Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the DDM tuning HID kit for a couple months now with no issues, I did have to add capacitors to make them work correctly though, which is common.

So fast forward to the past couple days my drivers bulb would come on, and within 5 seconds shut back off. So anytime I have had a HID issue I start rotating the parts until the problem is obvious.

1) Swap the drivers and passenger ballasts. Problem is still the drivers side.
2) Swap the drivers and passenger capacitors. Problem is still on the drivers side.
3) Obviously the issue is the bulbs at this point so I swap them and the problem is still on the drivers side!!

So at this point I swapped 100% of the equipment from side to side and the issue is still the same.. So that must mean the issue is with my factory wiring???

So just to check I removed the HIDs and installed some halogen bulbs and everything is working great. So I installed the HID kit again and my drivers side does not work.

Whats the heck is the deal?? It was working fine for months..

·
Registered
40 Posts
same thing here. I pulled them out and put in h9's I think they are bright...no hid, but a lot brighter then stock h11.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a relay kit with my HIDs when it was working without it and a week ago I was in need of wire I did not feel guilty hacking it up since I did not need it.. Now it seems like I need it!!

·
Banned
998 Posts
what kit you have? 35 or 55W?

Is it slim or thick ballast?
Check the fuses. If I am not mistaken, there are separate fuses for each side. Add a higher rating one. Just for the test.

Ballast during initial start (at least some of them) would draw much higher current than under normal operation condition. You might have some slightly loose connection that creates extra resistance.

Next, how are your ballast connected to OEM harness? Is this secure connection? No rust or anything?

Sure, relay would probably fix that... probably.

·
22,793 Posts
Oh, boy! I wouldn't wish this gremlin upon my worst enemy. Well, possibly. ;)

It's these little annoyances that drive me up the wall. Probably the main reason I have not done anything up front where lights are concerned. I'm thinking the Phillip's bulbs when replacement time comes. Just a simple, easily performed mod that'll yield a bit more night vision. (I'm too cheap to spend the $$$ for the OEM Avante plug & play system...although they have me drooling.)
Hope you get this thing fixed before you drive yourself over the wall, cbzdel.

·
22,793 Posts
No link, but someone bought one outta Korea, I believe. I think he was over there on business and sent it back.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Info on the OEM Avante plug & play system?? I am sure it could be adapted to the GT

Link?
First got sorted your problem with non-OEM HID setup.

I am not sure if this what Okie said is correct... as sure, Avante is almost a direct fit for Elantra, BUT it is MD Elantra, not GD (meaning sedan vs GT).
Elantra GT is i30 in other markets. They look alike (GD and MD), but the headlights are not same. Hence, you would have to look for i30 HID headlights... not Avante.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are standard 35w HID with slim ballasts, DDM does not sell thick ballasts anymore, the the past I preferred the thick ones as I NEVER had any issues with them..

Today I turned the headlights on , lit up fine, after about 10 second the drivers side shut off. Just dont understand it.

I think the cars voltage or maybe available amps just really drops at idle..

·
Banned
998 Posts
and it does NOT restart itself, right?

if it was voltage drop or current drop you would see them flicker, not turn off.
they would flicker on/off unless voltage goes below 8V, which is impossible.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
When I replaced my front side markers with 10W bulbs, one of them would go off sometimes (maybe because of overcharging the parking lamp circuit?). I assume you connected your HIDs to the correct headlamps wires rather than the parking lamps wires? I.e. do they turn on in the headlamps position only?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts