Hyundai Forums banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 97 Elantra has 290,000. Some of the numbers you guys have posted are very impressive. I would be extremely thrilled to get 350-400 on mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is a 5 speed. One new clutch & axel shafts, one water pump & timing belt, probably 5-6 alternators, a radiator, both front steering knuckles(was eating wheel bearings), a few interior door handles, windshield wiper transmission, fuel tank straps, nothing major really.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is a 5 speed. One new clutch & axel shafts, one water pump & timing belt, probably 5-6 alternators, a radiator, both front steering knuckles(was eating wheel bearings), a few interior door handles, windshield wiper transmission, fuel tank straps, nothing major really.
Now at 421,112 miles. On my 3rd alternator. 2 radiators. And a thermostat and 1 waterpump. New Dorman Catalytic converter. But my car still has the original engine and transmission. Of course 4 timing belt changes since I bought it. New front and rear struts at about 200,000 miles since it was eating tires and bouncing too much. I only used Amsoil synthetic oil and ATF in it since I bought it at 91,000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I need to do the timing belt again. I bought mine with 78k on it and I have only changed it one time. I'm sure it is ready for a new one but that is a PITA job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used the cheapest oil I could find but changed it pretty religiously every 3,000-3,500. Around 275,000 I started using synthetic oil, figured it was starting to become a high mileage car so I wanted to use something a little better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used the cheapest oil I could find but changed it pretty religiously every 3,000-3,500. Around 275,000 I started using synthetic oil, figured it was starting to become a high mileage car so I wanted to use something a little better.
I always find it's better to use a good oil before the engine gets worn out. I have driven 2 other cars besides the 2003 Elantra greater than 250,000 plus miles on Amsool. Amsoil synthetic has a much higher film strength than conventional oil and will not form sludge which is the biggest killer of engines. Back about 7 years ago I replaced the valve cover gasket and the inside of the engine was free from sludge and you could easily read the stamped numbers on the parts. Some people have driven up to a million miles on their original engines when using Amsoil synthetic oil and ATF.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always find it's better to use a good oil before the engine gets worn out. I have driven 2 other cars besides the 2003 Elantra greater than 250,000 plus miles on Amsool. Amsoil synthetic has a much higher film strength than conventional oil and will not form sludge which is the biggest killer of engines. Back about 7 years ago I replaced the valve cover gasket and the inside of the engine was free from sludge and you could easily read the stamped numbers on the parts. Some people have driven up to a million miles on their original engines when using Amsoil synthetic oil and ATF.
Hmm. Maybe my first oil change on my 18 Sonata I will start with Amsoil.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmm. Maybe my first oil change on my 18 Sonata I will start with Amsoil.
I have had great results with using Amsoil synthetic oils. I use it in my boat and snowmobiles and watercraft as well as Chainsaw in addition to my cars. Since I live in Minnesota rust has been the biggest killers of my cars and all the engines ran well when I sold them. Hopefully you won't have the connecting rod problem with your newer Sonata.

·
Registered
1 Posts
my son who lives in NY wants to drive his hundia elantra 2005 to fl to give it to me but the car now has 230000 miles on it plus another 1000 miles to come to fl the car has a lot if new parts and runs good but it would then have 330000 mules on it which is a real lot should i tell him no

·
Registered
46 Posts
my son who lives in NY wants to drive his hundia elantra 2005 to fl to give it to me but the car now has 230000 miles on it plus another 1000 miles to come to fl the car has a lot if new parts and runs good but it would then have 330000 mules on it which is a real lot should i tell him no
At 333,333 my wife and son drove from MN to Toronto and then down to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls and all the way back to Minnesota. One year earlier we drove to the Black Hills and then to Devils Tower and then Yellow Stone and Glacier National Park and then home. Right now the car has 422,100 miles and I like to see it make 500,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you really talking about 200000 miles or would it be rether kms? Anyway, my '97 Elantra SW 5sp has 216 000km on it and still runs very well. That is very good for a Hyundai. I would like to bring it to 300 000km with the original engine. Since last year, I use only Synthetic oil in it, in order to limit engine wear and I also add, every 10-15 gas tank refuiling.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are you really talking about 200000 miles or would it be rether kms? Anyway, my '97 Elantra SW 5sp has 216 000km on it and still runs very well. That is very good for a Hyundai. I would like to bring it to 300 000km with the original engine. Since last year, I use only Synthetic oil in it, in order to limit engine wear and I also add, every 10-15 gas tank refuiling.
Only 300,000 KM = 186,411 miles?. Is that all? I have 422,106 "MILES" on my 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT engine and transmission and they are both all original.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here is a picture of the car. It needs new tires and a new flex pipe in the exhaust which is triggering an oxygen sensor CEL. It has the original paint and for Minnesota that is impressive since rust is one of the biggest killers of cars here.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old hyundai lantra

2000 Hyundai Lantra.....over 300,000 klms only replaced clutch and exhaust...most reliable vehicle ....when I have to I will be buying same:

·
Registered
155 Posts
230000 miles on it plus another 1000 miles to come to fl
That would make 231000 miles, not 330000 mules
I had just a little under 225000 MILES when I traded my 2005 Elantra away.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 133 Posts