Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, it’s a pleasure.

Does anyone know how to install a t3 turbo blanket on your turbo? I don't have the slightest idea of how to get mine of on and pictures or diagrams would be great appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't have one, but from pictures, it looks like you just put the cover over the large housing of the turbo, and use the springs to pull the ends together to hold it on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have one, but from pictures, it looks like you just put the cover over the large housing of the turbo, and use the springs to pull the ends together to hold it on.
I may be wrong but believe you’re supposed to wrap the blanket around the hot side of a turbo, but looking at the design of that section of the turbo the manifold and wastegate arm would both be in the way?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the purpose of a turbo blanket?
A turbo blanket is used to contain the heat generated by the hot side of a turbo and lower ambient temperatures under the hood as well as protect wear items such as the plastic wastegate actuator which is about a foot away. Commonly one can experience quicker spool time as a result. Turbo blankets do not damage one’s turbo so long as the proper practice of allowing one’s engine to idle and cool down before shutting off the engine. This protects against the fear that the oil sitting in the hot side of the turbo will bake and cause damage. This is simply not the case and from what I have seen the use of a turbo blanket only increased average oil temperate by 1-2 degrees within a margin of error.

·
Registered
799 Posts
It is supposed to go over the hot side, maybe the gap can be oriented so it doesn't interfere

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
This is a waste of time, We have 2 heat shields on the lower half and upper half of the manifold. If those are in place they're probably going to work better than a turbo blanket that doesn't cover the upper part of the manifold. Also the way the turbo blanket is designed it would get in the way of the wastegate rod, so you would have to be creative getting around that.

I just replaced my turbo on Monday and had to remove and reinstall both of those those heatshields. I have also seen builds (wg mod) without either heat shield.

A turbo blanket for this car is just going to be a waste of money and time time unless you go with a big turbo/aftermarket manifold setup. Then in that case you can't use the stock heat shields.

Old pic from when I had a valve cover gasket leak so you can see the upper heat shield.

How the stock turbo looks off the car

So yeah, don't do it. Spend your money on something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a waste of time, We have 2 heat shields on the lower half and upper half of the manifold. If those are in place they're probably going to work better than a turbo blanket that doesn't cover the upper part of the manifold. Also the way the turbo blanket is designed it would get in the way of the wastegate rod, so you would have to be creative getting around that.

I just replaced my turbo on Monday and had to remove and reinstall both of those those heatshields. I have also seen builds (wg mod) without either heat shield.

A turbo blanket for this car is just going to be a waste of money and time time unless you go with a big turbo/aftermarket manifold setup. Then in that case you can't use the stock heat shields.
View attachment 451032 View attachment 451033

Old pic from when I had a valve cover gasket leak so you can see the upper heat shield

So yeah, don't do it. Spend your money on something else.
While I do agree it is a massive waste of time to attempt, the benefits of turbo blankets are well documented. It is unfortunate the hot side of our turbos are connected directed to the manifold instead of bolted on. The heat shields on the turbo are worth next to a bag a chips as far as heat management goes and do little to remedy turbo or engine bay temps. Looking at your upper heat shield it appears your valve cover gasket leaked in the same area mine did, you can attribute that to the poor management of heat in the area and that gasket is a common issue for our engines.

If you don’t mind me asking why did you need to replace your turbo?
btw your mods are beautiful please post more pics for the rest of us.

·
Registered
480 Posts
There is a another opinion. Volvo for years had radiators to cool the turbo charged air going to the intake manifold. Colder air gives a bigger bang.. Now vendors are touting a blanket to keep in the massive heat generated. Consequently the intake air temperature will rise and CUTDOWN on the output of the engine. Intake manifold temperatures will rise since they are next door to the exhaust turbines.
I would suggest a non conductive heat break between the two sets of turbines and even a vented hood just above the intake turbines to evacuate heat.. WOW a vented hood for another reason than the air breather.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking why did you need to replace your turbo?
btw your mods are beautiful please post more pics for the rest of us.
It didn't quite make it to 190K miles.

My car has been tuned by Lap 3 stage 1.5+ in July 2016 around 45k miles, roughly 8 months after I got the car. I went to the stage 2 tune last year in October and put down 300whp on a dynojet. I drive roughly 750 miles a week so the car has a lot of miles on it.

Pretty much I tried to push it and the turbo broke from the years of use. It's pretty impressive to get almost 200K out of a stock turbo.

I already wrote what happened here...

To add to that thread, I picked up the gaskets and the one for the oil drain was the wrong one (they ordered me the one for the oil feed on the block side). Well I made one out of gasket material, I put a good bit of effort into it and it would have worked. But sadly when installing the oil feed banjo bolt it just snapped with no pressure and I couldn't do anything. Luckily I had a rental car for the week and was returning it that day, and the dealer on my way to work (you know that 80 mile one way drive) had both the oil return gasket and the banjo bolt. I returned my rental car, they drove me home and I fixed it that night.

Since then I've put about 1500 miles on the car with the new turbo. It's dead quiet up to about 8psi, then you can hear it and it runs away. I normally spike 27psi, and hold around 25psi to redline. It has a bit more power than the stock turbo, but there are times I feel like the stock turbo fit the powerband better (maybe it's because I can't hear it anymore). This turbo with a wg mod and methanol injection the car will make 380-400whp. That's why I had it built, but since I had it laying around I figured it was a good time to use it. I have about $700 in the turbo and Lap 3 sells them for $1350.

Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Wheel
Auto part Tire Wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Headlamp
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Full-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Automotive design
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Auto part Mid-size car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.