Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Accent
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
given that the new 2018 model is now out

if you've owned yours for a while, how it has held up? And just generally, have you been happy overall with the car. What are you favorite and least favorite things about the car?

would you upgrade to a 2018 model?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I got mine new in 2012.. No problems or repairs since then. (But I only have 22,000 miles so far).

The good: I wanted a gas miser and got one. I drive it mostly on the highway and I get a real, measured 35-38 MPG on average.

The bad: The electric steering wanders a bit and requires more driver input to stay in a straight line. The ride is fairly harsh. I've driven other small cars with a noticeably smoother ride. This could be from the small sidewall on the 195/50R16 Kumho tires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have a 2013 manual GLS hatch, owned since Aug 2012, it's a pretty decent car for what it is. We have about 85,000KM on it.

The only issue we have had is the gear lockout in VERY cold conditions, but a swap of synthetic man. tranny fluid fixed that.

I recently did a Morimoto D2S 4.0 retrofit, which made the car much safer to drive at night on backroads. This car should've come with projector HIDs, but it probably would've cost an extra $1,000.

For what it is, a fuel efficient econobox, it's good. As long as your expectations are of that, I found it to be ok. We mainly drive this car during the week as our other car is a 2010 Acura RDX (which isn't the most fuel efficient).

Our other car used to be a 2007 Civic Si, so going into the Accent was a big stepdown in terms on driving enjoyment. But then I realized that I enjoy paying for 87 octane and getting 7-8L/100KM much better.

Oh and the other fact that I can mash the pedal and still not be speedy is alright too. lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got mine new in 2012.. No problems or repairs since then. (But I only have 22,000 miles so far).

The good: I wanted a gas miser and got one. I drive it mostly on the highway and I get a real, measured 35-38 MPG on average.

The bad: The electric steering wanders a bit and requires more driver input to stay in a straight line. The ride is fairly harsh. I've driven other small cars with a noticeably smoother ride. This could be from the small sidewall on the 195/50R16 Kumho tires.
The "upgraded" low profile tires are horrible for this car. It has limited sound deadening due to being a subcompact economy. I have 2, the one with the base steelies has a softer, quieter ride. I've tried the oem hankook, continental and Michelin on the alloys, all wore down quickly and noisily.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
As for other issues with the car, besides the alloys, I have 3. The base is a stick, and at 181k I had to replace the clutch master and slave. Easy, cheap, and no big deal. I've also had issues with the rear disk brakes, which have a tendency to wear quickly, and if not changed as soon as the indicator starts squeaking, the calipers have a tendency to over extend and rip the boot. Lastly , I've had to reset the memory of the tcm on the auto twice, also no big deal. If you are looking for no frills economy, you cannot beat this car. It would take years for you to recoup the cost of a hybrid vs the accent if you count gas savings alone. And if you count maintenance costs, it would take longer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very solid car so far. I just put new General TR34s on my stock alloys so I can not comment on tire wear. OEM tires for this car SUCK!!!The stock brakes are okay. I recommend changing the pads and rotors to Power Stop kits. I am using the Z23 slotted and cross drilled rotors on mine. Lol might make me look ricer, but the even pad wear and heat dissipation was worth it. It seems as though Power Stop makes better rotors as well. Makes sure to use DOT 4. I use 5.1 for the higher temp rating.

Ride is a little rough on some roads, but it is a torsion bar suspension so it is to be expected. Tire noise can be real bad depending on your tires. Some of the plastic harnesses in the engine bay get brittle rather quickly, such as the ignition coil harness.

The electric steering on these is twitchy. That is honestly my least favorite thing about this car and it gets very annoying when wind is pushing you around. Granted this car is pretty light so that is part of the reason for the twitchy steering.

Some have sad the clutch master and slave wear out prematurely. Has not happened to me and hope it never does. Luckily, it is easier than changing the clutch itself lol.

Hyundai OEM parts are rather inexpensive compared to other manufacturers and dealers. Your cost may vary depending on your dealer.

There is the pinging issues some people have with this engine. Some recommend cooling your engine down more and others suggest using higher octane fuel due to the high compression in the Gamma engine. I personally go the octane route as higher temps in the cylinders can burn off more carbon. also, GDI engines all have a tendency to build up carbon on the intake valves due to the lack of gasoline misting the valves.

I've used Sea Foam every other oil change to help with that. There is a specific GDI cleaner out there that is recommended as well. Doing an "Italian Tune-Up" might be beneficial occasionally for removing deposits. So far, I have had no issues, but I am worried that I will in the future. Only time will tell.

Otherwise, Hyundai really stepped up their game from previous generations. Shifting is better, stereo is better, ride is better, road noise is less, reliability is way better than before, maintenance on this car is easy to do, and parts are very common now.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No worries

I've used Sea Foam every other oil change to help with that. There is a specific GDI cleaner out there that is recommended as well. Doing an "Italian Tune-Up" might be beneficial occasionally for removing deposits. So far, I have had no issues, but I am worried that I will in the future. Only time will tell.

.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you with certainty that at 425,000 that I have had no trouble with buildup. I have not used the recommended additive since under 100k. So, don't worry about the future.
As to the car itself, it is what it is. It is a good solid car which has few faults. If you keep the rear brake pads working smoothly, the caliper will not be a problem. Just a good honest car.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've yet to hear of anyone having to remove the intake and clean off carbon deposits from the intake valves manually with a walnut shell blaster. Many other GDI engine cars --BMWs, VWs, Minis-- have extensive, easily demonstrated histories of this kind of service being required to return the engine to proper performance. They even have specialized tools with adapters for each engine available for dealers and shops. The fact that I can't find anyone having this kind of thing done to their Accent is some kind of assurance that it's not a big deal for us. But on the other hand, maybe all it proves is that Accent owners are slack, don't notice when their engines misbehave, and won't pay for needed services. Who really knows?

Here's what I mean by intake-off media blasting clean out of the intake valves.

Eventually someone is going to have to take the intake manifold off their Accent GDI engine, and take some pictures of what's inside to resolve this issue. Maybe it will be me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is my third Accent and as it's not yet a year old, I can say with some certainty, I won't be buying a 2018 model. If you do though, be aware that the 2018 model is a new design so that could be an issue until they get the gremlins ironed out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have manual 2012 Accent GLS w/ 185k km on it (ca 110k miles). I have put 120k km (ca 75k miles) on it in less than two years now. In my experience this has been very, unbelievably reliable car. No mechanical issues whatsoever, except just today I had to get the stabilizer bar replaced since the worn-out bar has been clonking when driving over bumps for a while now.

Someone mentioned tire wear, but I have not seen anything unusual on that front.

The only relevant issue I have with the car is the stock headlights. I would love to have projector beams or perhaps even HIDs for better visibility on dark rural Ontario roads. And indeed the halogen projectors were introduced for the top-of-the-line GLS in 2013 or 2014...so that would be the only reason for me to switch to newer model...

·
Registered
15 Posts

I have 2 2012 Hyundai Accents, one with stock steelies and the other with the low profile aluminum wheels. I have tried Hankook, Continental and Michelin on the low profile, and the Michelin seemed best overall. Hankook and the continental had harsher rides and wore out faster. Now I have generals and they seem to be the best riding so far. Don't know about longevity yet. Yes, general is a subsidiary of continental, so I don't know why the big difference. If it wasn't for the car being a budget ride, I would look into a replacement set of wheels in the 15" range with a smaller patch and taller profile, but spending that kind of money isn't why I bought this car.

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Accent
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've replaced the "14 inch wheels on my Accent with "15's from a KIA Rio, with replaced the OEM tires with Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring™ tires, ( Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring | Cooper Tire) going with this set-up I've gotten a better ride

I have 2 2012 Hyundai Accents, one with stock steelies and the other with the low profile aluminum wheels. I have tried Hankook, Continental and Michelin on the low profile, and the Michelin seemed best overall. Hankook and the continental had harsher rides and wore out faster. Now I have generals and they seem to be the best riding so far. Don't know about longevity yet. Yes, general is a subsidiary of continental, so I don't know why the big difference. If it wasn't for the car being a budget ride, I would look into a replacement set of wheels in the 15" range with a smaller patch and taller profile, but spending that kind of money isn't why I bought this car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts