Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On both on my rear shocks/struts, the rubber bushings where the arm attaches to the car went bad. So everytime the car moved up and down, I would get this terrible clanking noise. They failed about 6 months apart, so I was able to perform the terrible job on the floor of my garage twice. But getting a new bushing kit worked. The only bad thing is that you need to get a new shock also becase you have to cut the nut off the shock to replace the bushings. Every maintenance item on this car is a joke.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
this fault is not uncommon on an XG, l've had to replace mine but did'nt have the trouble that you mention

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2002 XG 350 (96,000 miles) that apparently has bad rear strut bushings (both struts seem fine). I've been told by the dealer that the cost to replace the bushings/struts will be at least $700, possibly more if other bushings have to be replaced as well. I was also told that the bushings don't have to be replaced. Worn bushings create an annoying noise at every bump but there is no harm to the car or how it handles. I have several questions: is there likely to be any problem from not replacing the bushings? I don't want to damage the car or degrade its handling but neither do I want to shell out $700+. Can a competent mechanic do the job for less than my dealer? How difficult would it be for the owner to do the job? Are other bushings likely to need replacement? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

PatSm

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

go and tell your dealer that they are rip off merchants and you will never use them again (and tell all your friends) the top bushes do wear and cause a knocking from the rear end, its not a hard job to do if you know what you are doing and the bushes are cheap, find yourself a local garage that your friends can recommend to do a good job at a fair price

·
Registered
1 Posts
On both on my rear shocks/struts, the rubber bushings where the arm attaches to the car went bad. So everytime the car moved up and down, I would get this terrible clanking noise. They failed about 6 months apart, so I was able to perform the terrible job on the floor of my garage twice. But getting a new bushing kit worked. The only bad thing is that you need to get a new shock also becase you have to cut the nut off the shock to replace the bushings. Every maintenance item on this car is a joke.
Having the right tools and following procedures makes a big difference. P

1 - 6 of 6 Posts