Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I drop the Santa Fe Sport at the dealer so they can replace the SD chip in the navigation. Because this chip took over a week to get here, they thought they would do me a 'favor' by replacing the oil (that only had 800 miles on it). When I look at the reciept.... 'hoil oil 5w20'. #1. What is hoil oil? #2. 5w30 or 10w30 is spec. I thanked them but advised the manager that I should have been asked first and recapped the spec. He apologized and no harm no fowl since i paid nothing, but what if I didnt read the receipt?

I left and took my car elsewhere for a fill of Mobil Super 5000 and a PureOne L14459 filter since Valvoline Quick Lube wasnt open yet. Along with VWB, MS5K is a favorite.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
This morning I drop the Santa Fe Sport at the dealer so they can replace the SD chip in the navigation. Because this chip took over a week to get here, they thought they would do me a 'favor' by replacing the oil (that only had 800 miles on it). When I look at the reciept.... 'hoil oil 5w20'. #1. What is hoil oil? #2. 5w30 or 10w30 is spec. I thanked them but advised the manager that I should have been asked first and recapped the spec. He apologized and no harm no fowl since i paid nothing, but what if I didnt read the receipt?

I left and took my car elsewhere for a fill of Mobil Super 5000 and a PureOne L14459 filter since Valvoline Quick Lube wasnt open yet. Along with VWB, MS5K is a favorite.
Did you have him check the specs for the turbo engine? It does in fact call for 5w-30 weight. The 2.4 non turbo engine does call for either 5w-20 or 5w-30 weight oil.

I would, however, say that the factory filter is preferable to aftermarket filters due to the gasket design.

No way I would take your vehicle to a fast lube joint.

I'd go back to the dealer and point out his error and have the right spec oil put into it and be reflected in his computer system. This would be on his dime.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
This morning I drop the Santa Fe Sport at the dealer so they can replace the SD chip in the navigation.
Missing when truck received at dealer,, or some other issue with the SD card ? We were told at New Model course to inspect the slot, as SD cards appearantly been coming up missing, it' just a camera card

Because this chip took over a week to get here, they thought they would do me a 'favor' by replacing the oil (that only had 800 miles on it).
Free oil change,, they should have given you a voucher instead.

When I look at the reciept.... 'hoil oil 5w20'. #1. What is hoil oil?
Probably their in-house part number for oil, quanty "x", and description being 5W20

#2. 5w30 or 10w30 is spec.
Not a life threatening engine failure concern.. kinda curve ball here, Briggs & Stratton has 30 weight oil in bottles sporting their own brand label,, but I been using Mobil-1 5/30 in my lawnmower for yrs... look at the chart in owners manual, most all oil overlap for similar ambient temp applications across the board.

I thanked them but advised the manager that I should have been asked first and recapped the spec. He apologized and no harm no fowl since i paid nothing, but what if I didnt read the receipt?
You got free early oil change.. they should have asked to do it first, or held till when you ready for that oil change..

I'll bet your dealer pumped 5/30 or 10/30 in there in the first place.. no dealer is going to buy oil in 2 or 3 weights to pump out of various tanks, cost too much...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The Mobil station i took it to has worked on various cars for me. These are car guys that do the job well and care. We cannot paint all lube locations/mechanics with the same brush. The OEM filter is a good one for sure but not better than the PureOne. I'd put them on equal ground. Both use silicone instead of rubber and are on the high end of filters.

·
2,258 Posts
What is hoil oil?
probably (in)House Oil probably. versus any specialty synth oil. dealerships buy oil in bulk, from whatever supplier is cheaper that month/cycle. one purchase could be Valvoline, the next it could be castrol, etc. dealerships are private companies and buy oil as they see financially fit.
I left and took my car elsewhere for a fill of Mobil Super 5000 and a PureOne L14459 filter
i wont discuss using a quick lube joint. there are plenty great shops out there, and many bad ones. i wont paint all with a broad brush. but i will say this: using an aftermarket oil filter is probably worse than the dealer using the wrong oil weight. there has been plenty problems with non oem filters being used. some even experienced what sounded like oil starvation issues due to oil psi problems. i am not going to get into the oil filter debate (as we have done so already: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/260-d...car-runs-crappy-after-first-oil-change-2.html ) but i will tell you, that i ONLY use oem filters. there has even been a TSB for this as well, if i am not mistaken.

the oem filters are of amazing quality (even i was surprised). i went and got a bunch of them with 100 crush washers(thrown in for free). the filters came out to around $5-6 bucks each if i am not mistaken. idk if using an aftermarket filter in this engine makes any sense.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am sorry, but the Pureone is NOT better than the Hyundai.

Looks like the have a better one coming out for synthetic oil users, whoa!

Synthetic Oil Filters

Are they replacing the crush washer everytime???

Never said PureOne is better. Yes, crush washer always replaced (!!!) lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
probably (in)House Oil probably. versus any specialty synth oil. dealerships buy oil in bulk, from whatever supplier is cheaper that month/cycle. one purchase could be Valvoline, the next it could be castrol, etc. dealerships are private companies and buy oil as they see financially fit.
i wont discuss using a quick lube joint. there are plenty great shops out there, and many bad ones. i wont paint all with a broad brush. but i will say this: using an aftermarket oil filter is probably worse than the dealer using the wrong oil weight. there has been plenty problems with non oem filters being used. some even experienced what sounded like oil starvation issues due to oil psi problems. i am not going to get into the oil filter debate (as we have done so already: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/260-d...car-runs-crappy-after-first-oil-change-2.html ) but i will tell you, that i ONLY use oem filters. there has even been a TSB for this as well, if i am not mistaken.

the oem filters are of amazing quality (even i was surprised). i went and got a bunch of them with 100 crush washers(thrown in for free). the filters came out to around $5-6 bucks each if i am not mistaken. idk if using an aftermarket filter in this engine makes any sense.

Completely understood and points well taken but any, again ANY top notch oil filter, PureOne, M1, NapaGold/Platinum, Amsoil, RP etc. will do the job just fine. If they were so bad for the vehicle, Hyundai would madate that the OEM as required. This was never stated in any of the TSB's. I have nothing against the OEM, its just easier to drive a 1/4 mile to AAP and pick up the PureOne which is of excellent quality as well. I'm not the one telling people they have to buy PureOne, I just mentioned that that is what i use. Nor did i say PureOne is better, that was another poster putting words in my mouth. As long as you understand how filters work and which ones are high quality, you can make an educated choice.

By the way, i found out the oil used was Wolfs Head.

·
2,258 Posts
As long as you understand how filters work and which ones are high quality, you can make an educated choice
its not about HOW they work; its about the materials used to assemble the filter. some use staples, some use glue. some use metal, some use cardboard. some have more pleats than others. some have a better anti-drain-back valves. etc.

as long as you are happy, thats all that matters.

i went to the dealership and bought a brick of oem oil filters (6) and they threw in a bag of crush washers (100count) for free. i walked out paying around $5-$6 per filter. this way i dont even have to go to the dealer every time to get a filter.

side note: i do my own oil changes. i bought a couple jugs of oil at walmart on sale. i found a 5qt jug of mobil1 5000 mile oil for around $10.50 or so (normally: $14.17). so now i have my filters & oil all in my garage ready to go when i need them. i figured investing in a couple jugs of oil at TODAY'S prices might save me a few dollars in case oil gets more expensive later on. i just wish i thought of that 10 years go! ;) :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
its not about HOW they work; its about the materials used to assemble the filter. some use staples, some use glue. some use metal, some use cardboard. some have more pleats than others. some have a better anti-drain-back valves. etc.

as long as you are happy, thats all that matters.

i went to the dealership and bought a brick of oem oil filters (6) and they threw in a bag of crush washers (100count) for free. i walked out paying around $5-$6 per filter. this way i dont even have to go to the dealer every time to get a filter.

side note: i do my own oil changes. i bought a couple jugs of oil at walmart on sale. i found a 5qt jug of mobil1 5000 mile oil for around $10.50 or so (normally: $14.17). so now i have my filters & oil all in my garage ready to go when i need them. i figured investing in a couple jugs of oil at TODAY'S prices might save me a few dollars in case oil gets more expensive later on. i just wish i thought of that 10 years go! ;) :D

I meant construction as well when alluding to how they work, sorry for not making that clear. All the ones i mentioned are of top notch, high quality construction. I have cut open a few of them (as well as the OEM) in the recent past. This is why i do not use ecore constructed (plastic inner cage vs metal, and fiber end caps vs metal) oil filters. No worries though, I know its all about trust and many folks have decided that the OEM filter is the one for them. I understand why completely.

Sounds like you're ready for the apocalypse with the filter stash...:D Great move.

Man, i know, i used to purchase my oil from Walmart as well, when doing my own oil changes, but we just bought a home in a community that does not allow vehicle work in front the house, unfortunately.

·
2,258 Posts
I meant construction as well when alluding to how they work, sorry for not making that clear. All the ones i mentioned are of top notch, high quality construction. I have cut open a few of them (as well as the OEM) in the recent past. No worries though, I know its all about trust and many folks have decided they that the OEM filter is the one for them. I understand why completely.
awesome. many folks dont understand why we cut open filters lol.

Sounds like you're ready for the apocalypse with the oil and filter stash...:D:) Great move.
i am a prepper after-all lol

Man, i know, i used to purchase my oil from Walmart as well, when doing my own oil changes, but we just bought a home in a community that does not allow vehicle work in front of the house, unfortunately.
i wouldnt buy that place. i'd get kicked out the first week. those rules come from good idea's (no one want a rusty old beater in the front) but come on.... id go crazy not being able to work on my car. simple things like spark plugs, oil, brakes, etc. ugh makes me sick just thinking about it lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is everyone using or plan on using full synthetic? If so, what brand?

I've always been a big fan of Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (aka German Castrol).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i wouldnt buy that place. i'd get kicked out the first week. those rules come from good idea's (no one want a rusty old beater in the front) but come on.... id go crazy not being able to work on my car. simple things like spark plugs, oil, brakes, etc. ugh makes me sick just thinking about it lol
LOL...Please stop! Im pulling my hair out just thinking of it!

Cutting open oil filters, sending Blackstone Labs oil samples for UOA's, reading air filter performance comparison tests, reading VOA results (overrated) and alerts on Petroleum Quality Institute of America's website......yup, me too. ^_^

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Cutting open oil filters, sending Blackstone Labs oil samples for UOA's, reading air filter performance comparison tests, reading VOA results (overrated) and alerts on Petroleum Quality Institute of America's website......yup, me too. ^_^
Or just do it like we do over the "pond" - fit a Hyundai genuine filter (there's no alternatives here), use the ACEA category of oil specified by Hyundai (which just happens to be synthetic), change both every couple of years (or 20,000 miles) and don't worry about it (we don't get engine failures any more than you do).

But I will comment that if there's any variation in filter ability/quality (as there does seem to be) then it's little wonder that frequent oil changes are necessary.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Is everyone using or plan on using full synthetic? If so, what brand?

I've always been a big fan of Castrol Syntec 0w-30 (aka German Castrol).

Quality oil/filter are a must. Synthetic vs Conventional is a personal choice if staying with the manufacturers oci limits. Owners manual requires the following or better API SM GF-4 5w30 or if you cannot find this, you can use SL 10w30 (sections 8.6 to 8.8) (SN GF-5 is what you will find in every store nowadays and is better than required specs). I think the oil you reference is a fantastic oil. Used it in the past in an Evolution VIII.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The Mobil station i took it to has worked on various cars for me. These are car guys that do the job well and care. We cannot paint all lube locations/mechanics with the same brush. The OEM filter is a good one for sure but not better than the PureOne. I'd put them on equal ground. Both use silicone instead of rubber and are on the high end of filters.

Come again?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Completely understood and points well taken but any, again ANY top notch oil filter, PureOne, M1, NapaGold/Platinum, Amsoil, RP etc. will do the job just fine. If they were so bad for the vehicle, Hyundai would madate that the OEM as required. This was never stated in any of the TSB's. I have nothing against the OEM, its just easier to drive a 1/4 mile to AAP and pick up the PureOne which is of excellent quality as well. I'm not the one telling people they have to buy PureOne, I just mentioned that that is what i use. Nor did i say PureOne is better, that was another poster putting words in my mouth. As long as you understand how filters work and which ones are high quality, you can make an educated choice.

By the way, i found out the oil used was Wolfs Head.
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/230-sonata-yf-turbo/149259-oil-filter-tsb-12-em-006-a.html

1 - 20 of 49 Posts