Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw 3 riced out Sonatas and 2 riced out Optimas today. WHy do people have to go and ruin an economy family sedan's image... It is even more ridiculous that all 5 of these cars were the 2.4 engines. I think i'll add Sonata and Optima to my list of cars to avoid. It is a shame. People are ruining their image just like they did with civics, neons, accords, sentra, older genesis, ect.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Saw 3 riced out Sonatas and 2 riced out Optimas today. WHy do people have to go and ruin an economy family sedan's image... It is even more ridiculous that all 5 of these cars were the 2.4 engines. I think i'll add Sonata and Optima to my list of cars to avoid. It is a shame. People are ruining their image just like they did with civics, neons, accords, sentra, older genesis, ect.
People are gonna customize their car all they want and for you to say oh I'm not gonna buy them because people are customizing the car they make payments on is just petty dude. If you really feel that way, you're going to have little to no options in the near future considering most automakers are following the trend of making cars appear sportier. Tough noodles dude hope you find something to make you feel better. Good luck

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,601 Posts
We all have different likes and dislikes, even at the manufacturer level they are offering , lowering kits, exhaust, intake etc "sport versions of most models (Chevy , Scion, Toyota, Ford).

Mod you car or leave it stock its all up to the owner. Enjoy your car.

Ive seen a lot of different "family sedans" that look great with a few mods, , a little lower, tires , wheels etc. On this forum IMO most of the Sonata that have been lowered look better and in some cases probably handle better.

Ive driven sedans on and off for 25 years and mosyt of them were supposed to be "sport " models going back to the original Ford SHO (Taurus), Infiniti M 45, Lincoln LS, MBZ C class and more.

There is a huge aftermarket industry, at SEMA almost everything is modified one way or another.

Whatever makes the owner happy.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think modding cars pretty much started when the car was invented. It is to look cool. To be a part of the crowd. To go fast. It is a trend. To me it is no different than Tatoos which is modding the body. Not my thing, but who am I to judge?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think modding cars pretty much started when the car was invented. It is to look cool. To be a part of the crowd. To go fast. It is a trend. To me it is no different than Tatoos which is modding the body. Not my thing, but who am I to judge?
Adding a huge 'wing', 'fart can,' black hood, wider rear tires to a fwd car, ect does not make it go faster. It just makes the car look like a clown car. It screams, 'look at me! I am an overbearing, attention seeking douche.'

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not really cool with the term "riced out".... but hey, they bought it. I actually enjoy seeing all the outrageous things people do to their cars. It's not their responsibility to maintain the car companies vision and name, and they shouldn't have to drive around in a vanilla stock box to do so.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I, personally, wouldn't do outrageous mods as I like clean lines, but I wouldn't discourage anyone who would want to do anything to their cars. If they truly enjoy it and there's a sense of accomplishment, they could outfit cardboard spoilers for all I care.

There's also the fact that the bigger the mod community, the more third party support and products will be available, bringing down prices for all sorts of parts and services.

·
Registered
144 Posts
When it comes down to it....you're right, it a family sedan........all is said.....:)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Just because a car is a 'family sedan' doesn't mean it can't benefit from a few tweaks here and there.
When it ends up going overboard for most people's taste it can sometimes ruin the image of the car for non-enthusiasts but it still comes down to having the freedom to mod your car in any way you like.
Almost no one says anything about modded 5 series BMWs and they are a 'family sedan'.
I saw plenty of modded 3rd gen Nissan Altimas run mid to high 13's in the quarter and they were 'family sedans'.
Go to almost any autocross event and you will see plenty of 'family sedans' putting down some downright impressive times.
I guess it all depends on what you want to do with your individual car.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Personally I dont care to modify my cars at all. But I also don't care what my neighbor does to his car.
But people doing all the mods is the reason I prefer buying new.
Id be more inclined to buy used if they were substantially cheaper but a 3 yr old car is still over $12K or more.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not really cool with the term "riced out".... but hey, they bought it. I actually enjoy seeing all the outrageous things people do to their cars. It's not their responsibility to maintain the car companies vision and name, and they shouldn't have to drive around in a vanilla stock box to do so.

RICED or Riced Out (slang)
Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements

Its not an offensive term.

·
Registered
475 Posts
....It just makes the car look like a clown car. It screams, 'look at me! I am an overbearing, attention seeking douche.'
Yep. But thats what kids like to do. Boys do it with Fart Cans. Girls do it with too much make-up and skin tight jeans.
I say let them have their fun. Its harmless.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can tweak it all you want but you will still have a slow, so-so handling (good) family sedan.....put the extra money into your mortgage or rsp.....cheers p

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Personally I dont care to modify my cars at all. But I also don't care what my neighbor does to his car.
But people doing all the mods is the reason I prefer buying new.
Id be more inclined to buy used if they were substantially cheaper but a 3 yr old car is still over $12K or more.
If my neighbor put a loud exhaust on his camry we would have words. IDK anyone that would want to deal with a loud neighbor. I don't think I'd ever buy a new Hyundai or similar family sedan. I'd buy Ford, Dodge, Audi, ect new tho, but not new from a brand that offers 100k powertrain.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
396 Posts
Just because a car is a 'family sedan' doesn't mean it can't benefit from a few tweaks here and there.
When it ends up going overboard for most people's taste it can sometimes ruin the image of the car for non-enthusiasts but it still comes down to having the freedom to mod your car in any way you like.
I personally like to mod my vehicles' appearance so subtle that most observers would assume it was a rare factory option, such as re-badging and adding options from within the same brand and generation vein, but following a same theme. I.e.; adding the 'over the brow' DLRs, an 'Infinity' sound system badge to the lower driver's side "B" pillar, and the '12 Elantra "Touring" badges to a '12 Santa Fe Limited.

Very subtle, unique and somewhat updated the vehicle's appearance.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
A while back I was out on a beautiful Saturday afternoon, stopped at a light. To my left was a young Hispanic kid in an older model BMW 3. Nice aftermarket wheels, small deck spoiler, a little lowered, and shining better than when it left the factory. Really sharp looking ride.

The kid caught this old guy looking over at his car and kind of had a funny look on his face like he was expecting something negative to happen. I looked him in the eye and just said "Nice ride, kid. Very nice ride."

Biggest grin you ever saw hit that kids face. Just as the light changed he called back, "Thanks, mister!"

Kid puts that much work and pride into something, it should be recognized.

·
Registered
183 Posts
RICED or Riced Out (slang)
Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements

Its not an offensive term.
It has several meanings. for example a rice rocket is a Japanese motorcycle, not race inspired. To me when someone rices out a car it means they put those stupid mufflers on them that make it sound like a motorcycle. Not sure what the OP even meant. I bought a Sport model 2018 and I think it's pretty slick. Subtle interior changes, a different grill, and dual exhaust tips instead of single plus some black chrome in places.

If people want to put low profile 19 or 20" rims who the heck cares? As someone else said, they paid for it, why is it any of your business. That's like saying look at that guy crashed a perfectly good minivan because he drank and drove, I'm never buying a minivan.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts