Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does waiting for the turbo version worth the wait? I heard it will be priced just under 25,000. For those who already own one, do you have regrets for buying the car too early realizing that the turbo version is coming? do you feel like you got screwed? I am debating whether to wait or get the car now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought the car to have a really good looking, loaded commuter car. The drop in gas mileage that I'm sure the turbo will have turns me off. Also that it's front wheel drive. Turbo cars should be AWD or RWD. I don't feel cheated at all.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hyundai was pretty upfront from the beginning that they would release a turbo, so no, I don't regret my purchase at all.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 21 2010, 08:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315253
Hyundai was pretty upfront from the beginning that they would release a turbo, so no, I don't regret my purchase at all.
I do not regret my purchase either. The current 4 cyl is adequate, but I will admit that I probably would have sprung for the Turbo had it been available.
I will probably benefit from better economy since I won't be as tempted to have my foot in the gas as much. :grin:

·
Registered
652 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Apr 21 2010, 09:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315247
Does waiting for the turbo version worth the wait? I heard it will be priced just under 25,000. For those who already own one, do you have regrets for buying the car too early realizing that the turbo version is coming? do you feel like you got screwed? I am debating whether to wait or get the car now.
No, I don't feel ripped off. If I want the turbo when it comes out, I'll get it.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (SilverNitrate @ Apr 21 2010, 08:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315247
Does waiting for the turbo version worth the wait?
I'm not personally excited about the Turbo. I think it's a good move by Hyundai to build it.
It will generate a lot of excitement, and the owners will have a blast with them. However,
turbos aren't much use on a commuter car, and that's what mine is used for, getting the wife
to work.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would have waited if I could but my Accord's transmission was dying as well as a host of other issues so I had to buy something now.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would have waited, but the lease on my Lexus came due and I had to do something. Actually would have been nice to wait a little longer on the non-turbo model since when I bought mine dealers around me only had 1-2 on the lot. My "dream sonata" fell by the wayside just so I could get one. So yeah, now that I'm thinking out loud, I might wait till there are a lot of turbos on the lot and trade my 2011 sonata in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
im still waiting on the Turbo, hardtop convertable, 2 door coupe version(i guess i'll be waiting a while, right?) :w00t:

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
I'm waiting for the Turbo Limited. I can't stand when I see a Sonata on the road and I don't have one yet but its worth waiting lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The plan is a turbo limited, install SE or aftermarket suspension in after 20k miles or so. I really like the looks of the Optima more, but dunno if the turbo will drop this year.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I traded in a 2006 3.3L Sonata for the 2011 and was quite aware of the fact that the turbo model was coming in a few months. What I found was I rarely used the power of the V6 and couldn't stand the poor fuel economy. Getting the 2011 was to accomplish two things. One was that it would be nice (but not necessary) to get a new car. The main reason for the change though was to get something more economical and that would save us some money. Waiting for the turbo would have not only cost more, but I highly doubt it would get as good of fuel mileage in the type of driving I do. Plus the 200 HP engine has plenty of pickup for me. I drive mainly backroads with traffic and stop and go conditions. I have basically no use for a turbo. Plus a turbo doesn't go that well with three car seats :grin:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Personally, I'm more than pleased with my SE's power and I must say, the potential for excessive torque steer would have me concerned with the turbo's 275 HP. Then again, it's entirely possible Hyundai has found a way around that, in which case... well I'd have to drive the car because like I said, I'm happy with the SE's power and that's coming from someone who just traded a 265HP RWD BMW Z4 3.0Si for his Sonata. While the Sonata is certainly no Z4, I have yet to find myself in a situation where I'd wished the SE had more HP. I find it's well balanced for the chassis as is. It will be very interesting to see how Hyundai pulls it off when the Turbo's hit the market.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Nope when I bought my car I knew about the turbo coming. But after driving the car it has plenty of power to never need a turbo. Plus turbos reduce reliability and increase maintenance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would have waited for the Turbo if my A/C wasn't broken in my previous car, however the 200 HP is more than enough even for a lead-footed driver like myself. You can't drag-race a 3-series, but other than that it is still a very quick car with more than enough power. If you are into driving your car to it's maximum limits I would wait for the SE Turbo, otherwise the 2.4L engine will probably be plenty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts