Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking to see how many people have had this problem?
Problem: "check active air flap system" coming on the center screen where you usually have the Eco score.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (RacerX @ Jul 28 2011, 10:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=482679
Checking to see how many people have had this problem?
Problem: "check active air flap system" coming on the center screen where you usually have the Eco score.

"Hybrid Sonata has underbody fairing full and active air flap system in the nose of many cars that block the radiator at high speeds to improve performance car drag."

Is your car overheating? Does the indicator tell you if it's stuck open or closed? Can you get the car to dealer to check if it's a real problem or a sensor failure? You could always have it towed, I suppose.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Tyrod @ Jul 29 2011, 06:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=482763
"Hybrid Sonata has underbody fairing full and active air flap system in the nose of many cars that block the radiator at high speeds to improve performance car drag."

Is your car overheating? Does the indicator tell you if it's stuck open or closed? Can you get the car to dealer to check if it's a real problem or a sensor failure? You could always have it towed, I suppose.
Yes I am getting it checked. No overheating right now. The warning does not tell you if it's stuck open or closed. I hope it's something simple. I was just wondering if I was the only one in the "world" with this issue. I searched the web and forums for someone else with the issue...but no luck.

·
Banned
694 Posts
My salesman told me they had one hybrid with a malfunctioning spoiler which they fixed.
The CEL problem remains; the new batch of NVLDs combined with the software upgrades have not solved all issues at this time.
We are getting into two months since the new valves and software have been available.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Dr. Awkward @ Jul 29 2011, 01:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=482929
My salesman told me they had one hybrid with a malfunctioning spoiler which they fixed.
The CEL problem remains; the new batch of NVLDs combined with the software upgrades have not solved all issues at this time.
We are getting into two months since the new valves and software have been available.
Is the spoiler you are talking about in front of the radiator?
Looks like more people are having the "CEL" problem without the "check active air flap system" problem. Are you still using your air conditioner with both the above problems?
Trying to keep a lid on this frustration.

·
Banned
694 Posts
QUOTE (RacerX @ Jul 30 2011, 01:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=483267
Is the spoiler you are talking about in front of the radiator?
Looks like more people are having the "CEL" problem without the "check active air flap system" problem. Are you still using your air conditioner with both the above problems?
Trying to keep a lid on this frustration.
Yes.
My car has not indicated any problem with the spoiler. AC is OK; we always use the econ mode.
The salesman said he thought the one they fixed had a vapor lock in a line which wouldn't move the spoiler.
This seems totally unrelated to the CEL issues.

My experience with the CEL started in late May with a new NVLD and software upgrade on June 16th.
My MPG was never affected. The car will drive fine with the light on.
Just clicked over 5,000 miles, 2,300 since first oil and filter (synthetic blend).
I got the mpg to read 50.5 on a 70 mile drive coming off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Current mpg is 37.9
A full battery charge takes just a few twisty turny switchbacks on an 8% down hill.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
I have customer car sitting here as I type and phone to ear waitng in tech assist to answer phone.

GDS will not commiunicate to AAF module, there is program in the upgrade screen, but it comes up "communication error" also.. nice of them to have modules that wont COMM...

Fella answered, searching files...

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
This should take care of problem..

Hook up GDS

Fault code scan the entire vehicle.. Pay particular attention to the Air Flap module... does it have a COMM failure, or did it find "no error code"

If it has a COMM fail, disconnect the battery in the trunk, remove the negative cable, and touch it to the positive clamp for approx 1 minute.

Install negative cable, and see if GDS will communicate with air flap module. If yes,, proceed to the ECU UPGRADE screen

Do the upgrade for the air flap module if it will read and carry on. When progam completes, bail out and clear all codes again, as programing makes for a couple CAN line codes, best to just do fault code search again, the clear all..

When done, put car in ready mode, turn on A/C, exit vehicle, and look under the bumper and see if the blinds is open.

Dont know if this is the ultimate remedy, but at least the flap worked when I was done withthis chassis

EDIT --> I had GDS screen shots to post for viewing pleasure, but this forum wont post pics from uploader ....

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Well,,, after "winging" the repair this morning, my advisor comes out and says Hyundai called, and they just release TSB about the issue at 1530hr CST.. he gave me the TSB so I could flag my time for the program..

I will need to read the papers tonight, and see if it is the same repairs steps I made to get the module to take the upgrade..

Stay tuned....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 1 2011, 05:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=484269
Well,,, after "winging" the repair this morning, my advisor comes out and says Hyundai called, and they just release TSB about the issue at 1530hr CST.. he gave me the TSB so I could flag my time for the program..

I will need to read the papers tonight, and see if it is the same repairs steps I made to get the module to take the upgrade..

Stay tuned....
I think the campaign code is "TG2" for the YF ECU update for the active air flaps #11-01-025 start date 08/01/2011. So I am crossing my fingers and hope that it works.
Still want to know how many others are having this problem. So far looks like only 2 or 3 others.
Hope this is the only problem I have. Although I did get the CEL for the time that it's been 90 F or above outside. Today it's cooler in the 80 F and the light is now off. I did not do anything different. Oh well. Will see what happens.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
We had another in this morning, and found the AAF module to not comunicate, so tech did the battery thing, module came online, programed, and flaps open with A/C at idle sitting still.

This car has other electric issues that assist wanted him to unplug the large orange cables at both ends and re-install.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far so good. Looks like everything is working well since the ECU for air flaps yesterday. I will keep an eye on how the hybrid feels under my normal driving conditions. Look at the mpg both in car computer calculations and the old fashion calculations. Looks like gas is on the rise again!
From what I can tell less than 10 cars mentioned on this forum with the check active air flap system problem.

·
Registered
243 Posts
QUOTE (RacerX @ Aug 4 2011, 09:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=485607
So far so good. Looks like everything is working well since the ECU for air flaps yesterday. I will keep an eye on how the hybrid feels under my normal driving conditions. Look at the mpg both in car computer calculations and the old fashion calculations. Looks like gas is on the rise again!
From what I can tell less than 10 cars mentioned on this forum with the check active air flap system problem.
I took my Sonata Hybrid (base), in today for my third CEL problem. They told me that were going to replace the active air flap system. Even though I haven't had that problem yet. they think that could be the reason the CEL keeps coming on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had another in this morning, and found the AAF module to not comunicate, so tech did the battery thing, module came online, programed, and flaps open with A/C at idle sitting still.

This car has other electric issues that assist wanted him to unplug the large orange cables at both ends and re-install.
SBR711
Do you know what is:
Adjust terminals for better pin drag on service disconnect?
Is that electrical,air flap,motor,battery issue?

·
Registered
243 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 1 2011, 05:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=484269

I think the campaign code is "TG2" for the YF ECU update for the active air flaps #11-01-025 start date 08/01/2011. So I am crossing my fingers and hope that it works.
Still want to know how many others are having this problem. So far looks like only 2 or 3 others.
Hope this is the only problem I have. Although I did get the CEL for the time that it's been 90 F or above outside. Today it's cooler in the 80 F and the light is now off. I did not do anything different. Oh well. Will see what happens.
After my third trip to the dealer, to fix my MIL/CEL problem, I was told that I needed to have my Air flap system and a valve replaced. Since that time my MIL/CEL came on for a fourth time. Tomorrow (9/13/11), I'll have the airflap and a valve replaced. Each time I've had the MIL/CEL come on, I've never had any gas mileage issues. Hopefully the replacements will fix the MIL/CEL problem. Also I've been sending messages to HyundaiUSA to let them know of my CEL problem. They keep telling me, their in contact with my dealership and that I shouldn't worry about getting the problem solved. Time will tell. I'm going to continue to bug the **** out of them or get another hybrid.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
OOOOps, wrecked car... here is the AAF assembly, they is open currently..

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OOOOps, wrecked car... here is the AAF assembly, they is open currently..
When I had my problem I looked through the grill and they where closed. I was told that should be open when stopped and at low speed. My car did not overheat. The dealer did repair and all is ok now. Nice to see whole picture of the AAF assembly.

sbr711 Do you know what is
"Adjust terminals for better pin drag on service disconnect" ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
are the air flaps suppose to close ALL THE WAY? i have a sonata here that it opens but when you go to actuate it close it barely closes,

i know this is a old topic sorry for bumping dont want to make a new thread

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same problem for 1 month now. I'm getting better gas mileage when check Active Air Flap System and check ENG on. I took my car to the dealer too many time, I just gave up with this car. I'll just town it there when it dead. NYC dealer suck!!! never will buy a Hyundai what a BIG F---k up I did buying this car... HONDA next time I miss my HONDA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is this covered under Warranty?

I Have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I bought a month ago and it has mileage of 16,000 only. Yesterday I felt a weird vibration when I started the car and it went away within a minute. I thought it was just because the engine was cold. But this morning I noticed same vibration and a brief warning message pop on on the screen "Check Active air flap system. Later on when the car was warm and I drove to walmart. It didn't show up when I started the engine on my way back. I read other people having same problem but their engine light came up too. which is not the case with me.
My vehicle is still under warranty. Is this issue covered under warranty?
if not How much I should expect to pay for this maintenance bill?

Thanks,

1 - 20 of 39 Posts