Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I realize this has been asked before, but most of the posts I found were quite old so I'm not sure they apply to the current variants of these tires. I've got a 2007 Sonata Limited V6, tire size 215/55-17. A bit over 45,000 miles on the stock OEM Michelin Energy. I'm not a super aggressive driver, and have been happy enough with the Michelins, but don't plan to get them again due to the price. I am currently looking at 3 tires:

1. Kumho Solus KH16
2. Kumho Ecsta ASX KU21
3. Falken Ziex ZE-912

I had two sets of Falkens on my old car and really liked them but it was a very different car from the Sonata. The Ecstas are only rated for 30,000 miles - makes me think they are bit too far on the "performance - practicality" continuum for my taste - but I'm willing to consider them. The Solus have a whopping 60k warranty - but maybe the traction sucks?

What I'm looking for is a jack of all trades really. Noise is important - I'd rather they not be any louder than the OEM Michelins. With that said, a good tradeoff between performance and treadwear is fine. And no, I don't want separate winter tires. Here in Virginia, all season are fine for most winters.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The KH16s totally suck in the snow - even worse than the worn out stock Michelins. I ended up getting a separate set of winter tires. The KH16s are decent in the wet, and fairly quite. I have about 45k on mine and they're looking pretty warn - no way they'll go 60k.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had Falken Ziex ZE-912 on wifey's 2007 limited. She is hard on cars. These tires lasted about 20k miles (yes they were rotated every 5K). Maybe you will get better life from yours.

They were nice, quiet and handled good.

I bought the hard, nosiey high mileage Firestone FR710 to replace them....hopefully she gets 40K out of those..

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used the Falken Ziex ZE 912 on my Elantra as well. (15" wheels). It was a great set of tires! Was pretty good in the winter, great traction in the summer.

Unfortunately, that car got totaled last summer so I didn't get to use it until the treads are out. As for the accident, my friend who was driving to pick me up totaled it. I'm not sure what happened but he told me he fell asleep and the next thing he knew, the car was bouncing up and down the pavement and landed upside down. :( The grip on the tire was too good I guess? Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing..

·
Registered
550 Posts
Go to the Tirerack and check out the Pirelli P4. Great reviews. Exceptionally long life. Fair price. You might like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Jul 30 2010, 07:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346242
Go to the Tirerack and check out the Pirelli P4. Great reviews. Exceptionally long life. Fair price. You might like it.
I don't see that the P4 is available in the Limited size (215 55-17). The P6 is but it's a new tire with no reviews.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum - not on my original list, but it reviews really well :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Platinums are not a bad tire, had a set on mine, lasted about 35K ( we have really bad roads here) Replaced them with Goodyear Comfortreads. Love them so far.

·
Registered
505 Posts
QUOTE (Azmordean @ Jul 30 2010, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346265
I don't see that the P4 is available in the Limited size (215 55-17). The P6 is but it's a new tire with no reviews.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum - not on my original list, but it reviews really well :)

Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum's were my 2nd choice...rated very good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts