Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[I posted this to the regular Tucson forum before the PHEV forum was created. Admins - You might want to delete the original post.]

Our home has a 200 Amp (240 volt) main panel. We recently installed a new HVAC system, and as part of the research I calculated the potential loads for the HVAC system plus a possible Level 2 charger for my (on order) Tucson Plug-in Hybrid and a possible upgraded pool heater. Using the National Electrical Code (NEC) calculations, which an electrician would use, it appeared that we might exceed 200 Amps at times and, as a result, would have to upgrade our service from the street to 400 Amps. Depending on the (unknown) size of the buried service cables, this could cost many thousands of dollars. Even if the service cables were large enough, we were probably looking at hundreds of dollars for the panel upgrade.

I installed a Sense energy monitor system in the main panel ($300). So far the highest draw I have seen is 67 Amps. I can easily add a Level 2 charger (and upgraded pool heater) without having to worry about upgrading our service. The Sense energy monitor paid for itself in terms of cost avoidance and peace of mind.

If you are not comfortable working in an electrical panel, even with the main breaker turned off, PLEASE call an electrician to do the installation of the Sense energy monitor.

Note - I was told that tripping the main breaker due to an overload (i.e. after adding a Level 2 charger) is considered a nuisance and not a safety issue. There is the option of installing the charger, seeing what happens and upgrading the service if necessary.

All this said, I am going to start out just using 120-volt charging to see if that is sufficient. My wife's son-in-law commutes using a BEV and does fine with 120-volt charging. I'm retired, and there's this thing called a pandemic, so I really don't drive that much any more.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
9,164 Posts
Looks like they recommend a 60A/240v breaker? They don't really say what it actually draws, probably because it varies on need.

Really depends on your other loads and how you use them as to the need for a 400A panel. As you saw most don't use the 200 amp.

·
Registered
‘22 Tucson Limited PHEV, Deep Sea Blue & Charcoal
541 Posts
[I posted this to the regular Tucson forum before the PHEV forum was created. Admins - You might want to delete the original post.]

Our home has a 200 Amp (240 volt) main panel. We recently installed a new HVAC system, and as part of the research I calculated the potential loads for the HVAC system plus a possible Level 2 charger for my (on order) Tucson Plug-in Hybrid and a possible upgraded pool heater. Using the National Electrical Code (NEC) calculations, which an electrician would use, it appeared that we might exceed 200 Amps at times and, as a result, would have to upgrade our service from the street to 400 Amps. Depending on the (unknown) size of the buried service cables, this could cost many thousands of dollars. Even if the service cables were large enough, we were probably looking at hundreds of dollars for the panel upgrade.

I installed a Sense energy monitor system in the main panel ($300). So far the highest draw I have seen is 67 Amps. I can easily add a Level 2 charger (and upgraded pool heater) without having to worry about upgrading our service. The Sense energy monitor paid for itself in terms of cost avoidance and peace of mind.

If you are not comfortable working in an electrical panel, even with the main breaker turned off, PLEASE call an electrician to do the installation of the Sense energy monitor.

Note - I was told that tripping the main breaker due to an overload (i.e. after adding a Level 2 charger) is considered a nuisance and not a safety issue. There is the option of installing the charger, seeing what happens and upgrading the service if necessary.

All this said, I am going to start out just using 120-volt charging to see if that is sufficient. My wife's son-in-law commutes using a BEV and does fine with 120-volt charging. I'm retired, and there's this thing called a pandemic, so I really don't drive that much any more.
If you install a 40a charger (which could be more future proof but is way overkill for a PHEV that charges at 32amps and would require a 40a 240 breaker. a 40a chanrger would require a 50a breaker. That all said, your electrician can put devices on your panel to ensure there's no overloads and prioritize devices, essentially restrict charging if there's too much load, or restrict a/c running etc. It's the same way a properly install whole house generator is configured to make sure there' no overloads. a 200a service is perfectly suitable for any normal home with as many as two a/c condensers (or heat pumps), electric cooking and hot water, and a 40a EV charger and all the normal other stuff. It just has to be properly configured.

That all said, I'm finding I don't need anything more than the 12a level 1 charger. I have my car configured to allow charging only between 10PM and 12PM (the next day) and it is typically taking 5 hours or so every other day, like you I'm not driving nearly as much as before. So I've cancelled my plan to install either a Grizzl-E or Lectron charger.

·
Registered
2 Posts

That all said, I'm finding I don't need anything more than the 12a level 1 charger. I have my car configured to allow charging only between 10PM and 12PM (the next day) and it is typically taking 5 hours or so every other day, like you I'm not driving nearly as much as before. So I've cancelled my plan to install either a Grizzl-E or Lectron charger.
[/QU
Would you be able to tell me the length of the level 1 EVSE that comes with the car? I have to park outside and trying to determine if it will reach. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you be able to tell me the length of the level 1 EVSE that comes with the car? I have to park outside and trying to determine if it will reach. Thanks in advance!
I just posted similar questions.

·
Registered
541 Posts
15'

er, sorry, about 4.5 meters...

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just posted similar questions.

This is the holster I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Nozz...pd_rd_i=B07HL35PTW&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_77_t&th=1

The trickle charger (that's what it is) mounts on two screws if you want to mount it. And you can adjust it from 6a (the default) to 12a. Takes about 10 hours at 12a for a full charge from empty, using level 1 trickle charger.

Today I knew I had about a 30 mile trip so I intentionally left the hvac off and only used seat and steering whel warmers for a few minutes to see what range I could get largely without the ICE kicking in at all. It did for some reason run a bit at first but then I don't think it ran at all after that. I went 33 miles and had 20% charge left when I got home.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is the holster I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Nozz...pd_rd_i=B07HL35PTW&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_77_t&th=1

The trickle charger (that's what it is) mounts on two screws if you want to mount it. And you can adjust it from 6a (the default) to 12a. Takes about 10 hours at 12a for a full charge from empty, using level 1 trickle charger.

Today I knew I had about a 30 mile trip so I intentionally left the hvac off and only used seat and steering whel warmers for a few minutes to see what range I could get largely without the ICE kicking in at all. It did for some reason run a bit at first but then I don't think it ran at all after that. I went 33 miles and had 20% charge left when I got home.
Great minds think alike. I had just spotted that hanger/holster while wandering around Amazon and bookmarked it. I like that the J1772 handle sticks down instead of sticking out, especially since this whole rig will be on the outside of our house and next to the walkway to the front door.

Your reply about the EVSE assembly being 15 ft./4.5 meters surprised me. I've seen other posts stating it is 20-21 ft. long (although unclear if that is the total length or charger-to-J1772 length). Is Hyundai saving money by shortening the cable length?

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited PHEV
57 Posts

Regarding the 20 percent remaining charge left when you got home. Did you happen to notice how many miles of range were left at that point? In my experience about 13 percent of the battery is reserved for standard hybrid operation which would be about 1.8 kWhs. When I first got the car I first thought that the entire 100 percent could be used for electric mode, but found that the range gets to zero around 13 percent (plus or minus a few percent). I was wondering if there were a few miles of range left when you got home because your battery was depleted to 20 percent.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great minds think alike. I had just spotted that hanger/holster while wandering around Amazon and bookmarked it. I like that the J1772 handle sticks down instead of sticking out, especially since this whole rig will be on the outside of our house and next to the walkway to the front door.

Your reply about the EVSE assembly being 15 ft./4.5 meters surprised me. I've seen other posts stating it is 20-21 ft. long (although unclear if that is the total length or charger-to-J1772 length). Is Hyundai saving money by shortening the cable length?
To be honest, I eyeballed it. That was the end from the charger to the plug. There' a very short end on the other side of the charger that I have plugged in to a flush mount extension.

It's kind of a hassle to unravel the cord to measure but I'll do it over the weekend when I pull the car out but I seriously doubt it's 20'.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Regarding the 20 percent remaining charge left when you got home. Did you happen to notice how many miles of range were left at that point? In my experience about 13 percent of the battery is reserved for standard hybrid operation which would be about 1.8 kWhs. When I first got the car I first thought that the entire 100 percent could be used for electric mode, but found that the range gets to zero around 13 percent (plus or minus a few percent). I was wondering if there were a few miles of range left when you got home because your battery was depleted to 20 percent.
Don't count on any guidance from the car on range other than estimated gasoline range in the car. On the apps, nothing, ever. If it says how many miles are left on electric I haven't seen it. And, frankly, it really is pointless. It all depends on how you drive. As for how far down the electric will deplete, I've had it go down to 14%.

Every time I get gas or charge I log in detail in a spreadsheet. As of this moment I've got 1,451 miles on it, I've put gas in once since I brought it home back on 11/22 and still have about 1/3 of a tank left. Counting gas I put in it in NY and when I first got home, and then one time since I've spent $76.31 on gas, $36.55 charging at home (based on 14.3 cents per Kwh), and I charged once at a level 2 charger at the hotel when i bought the car. That cost $8.14 at a ripoff rate of 59 cents per Kwh, plus $3 for the honor. Total energy cost so far exactly $124. Energy cost per mile is 8.7 cents (it will go down a lot more yet when the weather breaks and when the ICE mileage from the drive home from NY gets diluted). As a comparison, my wife's Prius averages about 6.5 cents per mile for gas at $3.50 a gallon at 54MPG.

·
Registered
541 Posts
They're not Hyundai branded chargers....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Where are you seeing an estimated electric range?

·
Registered
541 Posts
The estimated miles of electric range is shown on the driver’s screen (where you can scroll through and see the digital MPH), and on the right side of the center stack screen (split screen view). I can post a photo.
You're referring to the PHEV page on the infotainment display?

·
Registered
57 Posts
You're referring to the PHEV page on the infotainment display?
No, but it is there also. On the driver’s screen in the center you can toggle different information to display including a digital speedometer, and the remaining gas and electric range. Also, if you have set up the center stack screen for split view, different information can be shown on the right side split like gas and electric remaining range.

·
Registered
541 Posts
No, but it is there also. On the driver’s screen in the center you can toggle different information to display including a digital speedometer, and the remaining gas and electric range. Also, if you have set up the center stack screen for split view, different information can be shown on the right side split like gas and electric remaining range.
You're talking about between the two digital gauges? I have that set to engine temp so I can watch that relative to the ICE running. I'll have to fiddle with it some more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't count on any guidance from the car on range other than estimated gasoline range in the car. On the apps, nothing, ever. If it says how many miles are left on electric I haven't seen it. And, frankly, it really is pointless. It all depends on how you drive. As for how far down the electric will deplete, I've had it go down to 14%.

Every time I get gas or charge I log in detail in a spreadsheet. As of this moment I've got 1,451 miles on it, I've put gas in once since I brought it home back on 11/22 and still have about 1/3 of a tank left. Counting gas I put in it in NY and when I first got home, and then one time since I've spent $76.31 on gas, $36.55 charging at home (based on 14.3 cents per Kwh), and I charged once at a level 2 charger at the hotel when i bought the car. That cost $8.14 at a ripoff rate of 59 cents per Kwh, plus $3 for the honor. Total energy cost so far exactly $124. Energy cost per mile is 8.7 cents (it will go down a lot more yet when the weather breaks and when the ICE mileage from the drive home from NY gets diluted). As a comparison, my wife's Prius averages about 6.5 cents per mile for gas at $3.50 a gallon at 54MPG.
It would be nice if the Bluelink app collected total kWhs used as well as gallons of gas used. Our 2013 Ford C-Max Energi PHEV mobile app accumulated a lot more data than the current Bluelink app. BTW, I got this from Amazon to accumulate total kWhs used and it works well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRZAFAF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
541 Posts
It would be nice if the Bluelink app collected total kWhs used as well as gallons of gas used. Our 2013 Ford C-Max Energi PHEV mobile app accumulated a lot more data than the current Bluelink app. BTW, I got this from Amazon to accumulate total kWhs used and it works well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MRZAFAF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is what I installed Tuesday https://www.amazon.com/Emporia-Monitor-Circuit-Electricity-Metering/dp/B08CJGPHL9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=327WUDA0E549A&keywords=emporia+vue+gen+2&qid=1645237487&sprefix=emporia+vue,aps,77&sr=8-3

I haven't seen one Hyundai app that I'd rate higher than 3 on a 1-10 scale. Hyundai Finance being a 0.5 out of 10, BluLink around a 3, MyHundai around 3.5. It is what concerns me about buying a Hyundai EV, the coding since EVs are really computers with wheels.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.