Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was coming out of training with my gear bag (key in bag/no pockets on the clothes I was wearing)- went up to the car and the boot let me open it because I had the key in the bag- then I put the bag into the boot and close it (thinking that the key is now inside the car i.e. close enough to be able to unlock it using the buttons on the door)
And what do you know- I have just managed to lock my keys in the car!
Surely this cannot be standard operation? The car must know that the keys are now inside- otherwise the boot would open again because the key is within a metre of the lock (on the inside of the car!)
Am I missing something? Obviously I will not be doing this again any time soon, but I think I should have been able to do it without having to call a taxi to go home and back with my spare key!
Thanks for any and all suggestions
sub

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Seems to me you should be able to open the truck/boot again. I can honestly say I've never tried it before. But many have mentioned they have tried to lock keys in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeh well this is what I think should happen, but I have just retested in the garage and this is definitely NOT the case.
Its a new car so I guess I know now, but it still seems unreasonable that the car knows the key is inside and wont warn me or give me a chance to recover it!
Cheers
sub

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Okay, so I was curious ...

On my '14 Elantra GT with pushbutton start, I locked the car and then walked around to the back, popped open the hatch and tossed in the fob. When I closed the hatch an alarm sounded for about five seconds, then the hatch and all four doors unlocked.

Never thought to try that before.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
It sure is a problem,,, After experimenting,,,,I'm locked in my Trunk right now.
Are you sbr711's "alter ego"...he's the only one I know of that uses commas that way? :surprise:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts