Hyundai Forums banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 with almost 315k miles transmission just started having issues with P0734 no other major issues only small problems like window motor,and fan switch. I however have one problem which I haven't solved which is car will not start after a 30 min heat soak. I have figured out spraying some starting fluid it starts right up. Any ideas ??? I intend to try and fix it with the kit from what ever it takes .
Regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine is a 2000 Elantra with 226k miles on it. It just began missing, so I'm trying to find the problem. Going to put gaskets on and hope it is the problem. It also needs a CV axle, so if I get the engine missing stopped, I'll get both and replace them along with wheel bearings. And am checking brakes as well. Trying to get the missing problem taken care of this week. I like this car a lot. The only other thing wrong is the windows. The passenger side works, the driver side broke last year. Not really concerned with the back windows until everything else is fixed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2000 with almost 315k miles transmission just started having issues with P0734 no other major issues only small problems like window motor,and fan switch. I however have one problem which I haven't solved which is car will not start after a 30 min heat soak. I have figured out spraying some starting fluid it starts right up. Any ideas ??? I intend to try and fix it with the kit from what ever it takes .
Regards
At about 110,000 miles I switched my Hyundai Elantra over to Amsoil ATF. About every 60,000 to 70,000 miles I do a drain and flush and top it off with fresh Amsoil ATF. My transmission shifts almost like new and the car has 427,154 miles on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
428,326 miles right now. I fixed the rust on the car too with 3M autobody adhesive and sheet metal and steel pop rivets. Looks pretty good for a nearly 17-year-old car and it still has the original paint too except for the areas I fixed of course. I used Amsoil metal protectant spray inside the body panels when I bought the car and the rocker panels are still solid yet with no rust through. Not too shabby for a MN car which has seen about 17 winters

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just changed my ATF today and the car has 428,396 miles on it. I bought 4 quarts Amsoil ATF plus I had a partial bottle that I had at home to do it. It took about 4.5 quarts to top it off again after the drain and fill. Here is a picture of the dirty transmission fluid.

I do this every 70,000 to 80,000 miles to keep the original to the car never been rebuilt transmission in good shape. The last time I did this the car had 341,000 miles on it so it has been about 87,000 miles since I last did a drain and fill. Amsoil ATF was tested in Taxicabs and subjected to 180,000-mile change intervals without any failures of the transmissions and a retired Crown Vic with over 400,000 miles on it had its transmission torn down and there was little to no sludge on the inside of a transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
An awesome thread and gives me hope for my 2 Hyundais.
I have driven many cars well north of 200,000 miles. I been using Amsoil products since 1988 and I always had a good experience with Amsoil. I own a personal Watercraft which is 20 years old and I bought it in 2006. It still has 150psi of compression in both cylinders. I also have a 1996 Polaris XLT Touring sled with 8,800 miles on it and back in 2010 a bearing broke and it made some weird noises so I brought it in. At the time the engine had 7,300 miles on it and the guy at the shop said you are most likely going to need to bore it out and get 3 new pistons. Two days later I got a call from the shop. They said they could not believe it they ran the calipers up and down the cylinders twice and it is within specs. He said you could see the original crosshatch on the cylinder walls. I saved a ton of money because they only had to ball hone and put new rings on the original pistons. Amsoil is the reason why that 2003 Elantra Gt is still kicking at 428,396 miles. Plus I am a stickler for maintenance. Back at the Hyundai Dealership, they noticed that my transmission shifted like a new car and it had 380,000 miles on the car. I told them I use Amsoil ATF. One service technician actually had the nerve to say that I should only use Hyundai Transmission fluid and that using Amsoil would void a warranty. The other service tech said he has 380,000 miles on his Hyundai so the warranty is expired but he must be doing something right with using Amsoil because most transmissions do not last that long without being rebuilt and his transmission is original never been rebuilt :smile:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GLS that has 232,208 miles on it, I got it when it had 231,000 miles on it
The Hyundai Beta II engine in the 3rd generation Hyundai Elantra is a really good engine. It was built with the intention of possible turbocharging in the Tiburon and has shown a good lifespan with proper maintenance. Other than the necessary timing belt changes this engine has been shown to go the distance and recommended timing belt changes are every 60,000 miles. I still have the original engine and transmission in my car and neither of them has been rebuilt and I have 428,502 miles on it right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Hyundai Beta II engine in the 3rd generation Hyundai Elantra is a really good engine. It was built with the intention of possible turbocharging in the Tiburon and has shown a good lifespan with proper maintenance. Other than the necessary timing belt changes this engine has been shown to go the distance and recommended timing belt changes are every 60,000 miles. I still have the original engine and transmission in my car and neither of them has been rebuilt and I have 428,502 miles on it right now.
My engine was was replaced when the car had 78,000 miles on it and the new engine had 28,000 miles on it. I don’t know why it was replaced. The original owner replaced the engine. The transmission is the original my mechanic says. I now have 234,427 miles only my car. Just got a safety an emissions inspection, oil change and a tire rotation today. My airbag light is on, should I be worried? It airbag light stays on.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts