Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seriously don't know how this one fits in with their ovreall lineup.

u have the genesis coupe already with the 2.0 turbo, why a sonata yf turbo ?

the sonata hybrid makes sense especially if priced at 26-27k range but a turbo? I don't know.

now what they should've done is a sonata coupe, hot **** the yf sonata in coupe configuration would have rocked the boat in the coupe market that is dominated by the infiniti g37 and honda accord coupe.

hmm let's see, a coupe that has a 110 wheel base, 189.5 long, that's luxury coupe territory that is mostly occupied by the over priced g37 coupe and the economic looking accord coupe.

oh wells.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Turbo will do pretty well in Canada considering it will give us things we don't have now such as dual exhaust, sport tuned suspension, 18" wheels, paddle shifter. The $2500 they are asking for the turbo is well worth it to get all the other goodies. For the US it will be a harder sell as the premium charged is pretty much just getting you a turbo engine. But they will sell them all just for the turbo by itself.

I'm sure it is also released just to battle the V6 out there. Even though the GDI does a great job there will be people who would look at a Accord or Camry an go it has this much HP it must be faster. So by having the turbo they can claim more HP numbers than the competition V6.

Plus it probably didn't take much money to design it. Sure they had to do tweaks under the hood but the car itself is pratically a SE upgraded. So it makes sense to bring it out or such little investment compared to designing say a coupe or convertible.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
For somebody with a family and kids or who needs to carry more than one (normal-sized) passenger on a regular basis, the Genesis Coupe simply doesn't make sense. The Sonata Turbo offers performance with everyday practicality.

Kudos on your photoshop, though. Looks good! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
623 Posts
And this thread is going to be considered :eek:fftopic: and moved to the turbo thread shortly... (hahaha, happened while I was typing. Turbo thread = useless!)

While it's still here I will add my $0.02 and say I'd rather have a turbo 4 than V6 option. I think a sonata coupe will step on the genesis coupes toes more than the four door turbo, but I do agree with Maya that a sonata coupe would be badass! Big **** semi-luxurious touring coupe!

·
Registered
550 Posts
A waste? I view it as a necessity. First, the 274hp 2.0-liter Sonata turbo engine is much different than the 210 hp 2.0-liter turbo Genesis engine. Second, a large percentage of family sedan buyers want powerful acceleration. The Camry, Altima, Mazda6, and Legacy just to name a few all have optional engines that propel those cars from 0-60 mph in the very low six to high five second range. The Accord V6 sedan and Passat are in the mid-six second range to 60 mph. The 2.4-liter Sonata is around eight seconds to 60 mph. It's not even close. Without the optional turbo engine that puts the turbo Sonata in the mid-six second range to 60 mph, Hyundai would most certainly lose a lot of sales to these competitors. The turbo is a necessity.

·
Banned
873 Posts
.......because maybe a family man wants a well built, good looking powerful car that has good gas mileage for a descent price that has 4 doors to haul groceries and kids as well instead of buying a cramped rear seat 2 door genesis 2.0t or cannot afford a genesis sedan like you have mentioned which is alot more than a sonata..... think before you make threads plzzz

·
Registered
232 Posts
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Oct 25 2010, 12:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366151
A waste? I view it as a necessity. First, the 274hp 2.0-liter Sonata turbo engine is much different than the 210 hp 2.0-liter turbo Genesis engine. Second, a large percentage of family sedan buyers want powerful acceleration. The Camry, Altima, Mazda6, and Legacy just to name a few all have optional engines that propel those cars from 0-60 mph in the very low six to high five second range. The Accord V6 sedan and Passat are in the mid-six second range to 60 mph. The 2.4-liter Sonata is around eight seconds to 60 mph. It's not even close. Without the optional turbo engine that puts the turbo Sonata in the mid-six second range to 60 mph, Hyundai would most certainly lose a lot of sales to these competitors. The turbo is a necessity.
also just funny how Hyundai started the Sonata marketing with the 200 HP engine is so powerful you do not need a six cylinder.

·
Registered
277 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Oct 25 2010, 07:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366245
also just funny how Hyundai started the Sonata marketing with the 200 HP engine is so powerful you do not need a six cylinder.

Well, you don't. The turbo is only 2.0 liters. All the hp of a 6 without sacrificing fuel mileage.

·
Registered
550 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Oct 25 2010, 07:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366245
There is difference between the amount of power a car needs for safe driving and the amount of power Hyundai needs for marketing. Although we may all enjoy a sub-15 second quarter mile car, none of us NEED one for daily driving.

As I read this month's issue of Road and Track, I perused their Road Test Summary section. Granted 90% of the cars tested were performance cars, but I noticed that 66% of the cars tested had quarter miles times of 13.9 seconds or less (many were in the 11 and 12 second range) . 22% of the cars had quarter miles times between 14.0 and 14.9. seconds. And lastly, 12% of the car had quarter miles times of 15.0 seconds or higher. It wasn't that long ago that 11-14 seconds was the normal 0-60 time for cars and now that's become the new quarter mile time.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Im considering the turbo version myself. where else am i going to get this kind of umph with that kind of fuel economy. If this engine would have needed premium I would have looked the other way, but it takes regular ! what? thats crazy! the only thing im a bit disappointed in is that the only upgrade other than the turbo that separates it from the standard SE is dual climate control. Panasonic roof or backup camera would have been nice

·
Registered
232 Posts
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Oct 26 2010, 11:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366429
There is difference between the amount of power a car needs for safe driving and the amount of power Hyundai needs for marketing. Although we may all enjoy a sub-15 second quarter mile car, none of us NEED one for daily driving.

As I read this month's issue of Road and Track, I perused their Road Test Summary section. Granted 90% of the cars tested were performance cars, but I noticed that 66% of the cars tested had quarter miles times of 13.9 seconds or less (many were in the 11 and 12 second range) . 22% of the cars had quarter miles times between 14.0 and 14.9. seconds. And lastly, 12% of the car had quarter miles times of 15.0 seconds or higher. It wasn't that long ago that 11-14 seconds was the normal 0-60 time for cars and now that's become the new quarter mile time.
Some people are saying Hyundai is overstating HP for marketing purposes.

·
Banned
7 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Oct 27 2010, 09:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366844
Some people are saying Hyundai is overstating HP for marketing purposes.
Quite possible. The same was said about the 2006 V6 Sonata, although the concern was the 236 HP V6 was actually putting out more than

what was stated. In 2007 they 'dumbed' down the performance of the V6, and in 2009 redesigned the V6 with an extra 15 HP they say. However

Car & Driver still claims the old Lambda V6 can outrun the new 2.0 turbo. :460: In fact after reading their observation I wouldn't want the 2.0, no.

Yet the mileage is very impressive! :clap:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Big reason the 2.0T 0-60 time is a little slower than anticipated is due to the fact Hyundai reduced the available torque in lower gears to prevent torque-steer like the Mazdaspeed 3. Plus the turbo is conservatively tuned in my opinion (to achieve gas mileage figures). A quick re-flash would yield sub 6 second 0-60 times while maintaining respectable gas mileage.

·
Registered
550 Posts
This month's Car and Driver (December 2010, page 120) has a short take on the Sonata turbo. Their test results showed a 0-60 time of 6.2 seconds and 1/4 mile time of 14.7 seconds @ 99 mph. That's the fastest of any magazine test yet and is very respectable. C&D's overall evaluation of the car was very favorable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Nov 2 2010, 09:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368514
Would that void the warranty?
Yes it would void the warranty unfortunately, unless Hyundai offered it. But who cares haha :grin: jk jk. Warranty is a big part in buying this brand. Wonder if Hyundai will come out with performance parts and embrace that it is a turbo and not a V6 replacement?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just purchased a Limited Turbo last weekend and I have to say that I have been very pleased with the performance and fuel economy. On the 130+ mile trip home from the dealership, I got 36 MPG while on the Interstate with the cruise set at 73-74 MPH. I'm averaging 28 MPG on my commute to work on mostly hilly, country roads and a little bit of city driving. If I ever have to put gas in this car, I'll do a manual calculation with the miles driven/gallons to fill.

I test drove an SE and SE turbo at my local dealership and I felt that for a 4 cylinder, the regular SE had more than adequate power. With that said, I'm sure glad I was able to find the Limited Turbo that I was looking for. :grin:

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (buckeye45 @ Nov 2 2010, 09:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368526
I just purchased a Limited Turbo last weekend and I have to say that I have been very pleased with the performance and fuel economy. On the 130+ mile trip home from the dealership, I got 36 MPG while on the Interstate with the cruise set at 73-74 MPH. I'm averaging 28 MPG on my commute to work on mostly hilly, country roads and a little bit of city driving. If I ever have to put gas in this car, I'll do a manual calculation with the miles driven/gallons to fill.

I test drove an SE and SE turbo at my local dealership and I felt that for a 4 cylinder, the regular SE had more than adequate power. With that said, I'm sure glad I was able to find the Limited Turbo that I was looking for. :grin:
Can you comment on the highway ride ? Over seams and bumps, road noise, etc.
Does the Limited have 18" wheels ?
My Dealer kepps saying the Limited Turbos have 17", but the online specs say 18". I'm very nervous on how hard the 18"ers highway ride is with the 45 series tires.
I'm almost all highway on my commute over loud concrete, bridge transitions, etc.
TIA. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts