Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Hope you're well. I have been considering getting a cheap as chips executive type car, as this type of car is going so cheap at the moment.

I have been considering a merc or Jag, with the Jag xj6 coming out on top. However these are getting a little old and are beginning to develop rust problems etc, so I'm wary. Then I spotted an xg30.

on paper it looks good - cheaper to buy, more fuel economy, and more standard equipment. I was wondering from a Hyundai owners point of view whether they are a decent car or not?

I'm considering day to day fuel costs, the standard of the equipment and interior, and the potential pitfalls/things to look for on these cars.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks.

Gavin

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

the XG comes loaded with pretty much everything you could wish for (make sure it all works) The main things to look for when buying a used one are service history, service history and service history also make the the cam. belt has been changed (every 60,000 miles/five years) if it breaks it will write the car off!.........replacement cam. belt is around £250 fitted...........expect to get 25 mpg overall driving sensibly (but that does not include any stop start city driving) it drives as good as any merc or jag

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the guidance! To be honest the MPG doesn't seem to be all that much better than the Jag.

The car I was looking at is well under a grand with only 47k on the clock, though I suppose this means a cam belt very soon! Full MOT though which is pretty nice.

Could I just ask, how 'plastic' does the interior feel?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Unfortunately the car I've seen for sale is quite far away and so it's difficult to get a feel for it. If there are any owners in the North West who would like to introduce me to the World of the xg that would be great! :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi, I only bought my xg30 about 2 weeks ago and am totally happy with it. I plumped for one that has just had cambelt done but downside is a short mot... but im happy... Just one comment tho.... I was quoted £550 for cambelt and water pump by 3 different garages

·
Registered
868 Posts
Let me chime in since I just did the comparison XJ vs XG, in my case an XG350 vs an XJ8 (X308) 4.0 (waiting for a new home very near to my workplace).

To be honest the MPG doesn't seem to be all that much better than the Jag.
True. But for the 4.0 V8 the relation btw. performance and f.c. is way better - more modern (full aluminum) engine, higher compression ratio, direct valve train with tappets, 100 (!) more horses. Absolute f.c. may even be slightly lower.

The car I was looking at is well under a grand with only 47k on the clock, though I suppose this means a cam belt very soon!
True, too. And cam belt on the dohc/4 cams sigma engine is not for beginners, too.
XG30 are really cheap since nobody wants them - the 350 not much higher in price but harder to find with low mileage. With that low mileage the interior may still look good, too.
The interior materials are for sure better on the jag. XGs tend to wear out quicker (seats, door panels etc.).

Speaking of rust: There are good and bad ones for both of them. It all comes down to how much the candidate was being taken care of in the past.

Could I just ask, how 'plastic' does the interior feel?
It's really nice and the interior feels much much more spacious on the XG. The XJ is like a 3-series BMW inside (or worse ...) having the outer dimensions of a 7-series. The XG is about a 5-series in and out. The fake wood ... no comment - real wood on the XJ for sure looks better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts