Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2009 Chevy Malibu. I'm considering buying an Elantra or Sonata in the new future.

So my question is...would you ever guy a Hyundai again? Why or why not?

I've owned two Chevy's and a Dodge. I've had nothing but problems with them all. I want a safe, reliable car that gets good gas mileage. I also want a car that looks good. There's no reason a car can't have all the above. I'm tired of such cars not having any style to them. I really like the looks of both the Elantra and the Sonata.

I look forward to your replies! Thanks!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I just bought an Accent GS and a Elantra GT last month and may get another in the next three months. I used to be a die hard Chevy guy, but I have gotten to where I don't trust the domestic auto makers anymore. I do have a Chevy Avalanche, but that is because there is no competition out there for the ride and versatility of the Avalanche. No other auto maker puts a warranty on their vehicle like Hyundai does. They trust in what they build and so do I. That's why I would buy again.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I dunno. Some GM products have been a disaster. Others are pretty good. Would I buy another Hyundai? Maybe, but only because I know the product and can fix them somewhat. They have problems too. I think they're a little over rated now. Toyota makes a consistently better product.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I currently own a 2009 Chevy Malibu. I'm considering buying an Elantra or Sonata in the new future.
I have a Malibu and Elantra; both 2012.
I like the Malibu better for road trips.
The Elantra is fine for around town and short trips.
I have not had a SINGLE significant problem with either one of them......well except for the road noise with the Elantra, which apparently can be fixed with different tires.

I might get another Hyundai but I almost didn't get the one I have.
It probably would be a Ford Fusion Hybrid instead except they didn't offer interior colors we could live with at the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great question! I'm a former nothing-but-GM owner -- until about 3 weeks ago! I test drove several Elantra's and then a new Kia Forte before I settled on an '11 Sonata Limited w/22k miles.
I found the Elantra to be a tad underpowered for my liking. My second complaint was how buzzy/unrefined the car was in comparison to my Malibu. The newer Forte fixes both of those issues, btw. Ultimately, I didn't go with either an Elantra or the Forte because my 14yr old son is already 6'2", has size 14 shoes, and shows no signs of slowing down. My concern was that even though the Elantra/Forte have ridiculous amounts of rear seat room, even this wouldn't be enough and that I'd probably be better off with another mid-size sedan.

My old ride, a 2008 Chev Malibu LTZ was a great car -- the problem it's reliability. Overall, almost all of my various GM rides were relatively trouble free. The '08 Malibu was NOT one of them. Found the my current car (an '11 Sonata). Drove it. Liked it. Thought, why not?! In the two weeks I've owned it, my thoughts are:
1) GM's gets a ridiculously bad rap. GM would've been blasted over the things that seem cheap and flimsy in the Sonata - yet the press on the Sonata has been (by in large), very, very good. Dumb things like cheap, hard plastic in various areas. Other dumb stuff like when you press on the truck release or gas-door release, the dash area around it isn't well supported and it flexes. Overall, not a big deal, but stuff the press would've jumped ALL over GM for. My thoughts on this are simply this: GM got themselves into this position for building sub-par vehicles for as long as they did. That being said, the press doesn't put GM on a level playing field.
2) The 2.4l in the Sonata is extremely 'eager'. The car is *fun* to drive. My 2.4l in the Malibu was not. It seemed to want to force you into conservative driving to get the best gas mileage possible. All that being said, in the 70% hwy/30% city driving mix that I do, the Sonata gets about 30mpg when driving it gently and about 28 mpg when not. Keep in mind I've only filled it up 3 times now!
3) The Malibu was much quieter than the Sonata. Not even close. The plus side of that is the Sonata is several hundred pounds lighter than my Malibu was and I'll probably get better gas mileage because of it.
4) Hyundai engineers really need to work on buttoning up the suspension on the Sonata. It's fine for day-to-day, routine use, but if you push the car (I take a freeway curve at seventy while changing lanes) the car is less-than-confident/stable. I could do that with my Malibu w/o even a concern. Wouldn't dream of doing it with the Sonata - it's sloppy (in comparison) at higher speeds.
5) There are tons of things I love about the Sonata -- things that they do better than the Malibu. Driving with the windows down and/or the sunroof open is MUCH quieter than the Malibu ever was. As I mentioned previously, the powertrain is much more eager/fun to drive. The Sonata gets the same, if not a step better, real-life gas mileage than the Malibu while delivering more power/torque.

So far, no concerns -- but again, I'm about 3 weeks into this car! Best luck on whatever decision you make! Overall, I'm very happy with the car & expect to hold onto it for a long, long time.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Most of my Hyundais have been Stellar lol
But our Sonata, no .
I'm not sure, maybe a previous gen Santa fe but I doubt anything new.
I'm also seeing rust issues too, loosing faith in Hyundai I've driven them since my '85 Pony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really thought I was getting a good car when I bought my 2009 Malibu LT2 back in 2010.

Shortly after buying it I had to have the engine replaced due to a stress crack!

Most currently is the problem with gas mileage. All of a sudden I noticed I was only getting about 15mpg. Took it in and they replaced a cracked exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter. I've also had the front ball joints replaced. This car SHOULD NOT have issues such as these. It's really disappointing.

Thanks for the mini review of your Sonata!
Great question! I'm a former nothing-but-GM owner -- until about 3 weeks ago! I test drove several Elantra's and then a new Kia Forte before I settled on an '11 Sonata Limited w/22k miles.
I found the Elantra to be a tad underpowered for my liking. My second complaint was how buzzy/unrefined the car was in comparison to my Malibu. The newer Forte fixes both of those issues, btw. Ultimately, I didn't go with either an Elantra or the Forte because my 14yr old son is already 6'2", has size 14 shoes, and shows no signs of slowing down. My concern was that even though the Elantra/Forte have ridiculous amounts of rear seat room, even this wouldn't be enough and that I'd probably be better off with another mid-size sedan.

My old ride, a 2008 Chev Malibu LTZ was a great car -- the problem it's reliability. Overall, almost all of my various GM rides were relatively trouble free. The '08 Malibu was NOT one of them. Found the my current car (an '11 Sonata). Drove it. Liked it. Thought, why not?! In the two weeks I've owned it, my thoughts are:
1) GM's gets a ridiculously bad rap. GM would've been blasted over the things that seem cheap and flimsy in the Sonata - yet the press on the Sonata has been (by in large), very, very good. Dumb things like cheap, hard plastic in various areas. Other dumb stuff like when you press on the truck release or gas-door release, the dash area around it isn't well supported and it flexes. Overall, not a big deal, but stuff the press would've jumped ALL over GM for. My thoughts on this are simply this: GM got themselves into this position for building sub-par vehicles for as long as they did. That being said, the press doesn't put GM on a level playing field.
2) The 2.4l in the Sonata is extremely 'eager'. The car is *fun* to drive. My 2.4l in the Malibu was not. It seemed to want to force you into conservative driving to get the best gas mileage possible. All that being said, in the 70% hwy/30% city driving mix that I do, the Sonata gets about 30mpg when driving it gently and about 28 mpg when not. Keep in mind I've only filled it up 3 times now!
3) The Malibu was much quieter than the Sonata. Not even close. The plus side of that is the Sonata is several hundred pounds lighter than my Malibu was and I'll probably get better gas mileage because of it.
4) Hyundai engineers really need to work on buttoning up the suspension on the Sonata. It's fine for day-to-day, routine use, but if you push the car (I take a freeway curve at seventy while changing lanes) the car is less-than-confident/stable. I could do that with my Malibu w/o even a concern. Wouldn't dream of doing it with the Sonata - it's sloppy (in comparison) at higher speeds.
5) There are tons of things I love about the Sonata -- things that they do better than the Malibu. Driving with the windows down and/or the sunroof open is MUCH quieter than the Malibu ever was. As I mentioned previously, the powertrain is much more eager/fun to drive. The Sonata gets the same, if not a step better, real-life gas mileage than the Malibu while delivering more power/torque.

So far, no concerns -- but again, I'm about 3 weeks into this car! Best luck on whatever decision you make! Overall, I'm very happy with the car & expect to hold onto it for a long, long time.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
This car SHOULD NOT have issues such as these. It's really disappointing.
From your post count, it would appear that you haven't been here very long. Look around a bit.

There are folks here who have horror stories about most of the Hyundai models too.

And so do owners of virtually EVERY car brand out there.
Check some other model specific forums.

Modern manufacturing processes expects to have some turn out like that. It is cheaper to fix a few bad ones than "waste" money on the production line testing everything.

Sad but true.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had many major issues with my 1999 Chevy Camaro that I had before the Malibu. I must have bad luck or something. I realize there's going to be some that turn out like that. It just sucks that I get them.
From your post count, it would appear that you haven't been here very long. Look around a bit.

There are folks here who have horror stories about most of the Hyundai models too.

And so do owners of virtually EVERY car brand out there.
Check some other model specific forums.

Modern manufacturing processes expects to have some turn out like that. It is cheaper to fix a few bad ones than "waste" money on the production line testing everything.

Sad but true.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just had to let my 04 Sonata go. I didn't want to, but between it and my Ford I was spending way too much money on repairs. There wasn't really anything wrong with my Sonata. It was just getting worn out and needed some parts replaced so it didn't break down completely. I would get the money to fix the next part on my Sonata and then the Ford would break down and need to be fixed, so the Hyundai got pushed back since the Ford has more space. Given the opportunity, I'd buy another Hyundai in a heartbeat. I would love to have a Santa Fe or one of the hybrids. Currently, I'm left with my Ford Freestyle and an 08 Prius. I'm not buying another Ford unless it's a truck because this thing is a money drain. It's not necessarily a bad car, but the parts to fix it and the labor since Ford doesn't want people working on their own cars anymore cost more than the car is even worth.

My Sonata was at around 187K miles and had never let me down. The alternator just finally wore out and I got lucky that the timing belt never snapped or skipped. I seriously cried when I handed over the keys. I loved that car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am relatively new to the Hyundai brand (bought my Azera in November) but so far it has been flawless, as I would expect of any new car. I was so happy with it that when my daughter (who is in the Navy) wanted a more efficient car than her Camaro, we looked at several different Hybrids and she decided on the HSH. In between, I purchased a Cadillac SRX for my wife and what a disappointment. Don't get em wrong, the SRX is a nice vehicle but we have had nothing but software issues with this car. The car was perfect until we got recall notice about a software update for the transmission in April. At the same time they updated the memory seat software which effectively rendered the seats inoperable and also the "Cue" system was updated. The Cue system drives everything dashboard related, audio system, climate control, dashboard functions, etc. WHAT A DISASTER. The transmission is so rough now that I told them to drag an old 53 Chevy pickup in and swap the transmissions between the two. And the Cue system is so messed up that you never know what is going to happen. You will be driving down the road and the system will lock up, if the A/C is running, chances are it's going to get very cold in there in a hurry. You totally loose all control of the audio system and speedo and tach will even lock up. And of course, you get the old standard from the service department, "We can't duplicate the problem so we can't fix it." We have resorted to turning off features to try to pin point problems areas. I keep telling my wife for what we paid for that car she could of had an Equus and everything would probably be working correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had many major issues with my 1999 Chevy Camaro that I had before the Malibu. I must have bad luck or something. I realize there's going to be some that turn out like that. It just sucks that I get them.
A couple of things to keep in mind (being a former Camaro owner, myself). Power corrupts. I drove my Camaro like I stole it -- part of it was my age at the time I owned the vehicle, and part of me was the car itself. You've got a car that has that kind of power and handling, and it's tough NOT to put your foot into it, throw it around and put several smiles on your face. That kind of driving is hard on a car. Even if you didn't drive the car like that yourself ( and if you told me you didn't, I wouldn't believe you :)), the people before you likely did.

Likewise, I thought I was buying a reliable vehicle when I purchased my '08 Malibu. A door lock actuator (known issue), a faulty heated seat, bad turn signal stalk, and FOUR trips in for the transmission (mine had the new-for-2008 6-speed) convinced me otherwise. I was lucky enough to eventually have the transmission grenade itself while still under GM's powertrain warranty (3-5-R wave plate failed, another known issue, a revised one was made available starting sometime in '09). GM dealer put a remanufactured transmission in and I had it traded off for my Sonata within 3 days.

I don't expect my Sonata to be trouble free. As someone else posted, every manufacturer has it's issues. That being said, in my brief ownership period, I've found the Sonata to be enjoyable to drive. If someone were to ask me today to recommend the Sonata, I would without hesitation. I'd totally recommend you find one to test drive yourself. I was lucky enough to stumble across the one I purchased. The dealership I bought it from (Walser Hyundai in Brooklyn Park, MN) offers a free unlimited mileage/unlimited age powertrain warranty for every used vehicle that is less than 10 years old and has less than 60k miles. You just need to keep your oil changes receipts. You can upgrade it to bumper-to-bumper coverage (which I choose to do) for $2k. So for me, it was a no-brainer. I went to an almost loaded, comparably sized car, with better hp/torque, slightly better gas mileage, and lifetime bumper-to-bumper coverage.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
after blowing up my manual trans at 180k kms you'd think i'd never want another hyundai...but i'll be buying a new one in a year or two.

when i did my research, i found that my trans was a totally freak occurrence that almost never happens. the trans shop confirmed this, they have never had an accent in for manual trans failure! the guy wasn't even sure what to quote me since he'd never done a rebuild! it's also the biggest one in the city i live in. this can happen with any car, so i can't really blame hyundai for it.

any other issues i have had have been known problems from the start (clutch bearings, rust issues) any beyond that i have only really done normal maintenance. bit of bad luck tearing brake boots, but again i can't blame hyundai for that. could have happened to any car.

what i like about hyundai over other manufacturers is i see a drive for better technology in their vehicles. i'm not talking about some stupid bluetooth or navigation unit, i could care less about that. i mean how they have developed a very advanced direct cylinder fuel injected engine, started to use dual clutch transmissions, etc. i don't see other manufacturers making leaps like this. honda comes to mind, what have they really changed in the last 10 years? sure the cars have been refined and are not bad cars by any means but has there been any big push for better tech under the hood? no. they're still humping their v-tech which came out in the 80's. great tech, but i want more.

furthermore, those flaws i've had with my LC2 accent have been fixed from what i can tell. newer ones don't really blow the clutch bearing, the rust is mostly rear wheel wells and bottom of the doors. the doors is caused by poorly designed window seals and bad water drainage out of the bottom of the door from what i can tell. they're not build like that anymore

and lastly, i know of no other company that freely gives you the tech info to maintain your own car. their cars have remained fairly easy to work on - built to be maintained. look under the hood of a new accent and compare to say a toyota yaris. the yaris is a nightmare.

oh and the warranty doesn't hurt either ;)

·
Banned
17 Posts
So my question is...would you ever guy a Hyundai again? Why or why not?

No, never. I bought a 2011 Sonata Hybrid new and it has never performed. Even though it's a hybrid, the top mpg I can achieve is 26 mpg under any/all conditions imaginable.
I would say buy another Hyundai vehicle but based on the way I'm being treated at Hyundai, both at the dealer and corporate level, I would encourage anyone considering purchasing a vehicle to avoid Hyundai at all costs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Im on my 5th Hyundai. 2 Excels, an Elantra and now working on 2nd Santa Fe. Yes, Id buy another, but must admit a little disappointment in my 2012 SF. Several annoying minor issues that should never made it past QC. I will look carefully at the 15 SF next year when its time to trade again. I think the redesign of the 13 SF was a mistake. Now it looks like the Ferd Exploder and Toyota CRV. The SF was distinctive...now its just one of the crowd.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Personally, I'm done once my Elantra has gone.

My 2004 Santa Fe sparked my love for the brand and required only two warranty visits in the first 100,000 miles; one for a defective radio and another for poor rear wiper pressure on the glass. My 2010 Santa Fe that replaced was a dream come true that rapidly progressed into a nightmare. An abbreviated list of problems includes cracking and peeling paint, failing air conditioning in heavy rain, a random issue that would cause the car to stall without warning (usually in the middle of an intersection), a leaking radiator, water in the taillights, and a faulty outside temperature gauge just to name a few. All that transpired in just over a year. :dry: I gave them one more shot with my Elantra and I'm starting to wish I hadn't. While the car hasn't been the lemon the Santa Fe was, I'm less than impressed with how the car is holding up, especially on the interior materials. Personally I think Hyundai has become almost as drunk on their success as Toyota has and is really just making cars that look nice and appear to be a good value but don't hold up over time which is sad because there was a very short period of time where they made fabulous cars but nobody knew it.

After driving a Mazda 6 Grand Touring last week, it made me realize how poor some of the Hyundai materials really are and how subpar their suspension tuning is. The 6 sold me and I plan on trading up to a 6 GT next spring.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
So much depends on your expectations and what purpose you wanted the car to serve. Our Elantra is going on 6 months, love it. We wanted a econobox with good MPG, for around the city driving. Also we did do a few long trips with it and overall, for the $$ a great little car. Averaging 30-32 around town, not a one issue so far and easy to get around in. Our Lincoln Hybrid has also been flawless so far. Yes, at this point I would buy another Elantra. Of course things could change. Also, The Elantra replaced a 1992 Camry so a huge technological jump in 21 years and that may be a part of it.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
My 11 Elantra is my first Hyundai and I would consider another. Only several small issues since I purchased but the next few years will tell the real story. I've had a few recent rough starts and the rough idle is happening regularly again. If I had to buy another car now I would likely test drive Subaru, Mazda, and Honda before making a decision.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't think I can resist the low prices by Hyundai and Kia. When I look at the Friday car ads Hyundai/Kia cars are way under the other Japanese makers that I can deal with any interior issues or little things. I have seen thousands taken off the low profit Accent but for the Fit, Yaris never. Maybe they will take a few hundered off sticker but that's it.

So yes, I would buy another one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes, for sure I would get another Hyundai.

I am into my second Hyundai at the moment. The first one was 2006 GLS V6 Sonata that I put around 110k miles on w/o any major issues. The ride was nice, certainly IMO better than the rental Malibus I have driven. With the growing family I switched to Veracruz. Nice CUV for the money and I love the warranty, versatility, and entry level lux feel and build. My only complaint is the gas mileage. This is not modern Ecoboost tech, more like a 1990s basic V6 w/ gas consumption to go with it...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts