Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm planning to buy a black on black turbo limited in the next few days. Before I do, I'd like to ask you current owners a question. MotorTrend just released it's car of the year winner and in the article it talks about the 2.0t being too harsh. I don't know if they mean it's not smooth enough or if it's too noisy.

In complete honesty, (not jaded by the fact we all love this car) tell me if you've experienced similar feelings toward your new turbo. I've heard about the wastegate on startup, but tell me some honest opinions, being very critical, of the new motor. Does it match well to the tranny? If driven nicely, at what RPM does it usually shift in auto mode? I've also heard about the steering and have driven the 2.4l to confirm that the steering kinda sucks, but has it become a problem for any of you? Do any of you regret in any way purchasing the Turbo, or the Sonata itself for that matter? Thanks for the input everyone! BTW, this car is for my wife (of course). But I'm hoping they'll have a tuner and tunes for it soon so we can take advantage of it's Turbo'd goodness.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Analysis? What analysis? These silly COTY contests pit a 5-Series BMW against a Ford Fiesta, and end up choosing a Government Motors electric car for cryin' out loud. :laughing:

The 2.0T is getting plenty of positive reviews. I'd say test drive it yourself, then go with your heart (and wallet)!

·
Registered
386 Posts
my personal review

PROs
-no lag turbo engine
-smooth 6spd auto tranny
-no torque steer

CONs
-electric wastegate noise at start up sounds like a cheap car.
-4cylinder buzz(although very quiet)
-hard seat(i did get used to it lol)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm loving my turbo. The noise at start up only lasts few seconds, maybe a minute... but not so much and the idle rpm drops. I've heard the steering feels a lot different compared to the 2.4. Not sure of which models come with the "sport-tuned suspension & steering", if the 2.4 you drove had it, but mine has it and I'm pretty comfortable launching out of turns. The one thing I really do not like is that the car shifts automatically right by 6,000 rpms when jumping on it. In a car that red lines at 6,500 rpms, I want to be the one to shift it at 6,400 rpms w/ the paddel shifters :) I'm constantly skipping 2nd gear because I want to rev it up, but the a/t hits 2nd a second before I want to shift & I hit 3rd... and the car bogs out. I'm just used to driving a 5-speed the past 3 years, so I guess I just gotta get used to the automatic. But, I had a 3.4l Alero that when you down shifted out of "drive" the car would never go up gears until you manually did it. Of course it had a rev limiter... just something I liked better about that auto trans vs. the Sonata. The 6 speed I'm sure will prove itself to be a gas saver, but during my break in period, I guess you could say, I'm only averaging 17mpg. Started at 14, so I guess I'm getting better :) but, like I said above, I've been jumping on it a bit! I am an agressive driver... and this car makes driving agressive fun!!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (jtswenson05 @ Nov 16 2010, 01:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372191
Hi Folks,

I'm planning to buy a black on black turbo limited in the next few days. Before I do, I'd like to ask you current owners a question. MotorTrend just released it's car of the year winner and in the article it talks about the 2.0t being too harsh. I don't know if they mean it's not smooth enough or if it's too noisy.

In complete honesty, (not jaded by the fact we all love this car) tell me if you've experienced similar feelings toward your new turbo. I've heard about the wastegate on startup, but tell me some honest opinions, being very critical, of the new motor. Does it match well to the tranny? If driven nicely, at what RPM does it usually shift in auto mode? I've also heard about the steering and have driven the 2.4l to confirm that the steering kinda sucks, but has it become a problem for any of you? Do any of you regret in any way purchasing the Turbo, or the Sonata itself for that matter? Thanks for the input everyone! BTW, this car is for my wife (of course). But I'm hoping they'll have a tuner and tunes for it soon so we can take advantage of it's Turbo'd goodness.
Just curious, did you buy the car? I'm getting in on this three weeks late but just to chime in, the reviews kind of make me laugh because they run the cars hard through the different tests and compair, like one person said, a BMW or Mecedes 5 series car on comfort and quietness and a Porche or Lambo in the suspension Characteristics! Sheesh! Maybe I'm just lucky but I'm not having any of the problems that some on the site are talking about. Yes I do have a slight Torque Steer but not enough to complain about. As far as the drift to the left, on a flat road yes it does slightly but on a road with road crown which practically all of them have it drives perfectly straight with hands off the wheel. I absolutely love this car! You can be critical of any make for one reason or another but this car is HOT! I would not buy this car without the turbo, but thats just me. We got the Pearl White Limited 2.0T with Nav and just about everything else, and, the looks we get when we are anywhere is funny. This car is designed in a way that you cant stop looking at it! Oh and by the way, I bought ours for the wife too and she looks like a 7 series anything owner behind the wheel! I wouldnt worry about the turbo upgrades, the car is plenty fast as it is. Reading all the tech stuff, this car is an engineering master piece! I guess maybe you found that out already!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts