Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: What tires replaced your OEM Nexen tires? Are they good in wet weather?

The light turned red and I tried to stop, my car was slipping in the rain and my ABS kicked in. You know those black rubber fillings that fill cracks on the road? There were a lot of them near the stop light and I was slipping. I almost hit a pedestrian because of that. I was freaked. I don't care if the tires are low resistance tires, I am shopping for tires now. I am willing to sacrifice 1-3 MPG for tires with better grip. I have never in my life had a vehicle slip on those black rubber fillings on the road. I blame these junk OEM tires.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine came with crappy Hanooks, but I replaced them with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. My mpg has remained the same despite not being low resistance tires so that's a plus. These tires are a lot quieter and I feel much more connected to the road when it rains.

·
Registered
749 Posts
never had a tire do that?

I see the tar snakes and I cringe. I ride a motorcycle as well and when it's dry those tar lines cause problems. wet, and they're like ice. Two different methods of transit and physics involved, but when it comes down to it, it's just water, tar, and rubber. I will agree the OEM tires arent the best for overall traction.

I see quite a few vehicles equipped with cooper cs4 touring tires. can't be a fluke.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine came with crappy Hanooks, but I replaced them with a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires. My mpg has remained the same despite not being low resistance tires so that's a plus. These tires are a lot quieter and I feel much more connected to the road when it rains.
Hankook sports tires are awesome. Their OEM tires are garbage. I agree.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
never had a tire do that?

I see the tar snakes and I cringe. I ride a motorcycle as well and when it's dry those tar lines cause problems. wet, and they're like ice. Two different methods of transit and physics involved, but when it comes down to it, it's just water, tar, and rubber. I will agree the OEM tires arent the best for overall traction.

I see quite a few vehicles equipped with cooper cs4 touring tires. can't be a fluke.
I've driven a car with Kumho tires on them and I have never had a problem with tar snakes.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wow, crazy to hear that happening. I have the stock hankooks still, hate em. Gonna be replaced in spring with new wheels.

·
22,793 Posts
Tar snakes, huh? So, that's what they're called. All these years...and I've been using foul words to describe them. Gonna have to clean up my act!

·
Registered
11 Posts
my car came with continentals (contiprocontact or something) on it from the dealer... they work pretty well in the rain as i found out the other day.. lol

·
22,793 Posts
my car came with continentals (contiprocontact or something) on it from the dealer... they work pretty well in the rain as i found out the other day.. lol
Have the same. They're okay, nothing to write home about. Measured mine yesterday. Came in at 4/32nds wear left on the treads. That's with 31,200 miles. Won't be long now until I have to "write the check" for replacements.

It won't be the ContiPro Contacts. I DO know that much! Guess I need to get off my butt and start comparing brands/mileage/noise ratings.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Those tar strips are slick when wet no matter the tires, as are the white overlays they put down for crosswalks at intersections, so I don't think it's strictly the tires at fault here. I'm currently driving a car equipped with Michelin Primacy tires and have had the same issue when just easily pulling away from an intersection in the rain over those stripes.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Question:
The light turned red and I tried to stop, my car was slipping in the rain and my ABS kicked in.
" .......... I almost hit a pedestrian because of that. I was freaked."

So while nearing the intersection when you took into account the rain, your speed, vehicle and pedestrian locations the yellow caution light still didn't allow you enough time to be proactive versus reactive ?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Michelin Primacy have done me well, very happy with them.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had OEM hankooks and ditched them maybe 12000 miles in. Horrid traction. I got Yokohama 580 which were better, but after 45k on them thereabouts now have Michelin primacy. The Michelin's beat the Yokohama's handily in noise and traction. When its time to replace I'm sTicking with michelin.

·
22,793 Posts
Michelin is a hard act to follow. The sidewalls usually start weather cracking long before the tread wears out. And the tread usually lasts beyond the mileage rating. Provided, of course, you practice due diligence and monitor the air pressures and routine balances and rotations. and an occasional check of the alignment. They are hard to beat. Initial cost is a bit higher, but certainly worth it for the value you receive, IMO.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I have Michelin Primacy on the GM mini-van dad give me.. Put a hurt on my wallet, even when bought and carry out of Sears and me mount and balance for free during lunch..

Bridgestones dad bought some 3yr ago deform/shifted belt in 2 tires.. too much shake to be driving.. I drive 68 mile interstate and 10 mile city each day round trip home to work.. Michelin, so much is riding on on your tires (me and kids)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts