Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my 2011 Sonata Limited since 2/26/10, and until one week ago, no problems with XM radio. Then one day I cut radio on and message appeared on screen "XM loading". Well, it never loaded. I called XM/Sirius and they refreshed. I don't think that actually corrected the problem, as the sound came on just a fraction before she said she was sending the refresh signal. Yesterday, same thing happened ("XM loading" message). I called again and refresh did not help. After about an hour, when I went out to start car, radio was o.k. Any ideas as to what is happening? I am in my 90 day trial period now, and had planned on purchasing subscription, but if this is a recurring problem, I am wondering if I want to do this.

One support tech suggested I contact dealer and have them "reset" the radio and "ping" it. Can anyone explain this. Thanks in advance.

(P.S. title should read "Radio" not "Radion"

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are a few post around the 5g forum that has this problem noted, but no "fix" if you will. I have had it a few times but the
problem has gone away for the last few weeks. I seems as though if you have the loading problem that it will load if you shut the CAR off
and then back on, not very convenient is it?
Sorry we could not be of more help but from what I read no one knows just how to fix this.

When someone says "ping" I think of it as a signal being sent downstream to a device and that device responds back with some information.
In the case of XM I think Refresh is the better term, a one-way signal sent to a device to make that device perform a function.

Chuck

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just out of curiosity, referring to the OP, your car wasn't somewhere where the satellite couldn't get signal, was it?

I get the 'XM Loading' thing everyday until I leave my office's parking garage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. It was open to satellite. I get the message every day for just a second as it loads, but this was like it was stuck on loading.

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (AWAHOO @ May 1 2010, 08:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318519
No. It was open to satellite. I get the message every day for just a second as it loads, but this was like it was stuck on loading.
Ok so you're saying that it's stuck on the 'loading' message? It's normal for the message to appear for like maybe 2 seconds. My has been doing that
since the beginning. I've never had a problem with it being stuck in the loading phase. You should take it to the dealer and see what they tell you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (wozzy @ May 1 2010, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318533
Ok so you're saying that it's stuck on the 'loading' message? It's normal for the message to appear for like maybe 2 seconds. My has been doing that
since the beginning. I've never had a problem with it being stuck in the loading phase. You should take it to the dealer and see what they tell you.
I have the same problem. Today I went to the dealership for an oil change ( I drive alot) and asked about this problem also. The service worker said he didn't know what it was, but I could pull the XM 'fuze' out when it happens. This should fix it, but I will also lose all my presets. Umm.. thanks but no thanks.

I have found no precursors to this problem, it just happens. It happens about once a day now. I can be listening to XM, park at a store. Get back in and it goes straight to XM loading ( I've noticed that I don't see the station name for a second before XM loading displays, as I normally do when it loads for a second and then actually functions properly) I usually turn the car off for about 1 minute and then restart, problem fixed. This is definitely a software problem on the Sonata. I emailed the corp customer support today, after the service man gave me an unsolution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. It's happened to me a 1/2 dozen times over the past two months. Hyundai says call XM, XM says call Hyundai. I dont have time to deal with either, so I'll just wait until I have to go in. Hopefully enough people complain about this issue and a recall is initiated. I personally think its a software problem and my require replacement, but we'll see. Can't stand when dealerships dont take responsibility of issues. The fact is, it's a Hyundai problem and they should be working with XM on the customer behalf to resolve it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got my solution! I was resigned to just putting up with the problem, as it happened so randomly, but I happened to be near my dealer when it happened yesterday. I let the radio stay at "XM loading" and took it to the dealer. Service manager said his best guess was that it was an antenna problem. After an hour or so, the parts manager went out to my car, came back in, and the service manager said he was ordering a NEW RADIO for me. They will call me for installation when it arrives. Guess I need to record all my presets other set-up info. Sure hope this solves the problem.

P.S. The whole time they were trying to diagnose, they were in contact with XM/Sirius.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I wanted to chime in. My co-worker has xm service at work. When he powers on the radio in the morning, it shows "xm loading" for about 15 minutes before finally acquiring the signal. He replaced the unit already and it still happens on power up or if the unit is powered off then on. In closing, it may be a xm satellite problem rather than a headunit problem. Please keep us updated B)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have waited much longer than 15 minutes with no loading. Also, I doubt that the dealer would replace the entire unit if a wait would solve the problem. Also, the dealer technician was in touch with XM radio the entire time before they decided to replace the radio. At any rate, we'll see if replacing radio solves the problem. Will keep everyone posted as to outcome.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My wife's Santa Fe goes to "XM Loading" for approximately 5 seconds before the signal is acquired at initial startup. I am assuming that all of you lodging this complaint have a clear view of the sky from your car.

If you do, this is likely a problem with your satellite module or its interface with the head unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (AWAHOO @ May 19 2010, 06:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324418
I finally got my solution! I was resigned to just putting up with the problem, as it happened so randomly, but I happened to be near my dealer when it happened yesterday. I let the radio stay at "XM loading" and took it to the dealer. Service manager said his best guess was that it was an antenna problem. After an hour or so, the parts manager went out to my car, came back in, and the service manager said he was ordering a NEW RADIO for me. They will call me for installation when it arrives. Guess I need to record all my presets other set-up info. Sure hope this solves the problem.

P.S. The whole time they were trying to diagnose, they were in contact with XM/Sirius.
I've been having the same problem. I have less than 5,000 miles on the car, but I'm thinking of taking mine in soon because the problem is happening more frequently. My concern is replacing the radio sounds like a shotgun approach and they really don't know what the root cause is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts