Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that my XM Radio "mutes" when I am driving through a location where a clear view of the satellites is blocked.

For instance:

driving next to a 1 or 2 story building

on a road where tree branches shade the road and block the view of the sky

at the bottom of a hill or cliff where the view of the southern sky is blocked

I am in a rural area and this seems to happen only to me. Friends with XM (not Hyundai owners) say it never happens to them.

Is it a bad radio, a bad design or just the nature of satellite radio?

Thanks for any help,

Larry

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Actually, I'm surprised that my XM doesn't lose signal more than it does given all of the hills/mountains in Colorado, one of the main reasons I was wary of subscribing in the first place.. I don't drive downtown Denver much but would think that all of the glass buildings would bounce the signal around enough for pretty good reception. Only known dead spot is on east-bound I-70 while going past the Purina building, which is a stand alone brick monolith of a building. Of course tunnels kill the signal quite effectively and bridges sometimes, although the same bridge can block the signal one time and not the next. I consistently lose reception within my local bank drive-through. Trees don't pose much of a problem for me, even when driving through most mountain valleys surrounded by pine trees, the exception being valleys which are high and narrow, the culprit more than likely being the rocks, but again I am surprised by how often I do not have interruptions in reception. I even get great reception in my 2-car garage, granted it is an uninsulated 2x4 wooden framed structure. Only one time can I remember XM going out when it shouldn't have a few times in succession, figured it was a transmission issue since it has not yet repeated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts