Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a number of Hyundai's in the last few years and they have all required the engine oil to be changed (at least) every six months. Now that I have got my last free oil change from the purchasing dealer, I looked up the requirement in the owners manual. I prefer the chart that was always in the earlier manuals, but there is not one for the normal maintenance schedule tho there is one for the severe. The text in the normal section is confusing but it seem to be saying the requirement for the YF Normal driving conditions is now 7500 miles or ONE YEAR. Is that everyone's understanding? You can see the page from the owners manual here:

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Please resist the knee jerk reaction to lecture me that unless I change my oil every (fill in blank here) that it will turn into sludge. I just need to know if I am reading it correctly.
thanks

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yup, that how I read it.

I have been doing mine every six months since I had been driving 850 miles per month, so six months versus 7500 miles wasn't that great a difference. Maybe I will start stretching it further!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I change my Sonata's and Elantra's oil every 7,000ish miles.
I have two oil analysis reports in the sticky thread at the top of the forum. I had those done to make sure going that long was ok...which it is.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
This is what I have done so far with our two vehicles:

Santa Fe every 3750 miles regular Dino oil

Sonata Turbo every 3000 miles regular Dino oil

So far no problems!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes..conventional. The days of yonder where it was recommended to change every 3,000 miles or 3 months is way outdated. Over the past couple of decades engines have begun to run cleaner, the additives in the oil have become much better and the filters are much better. All this allows you to run your oil longer. The main reason why US manuals still state low interval levels for some cars is because of dealer pushback in that they would lose service dept income. Europe has been on a 10k interval for years now. Hyundai actually wanted to go to a 10k interval in the US but the dealers screamed. So they put it at 7,500 for the normal service schedule.

Yes, you can change your oil every 3,000 miles but really that is overkill and wasting money. Granted, turbo's do require a different interval just due to the difference in how the engine runs.

But it also depends on your driving conditions and style. If you are uncomfortable about running your oil for that length, get an analysis done. $35 to ease your mind. Blackstone Labs Just request your free kit and then take a sample during your next oil change.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
To chime in...

I would say its more your own personal preference in accordance with the service guide. Personally, I do not go over 6K miles between changes and I use synthetic.

Surely, many will chime in with the "wasting money" comments but I drive my car a bit harder than most so I work the oil a little bit more than other members might.

Also, with the cost of an oil change ~$30 after tax, you are only spending about $90/yr on this maintenance. (based on driving 3K miles/month). I also do my own changes and stocked up on OEM filters cheap, so that would put me nearer to $22/change or $66/year.

All to make sure that proper maintenance as well as keeping the 10/100K warranty.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I roll my eyes every time I hear the Autozone commercial on the radio.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm an every 5,000 mile guy, too. I tried going to 7,500 on my last vehicle, and kept missing marks. So every 5,000 makes it easy to remember, and if I do forget, I know I am doing no harm if it takes until 5,500 before I get the chance to make that stop.

Knightro2: you said "Hyundai actually wanted to go to a 10k interval in the US but the dealers screamed. So they put it at 7,500 for the normal service schedule." Do you have any evidence to support this? I am not challenging you. Rather I'd like something concrete to support my position when I have to argue with the dealer who wants me to come in even sooner than I already do. I'd love to wave that fact in t heir face!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I'm an every 5,000 mile guy, too. I tried going to 7,500 on my last vehicle, and kept missing marks. So every 5,000 makes it easy to remember, and if I do forget, I know I am doing no harm if it takes until 5,500 before I get the chance to make that stop.

Knightro2: you said "Hyundai actually wanted to go to a 10k interval in the US but the dealers screamed. So they put it at 7,500 for the normal service schedule." Do you have any evidence to support this? I am not challenging you. Rather I'd like something concrete to support my position when I have to argue with the dealer who wants me to come in even sooner than I already do. I'd love to wave that fact in t heir face!
Don't bother arguing as it won't change anything. However that should give you a good idea what is going on and you might want to shop around for another dealer. Adhere to the manual and you will be golden.

·
Registered
729 Posts

I read an article about that a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can dig it up. If I find it I'll post it in here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We've got less than 4k miles in just over a year - short commutes but it's still highway perhaps 70%. I've only had to change it once (the first 3k change) due to mileage. The manual says "OR 6 months". Should I be following that then? Nobody ever talks about time intervals, just mileage. I mean oil is not getting worn or broken down by sitting in the driveway over time - at least not within a year - is it?

·
Registered
920 Posts
We've got less than 4k miles in just over a year - short commutes but it's still highway perhaps 70%. I've only had to change it once (the first 3k change) due to mileage. The manual says "OR 6 months". Should I be following that then? Nobody ever talks about time intervals, just mileage. I mean oil is not getting worn or broken down by sitting in the driveway over time - at least not within a year - is it?
From my understanding it still breaks down even if its just sitting. I know gasoline breaks down and after a year the gas isnt as good as it was fresh on day 1. I'm no oil expert. I just changed my oil. Only at 29k and the manual says 30k so my next change won't be until 34k or so. But I will be always checking the oil after 3 months to be safe. This is the very first car I own.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Is there a TSB out on the OEM filter thing? I was talking to my mechanic whom I respect quite a bit. He's been my mechanic for over 8 years and has never done me wrong. He wasn't aware of this filter/knocking issue and said it wasn't necessary on this model Hyundai. I would just like to bring something into him that is proof other than word of mouth...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Is there a TSB out on the OEM filter thing? I was talking to my mechanic whom I respect quite a bit. He's been my mechanic for over 8 years and has never done me wrong. He wasn't aware of this filter/knocking issue and said it wasn't necessary on this model Hyundai. I would just like to bring something into him that is proof other than word of mouth...
Here it is:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Yes..conventional. The days of yonder where it was recommended to change every 3,000 miles or 3 months is way outdated. Over the past couple of decades engines have begun to run cleaner, the additives in the oil have become much better and the filters are much better. All this allows you to run your oil longer. The main reason why US manuals still state low interval levels for some cars is because of dealer pushback in that they would lose service dept income. Europe has been on a 10k interval for years now. Hyundai actually wanted to go to a 10k interval in the US but the dealers screamed. So they put it at 7,500 for the normal service schedule.

Yes, you can change your oil every 3,000 miles but really that is overkill and wasting money. Granted, turbo's do require a different interval just due to the difference in how the engine runs.

But it also depends on your driving conditions and style. If you are uncomfortable about running your oil for that length, get an analysis done. $35 to ease your mind. Blackstone Labs Just request your free kit and then take a sample during your next oil change.
VW is now 10k intervals on synthetic. Still seems like a long time for the filter though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OP here. You said "Nobody ever talks about time intervals". That was the whole intent of the post to begin with. Only one response seemed to pick up on that concern.
You said "The manual says "OR 6 months". The manual is very confusing on this point. It appears to me to be saying that the six months requirement is only for the turbo. There is a link to the manual page in the Original Post.
I don't put 7500 miles on my car a whole year, so I'm going with a 9-10 month interval.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts