Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
man that is one dirty filter......looks like you got a bird's nest going on there. :whistling:

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Jeez, that filter still new,, look at the one I took out of a 2006 Sonata with 33,000 mile a couple week ago --

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
did you even get outside air into your cab at all..... :bwekk:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (manminder @ May 13 2010, 11:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322505
My Hyundai dealer wanted 40 dollars for a new cabin filter and the engine air filter was 19 dollars, go figure?
maybe the $40 dollar number was an "installed" number - if you didn't know better, a dealer could convince you that the cabin air filter is a nightmare to install - on some cars, it really is.

As far as dirt goes, they mean what they say on the change interval. Usually, change intervals are just hype to get your money, but not on this filter.

I also have a 2008 Ford Taurus which does not have a cabin filter - I wish it did when I see pictures like these.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I replaced my cabin air filter, it looked pretty bad after not being serviced for 45k.

I opted to install it on my own, and not pay the dealer $50 since it's really easy to service this filter on the Sonata.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
If you care to do some search, we've been developing a whole system of DIY filters made of 3M home furnace filters. Not sure what size is the most efficient to create 4 of them, though, but it's all there.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I think I got 4 out of a 20 x 20. I didn't use the pleated type just a blue washable kind that I will throw away instead of wash. 3.00 total for 4.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (craigbrooks @ May 14 2010, 01:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322878
I think I got 4 out of a 20 x 20. I didn't use the pleated type just a blue washable kind that I will throw away instead of wash. 3.00 total for 4.
Na, you might as well not put ANY filter than... That green/blue filter maybe good to prevent leaves flying into your car (and damage the ventilation fan...), but any dust, smoke, smog, and even small debris WILL freely pass thru...

No, I bought the MOST EXPENSIVE pleated furnace filter so that it DOES the job.... Even so, per single filter it would be still costing you maybe 1/5 of the "real" Hyundai part....

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ May 12 2010, 06:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322233
Changed mine today. I am guessing its the original one.....oops. LOL
Changed mine at ~45K on principle. It still looked and smelled clean. We always keep our A/C on "Recirculation",
because we can't stand exhaust fumes and other interesting odors encountered on the highway.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Just installed the 2nd one (60K miles)...not as dirty as the first time, but still pretty bad.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Man... thanks for the head's up! I was noticing my car was smelling musty and then seeing this post I put 2 and 2 together.... If you could believe it, my filter looked worse than yours... It's that beautiful Southern California air- you can chew it....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts