Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,291 Posts
The engine PCM is mounted under the center of the dash. You access it from the driver's footwell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is plastic piece there. Do I need to pry that off?

Thanks so much for responding!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

None of this looks very easy to open up or very forgiving, but I'll do what I have to do even if it means taking drastic measures. Before I start tearing into it, it would be nice to know where I want to end up.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Just fold the carpet back under the dashboard and you should see the PCM below the heater box. It has 4 or 5 connectors across the front of it.

EDIT....Found this on google :

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help AUTOSPARK. That last picture you uploaded is accurate.
Here are mine:

I admit that I haven't been very optimistic about this project.
When I saw this metal plate, I was concerned that I had a different layout than the one in that pic.
But It turned out to be pretty much identical once I removed it.

It's hard to see, but that's it behind all that wire.
This got me far enough so I could see the numbers to find a compatible one.
Once I do, I will then need to swap them out. I can only see two nuts holding this in place.
Any idea if that's all of them?

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Any idea if that's all of them?
Sorry, I've no idea. The XG never sold very well here in the UK so I've never had to work on one.

Are you replacing the PCM? Those things very rarely fail. What's the problem?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think they sold that many of them here either. Tough to find in the junk yard. We decided it was the PCM due to weird and persistent fault codes. There were only a couple when we bought the car and we tried to address them directly without success and then the codes just kept building.
P0123
P0220
P0300
P0301
P0302
P0304
P0320
P0401
P1159
P1193
P1614

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what it's worth. The local junkyard provides a list of compatible vehicles with regard to the PCM
HyundaiSanta Fe2004 - 2004
HyundaiXG3002001 - 2005
HyundaiXG3502001 - 2005
KiaAmanti2004 - 2006

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wanted to follow up with this thread. The car is most likely headed to the junk yard, but I thought I'd add what little bit more information I have.

From the vantage point of the picture shown above I was able to unplug the computer and remove the two nuts that are on that side. In order to remove the third nut, I had to open a nearly identical hole in the other side. That side has a metal bracket running the full length and does not come off in a section like it does on this side so I had to bend it back and cut it with a hack saw. After that, accessing the last nut was easy. Unfortunately, the unit rests on bolts that stick up from the floor and so has to be lifted about an inch high to clear them. There is not an inch clearance above the computer. I was able to wrestle it off with a lot of effort, but there is no reason for those bolts to be that long. It should be noted that the second hole I cut on the passenger side is also needed to actually remove and replace the computer. There is too much in the way on the driver side.

After getting the old one out I just removed one of the brackets from the "new" one that we got from the junk yard, thus avoiding most of the difficulty of reinstalling and then I secured it with only one nut (which I feel is plenty). We got it hooked back up, but this didn't fix the problem and I'm out of patience.

I've seen too many threads left unfinished so I wanted to add what I could to this one in the unlikely circumstance that it will be of help to someone.

Thanks again Autospark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts