Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a long day at a client's office a week or so ago, and the horn on my XG was blasting in the parking lot. Not pulsing or beeping, but blaring continuously. I clicked the remote - lock/unlock, etc., but no change. Got in, cranked engine, horn blaring. Smacked steering wheel horn 'button', no change. Popped the hood, got out and opened the hood and pulled the horn connector. Finally... silence. Someone in the distance yelled "Yaaaayyyyy!!!" I only had to disconnect the high-tone horn, as it seems that the low-tone horn had burned out. Must have been screaming for some time.

Back at the house, I got my meter to check voltage on the horn connector - it was not energized. I connected a test light bulb to the horn connector so that I could see it while I pressed on the steering wheel, got in and hit the horn button, and watched the light come on. Let off and the bulb went dark. All OK there.

Reconnected the horn, tested it, (and it's an awfully wissy-sounding horn without the low-tone) and it's all good.

Yesterday, as I was coming home from my latest outing, I pulled into the driveway, and as soon as I switched off the ignition, the **** horn started again. Nothing on the key fob stopped it, the key wouldn't stop it, and I had to open the hood and pull the wire again.

Long story, but what would make the horn just blast? If it was the alarm it would pulse the horn, and it can be stopped with the key fob.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
may be the horn relay ( located near the battery) turned it self on from some sort of heat or moisture?

with regards

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be. I hope to tear into it this weekend, will probably have to pull the steering wheel cover/airbag/whatever is in the center to get to the horn switch. According to the schematics online, there is nothing but the steering wheel switch, the relay, and the horn. But I was pretty sure that the alarm pulsed the horn too, even though the schemo doesn't show it.

The BIG problem is that it's intermittent. Oh sure, it's constant enough when it's blasting, but unplug it and drive it somewhere and it's back to normal for a while, only to spring into annoyance when no one is expecting it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, good news and bad news.

First, the good news:
Lotsa stuff is OK... The wiring is good. The horn relay is good. Even the ridiculously expensive clock spring is OK. :)

The bad news:
The problem is the horn button. And the horn button is in the airbag assembly. :(

So I'm having to rig a horn button until I can get a new airbag.

More later.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well - that was gnarly.

Bottom line is that the wire for the horn "switch" inside the driver's side airbag was pinched between the steel airbag housing and the cast metal of the steering wheel. It had finally worked through the insulation and reached the point where it shorted out against the metal. Ultimately, the wire completely broke in two.

Now I'm not saying that I actually disassembled the airbag, or reassembled it, but it is much happier now, and I can show an artist's rendering of what the wire MAY have looked like...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts