Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it Covered under warranty?

I Have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I bought a month ago and it has mileage of 16,000 only. Yesterday I felt a weird vibration when I started the car and it went away within a minute. I thought it was just because the engine was cold. But this morning I noticed same vibration and a brief warning message pop on on the screen "Check Active air flap system. Later on when the car was warm and I drove to walmart. It didn't show up when I started the engine on my way back. I read other people having same problem but their engine light came up too. which is not the case with me.
My vehicle is still under warranty. Is this issue covered under warranty?
if not How much I should expect to pay for this maintenance bill?

Thanks,

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
5yr/60,000 from date of first use.. send me VIN

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thx, it is 18000 miles and 5 years will be completing in Aug 2016. Let me rephrase my question, Does Hyundai Warranty covers this maintenance job?

Thanks,

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
First run Hybrid had handfull of flap assembly that failed.. we replaced them as they fail when customer show up.. there is a Flap update to the flap module..

I wouldnt doubt that flap took dump,, likely have to order, it not a hot ticket everyday sale item.. while there, ask them to verify flap module up to date, and that Version 2 been installed to Hybrid system.. big multi module update package, then re-calibrate 2 item as called out in directions (TSB)

It not a maintain job.. you have warning light, part likely fail, warranty take care of that

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the outcome? I have a 2013 Sonata Hybrid and the Check Active Air Flap System message just came on today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Checking to see how many people have had this problem?
Problem: "check active air flap system" coming on the center screen where you usually have the Eco score.
I have a 2011 Sonata Hybrid. Two months ago I go the check active air flop system. I sent $ to get it fixed. Are there other owners with this problem?

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I have a 2011 Sonata Hybrid. Two months ago I go the check active air flop system. I sent $ to get it fixed. Are there other owners with this problem?
Mileage ?? If you paid for it, you likely out of warranty

·
Registered
28 Posts
Earlier last month my 2011 Hybrid suffered the same failure. For a couple of months I had been receiving an intermittent CEL, which would last a couple of days and then disappear. The dealership could not find any stored codes, so could not do anything. This was before my 60,0000 miles was up, and before my 5y of ownership. Eventually, a couple of hundred miles after my 60,000m was up, the CEL returned, so I went directly to the dealership (on a Saturday afternoon), left the engine running, and asked the Service Manager to verify my problem. They were too busy then to check codes, so returned Monday and was given a loaner. Diagnosis was air flap failure, but because I had repeatedly had CEL before my warranty expired, they replaced under Warranty. At the same time, I had an issue with a squeal that was associated with the engine running, not in EV mode. Again reported before, not diagnosed, but confirmed by Service Manager at the same time as CEL. Main belt tensioner pulley was diagnosed and replaced under Warranty, just paying for cost of new belt. Had loaner for two days while problems fixed.
So, if air flap problem is diagnosed before 5y/60,000m warranty expires, it will be fixed under warranty, but normally not otherwise. The bill was $1000 plus for the warranty claim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is a 2012 Sonata Hybrid, this is now March 2017. MAYBE I've been lucky but mine has 79,000 miles and I "thought" I had purchased some sort of extended warranty but apparently that all expired once I hit 60,000 miles, so much for extended warranties, never again. But in addition, Honda does not have these sort of issues, what gives? I really regret as i am also reading about transmission issues that I have not yet experienced, sounds like I have more fun to look forward to, plus I still owe $10,000 on the danged thing. The car otherwise is in excellent condition. According to Kelley BB I can only get $9,000 for the car and I paid well over $30,000 for it. Talk about depreciation! It would be nice if they just acknowledged it is sort of a lemon and forgive the final $10,000 I owe, but that is a dream.

Anyway, the part is over $600 and the total cost is almost $1,000 for this air flap system. So how do others get this fixed for $62? I did find the part available on Ebay for about $250 OEM. But of course Hyundai has to make its bonus profit money. I like my service guy at Dublin Hyundai but there is only so much he can do for me before his management would start complaining, I think Hyundai has a problematic product the company won't take responsibility for known issues. And stick it to customers at extreme profits. Do they want a future customer or not? I ask.

Also, I could only get a suggestion for getting an Enterprise car rental at a "discounted" rate of $35 a day plus i am sure fees would mount on top of the $35. They cannot get the part in until Tuesday and today is Friday. I am screwed. It feels like I am burning money. When I owned a Saturn they GAVE me a rental car, every time. I miss them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"check active air flap system"

Yes, it drives me insane, to much to fix and flap is open but still thinks it sucks as several owners has this issue. My engine light is also on and I can not pass inspections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2011 Sonata Hybrid and I just got the dreaded "Check Active AIr Flap System warning" today. It's at 59k miles. The flaps are stuck open so I guess that's a good thing. Drove it around all day no problems except for check engine light on and AIr flap warning. I'm going to have to fix this because it's due inspection and registration. Has anyone done this fix themselves? I want to know if its worth doing myself or do I have to sell my kidney for parts and labor at the dealere?

·
Registered
586 Posts
So far so good. Looks like everything is working well since the ECU for air flaps yesterday. I will keep an eye on how the hybrid feels under my normal driving conditions. Look at the mpg both in car computer calculations and the old fashion calculations. Looks like gas is on the rise again!
From what I can tell less than 10 cars mentioned on this forum with the check active air flap system problem.
I had the AAF issue a number of years ago, not to mention Hyundai had to replace the high voltage battery and voltage regulator with only 24k miles on it. Now I have A/C issues with only 55k miles. Not real happy with this car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Checking to see how many people have had this problem?
Problem: "check active air flap system" coming on the center screen where you usually have the Eco score.
My’12 HSH has had this displayed for a few weeks now and I don’t know how to get it reset and/or if I should. I looked behind the front grill to make sure the flaps were open instead of shut to prevent more problems but still not sure why it’s on.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
My’12 HSH has had this displayed for a few weeks now and I don’t know how to get it reset and/or if I should. I looked behind the front grill to make sure the flaps were open instead of shut to prevent more problems but still not sure why it’s on.....
I have a 2011 and have this same issue. The flaps are stuck open and the CEL is on. I'll try to clear the code but hear it comes back in a day or two. 137,000 miles BTW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2016 hybrid with 103k that warning comes and goes and sometimes my flap are open sometimes closed but never got the check engine light. Maybe the module needs to be update/recalibrated

21 - 39 of 39 Posts