're obviously a model for car owners. What kind of engine oil did you use? What MPG are you getting?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Have just passed 320,000km on my 97 Lantra. Got caught in a flash flood yesterday here in Sydney. Now have a check engine light and car is idling low and sometimes stalling. I'm wondering if the oxygen sensors are averse to a lot of water? The exhaust pipe got full....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hyundai Elantra J2 1.6 GLS 1996

Hello,
Just curios who has over 200,000 miles on there Elantra.
Please do not hijack this forum and turn it into a maintance issue forum.
In other words I know it depends on how often you change the oil etc.
In General I am just curious who has high mileage on their ? Elantra's
I know a few people that have over 250,000 on there Honda's and Toyotas.
Do you think that Hyandi's are just as good?
I am a recent Hyundai Elantra Station wagon owner I love the car I bought it with 50,000 miles and Hoping to get at least 200,000 on it.
If you got your transmission or engine replaced you do not count LOL.

So reply back with how many miles you have on your car I am curious.
Jonathan.
Hi, I drive a 1996 Hyundai Elantra J2 1.6 GLS for the past 16 years. I bought it from my neighbour in 1998 with 124000 on the clock. It is currently standing on 386342 km, still going strong. I do my own maintenance. Engine never overhauled, best car I ever had. Christo 0836111349

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have a 1996 J2 hyundai elantra and she's running perfectly strong, I'm now doing just over 340 000 kms. This car still tramps the tar out of toyotas ever so renowned "twincam".

·
Registered
172 Posts
sjbrooks04, you have the exact mentality on this as do I. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I know how to watch YouTube! I also know how to ask questions in a forum such as this. I add only one thing to what you do: I periodically have my fluids analyzed at a laboratory. A few years ago, I purchased several cases of prepaid fluid analysis kits. On a rotating basis I send out samples of every piece of equipment I own. Over the past few years, I have changed engine oil brands three times because I was dissatisfied by the lab result.

Mechanical things almost NEVER "just fail" - they will tell you in advance that there is a small problem. If you are looking and listening, you can act before that small problem becomes a big one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great service from our 2005 Elantra

We own a 2005 Elantra that we bought new. I do all the mechanical work on the car myself and change the oil every 5,000 miles. The next oil change is due at 301,000 miles. Even now I'm still averaging 32-33 MPG with an automatic transmission and high miles to boot. No major issues with the car whatsoever and it has been the most dependable car we've owned. We live in a rust belt state and these cars all get rust in the same areas on the body. Other than that, it's a gem of a car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have currently 404,985 miles on my 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT and I use 10W/30 Amsoil signature series oil and Amsoil ATF and it still runs great. I bought it when it had 91,000 miles and it has the original engine and transmission.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Not a "Lant", but I have an Azera (MY08) with 204,000+ miles and it's still going QUITE strong! I moved to Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 5W20 oil before I got to 50k.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just bought a 2013 Elantra GT. It has the 1.8L NU engine. I fully expect to exceed 200,000 miles and well beyond that. I drive an average of 33,000 miles a year, so I will be hitting the 100K mile mark in 2016.
As of today, March 5, 2014 the car has 23K miles and no problems.

I'll keep you guys informed.
Update: Sorry guys but I traded my 13 GT in for a 16 Elantra sedan back in December 2015.
The GT had 89,000 miles but was still running like good. It developed a ticking on cold start-up that disappeared after a few minutes. Not sure if this was serious but that's not why I traded. Hyundai had huge incentives on the 16 Elantra because the new 17s were about to arrive.
btw... I've since traded the 16 Elantra for a 17 Sonata. Again... huge incentives saved me $6000 off sticker price.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts