Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Limited with the NAV package - among the 90 day XM promos is Nav Traffic. On start up, and after touching the XM options icon (lower left on touch screen), three of the four: Stocks, Sports, and Weather will all load in about a minute or so but the Traffic does not. I had XM re-flash my activation but it still isn't there like the other three - either I'm doing something wrong, OR the unit is malfunctioning OR the car needs to be in an area that has traffic reporting. Anyone else having luck or am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance - not much activity on the audio electronics board so I thought I'd try here because it is specific to the '11 Sonata.

·
Registered
932 Posts
It does take a few minutes for the traffic button to activate. Much longer than the others. But if it's still dead after 5 minutes, something is wrong.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm fairly certain that your unit is working properly. From what I've found out from an XM brochure, NAV traffic is only available in about 15 or 20 major cities. So, depending on where you live, you may or may not have NAV traffic.

I may have misspoken. What the brochure says is that NAV traffic only provides traffic for major cities. So, NAV traffic should be available on your 2011 Sonata, but only for major cities. I checked it out on my 2011 Sonata and it worked perfectly. However, I have no need for traffic in LA, Chicago, or even Atlanta. To get to any one of the NAV traffic channels, I pushed any channel between 210 to 222.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (retiredguy @ May 23 2010, 03:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325598
.....................I may have misspoken. What the brochure says is that NAV traffic only provides traffic for major cities. So, NAV traffic should be available on your 2011 Sonata, but only for major cities. I checked it out on my 2011 Sonata and it worked perfectly. However, I have no need for traffic in LA, Chicago, or even Atlanta. To get to any one of the NAV traffic channels, I pushed any channel between 210 to 222.
When you are not in one of the coverage areas, does the traffic button stay gray and white as opposed to changing to colors? The other three buttons - stocks, sports and weather all go from gray and white to color as they load and remain in color until the car is shut down and then load from the satellite on the next restart. If true, that would seem to indicate the XM Nav Traffic is working okay because I'm nowhere near any of the metro areas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think what you are saying is correct. Did you try one of the traffic channels? Try channel 212 which is traffic for Atlanta/Miami or 213 for Dallas/Houston, and see if you get traffic for those areas. It works on my 2011 Sonata with NAV.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think what the OP was trying to ask was there a malfunction with the Traffic feature with the XM/Nav traffic if the button stayed grayed out for a few minutes. Nothing at all to do with the XM channels that broadcast traffic and weather for major metro areas around the nation.

To answer the OP's original question, my unit does take about 2 minutes or so to light up the traffic button. Sometimes the entire XM data button is grayed out on the map screen and other times when I push the button I see Stocks and sports ready to go and traffic still grayed out. I am assuming that it takes a few minutes for the vehicle to communicate location with the satellite and have the data then downloaded to the vehicle.

On a related note, I was under the impression that the system would re-route you if there was a traffic obstacle. Well, my car hasn't done that yet although there are very few times I was actually on a route and encountered traffic so maybe I am speaking prematurely.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called XM today and actually spoke to someone conversant in the American version of the English language. She told me the Traffic button should only turn from gray to colors when there is NAV traffic info available, IE, the car is passing through one of the coverage areas. I will be going through Nashville soon (one of the coverage zones) and we'll see. Thanks to all for your input. :liebe011:

·
Registered
652 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ May 24 2010, 02:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325707
I think what the OP was trying to ask was there a malfunction with the Traffic feature with the XM/Nav traffic if the button stayed grayed out for a few minutes. Nothing at all to do with the XM channels that broadcast traffic and weather for major metro areas around the nation.

To answer the OP's original question, my unit does take about 2 minutes or so to light up the traffic button. Sometimes the entire XM data button is grayed out on the map screen and other times when I push the button I see Stocks and sports ready to go and traffic still grayed out. I am assuming that it takes a few minutes for the vehicle to communicate location with the satellite and have the data then downloaded to the vehicle.

On a related note, I was under the impression that the system would re-route you if there was a traffic obstacle. Well, my car hasn't done that yet although there are very few times I was actually on a route and encountered traffic so maybe I am speaking prematurely.
It's rerouted me several times, but I live in or near metro Atlanta. Also, from some Chicago users' input, apparently it will only reroute you on interstates, not surface roads.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (shabadoo25 @ May 24 2010, 01:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325867
It's rerouted me several times, but I live in or near metro Atlanta. Also, from some Chicago users' input, apparently it will only reroute you on interstates, not surface roads.
Let's clarify that last part. It only has info on the interstates. So when it offers to reroute you, it will send you over surface streets. But it has no idea if the traffic is actually any better. You might actually be in worse shape than if you had stayed on the interstate.

According to XM, they actually do have traffic info for 'some' surface streets available, but it's up to the NAV manufacturer whether they incorporate that into their units. Since they all use basically the same service, you can see how much surface street coverage is available in your area with Google Maps. If Hyundai/XM offered that level of coverage I'd be willing to pay for it. But for the limited coverage it has now it's just not worth it to me since my daily commute does not involve the interstates.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't really have that much use for the traffic part of it, but the weather I find myself using all the time. Mostly the quick forecast, but the radar/sat maps are just too cool to lose. :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I just bought mine this week Monday. I am in Los Angeles. XM data for Traffic, Stock, Weather and Sports worked fine. I used it few time at the beginning and was not in much of need to use it until today. I noticed that only Stock and Sports load in. Even after 30 min, traffic and weather was still grey.

I called XM and was told to call my dealer cuz it is activated. Is it a defect? Anyone having similar problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts