Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the market for midsize 6/7 seater. I'm been lurking for a while due to my interest in the LWB Santa Fe, but also just heard about the 2014 Kia Sorento, which is built on the same chasis as the Santa Fe. The 3rd row would be used infrequently, and only by kids, so wondering what the trade offs might be of the Sorento vs. the LWB Santa Fe? Seems like I give up a bit of space (which wouldn't be needed very often), for a smaller, lighter vehicle. How do you think the 2 compare as to fit, finish, etc?

Kipa

http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-kia-sorento-is-refreshed-and-ready-for-crossover-battle-2012-la-295857.html#axzz2DkzAg2Wu

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Sure why not consider it?

My sister has a Sorento and likes it. I think fit and finish would be comparable, and the vehicles are about same size. Strictly from an asthetic perspective, imuch prefer the SF inside and out over the Sorento. I sat in one at the dealer a few months ago, and I know the 2014 is different, but I hated the dash. Outside, I finder the Sorento looks....fat on profile. I saw one today and thought the same thing. Again, these are just my thoughts based on my personal preferences. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :D

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm in the market for midsize 6/7 seater. I'm been lurking for a while due to my interest in the LWB Santa Fe, but also just heard about the 2014 Kia Sorento, which is built on the same chasis as the Santa Fe. The 3rd row would be used infrequently, and only by kids, so wondering what the trade offs might be of the Sorento vs. the LWB Santa Fe? Seems like I give up a bit of space (which wouldn't be needed very often), for a smaller, lighter vehicle. How do you think the 2 compare as to fit, finish, etc?

Kipa

Refreshed 2014 Kia Sorento is Ready for Crossover Battle - 2012 L.A. - WOT on Motor Trend
Appears to me to be based on the Santa Fe platform. The only thing I could discern as different would be the dash treatment and the engine availability. The article doesn't make clear to me if this is the three seat version or the the two seat and does have the V6 which would be a plus for those desiring more non turbo power.

I've owned a Kia before and they are very comparable. I would give the Hyundai the edge on refinement and resale value although the Sorento has a good reputation and they have sold a ton of them.

Other than that, they appear to be much the same vehicle.

For reference the Santa Fe is built by Kia in Georgia. There can't be much difference. I do prefer the dash treatment on the Hyundai, however. Having lived with my Santa Fe for going on four months and 3,300 miles, the only problem I have had was the gas cap light that was corrected by a software fix. Other than that, I have had no problems, whatever. You won't go wrong with either car.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Kipa

Refreshed 2014 Kia Sorento is Ready for Crossover Battle - 2012 L.A. - WOT on Motor Trend
I don't want to sound sexist but this is purely the opinion of my family about Kia brand.. My brother and I both don't like the name 'Kia'!!

It is a girl's name.. so all Kia models makes us feel like its a chic car..

I like the looks of Sorento and Optima.. but I just don't like the name - Kia :eek:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't want to sound sexist but this is purely the opinion of my family about Kia brand.. My brother and I both don't like the name 'Kia'!!

I like the looks of Sorento and Optima.. but I just don't like the name - Kia :eek:
I can understand that as well . . .and KIA can mean, "killed in action"!!

Kia has the new K9 sedan and for the big money that is, the name, K9 = Dog!! Will that really sell over here?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

If I felt that way and liked the car enough to buy, I'd just change/remove the badging.
John

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm in the same position basically. What did you decide to do?

I had a KIA rondo 2009 I liked it but def noticed lack of quality..IE; the rear passanger door wouldn't close properly in the winter..1 of the "lighter ports" didn't work...and driving it sometimes felt "off" when it came to shifting gears...different model I know..but With my entire experience owning it (lack of after care or follow ups and general ownership) We decided to trade it in a year before we originally planned..I know they are under the same "umbrella" but I don't think I would ever get another KIA IMO :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
They just didn't have the same amount of sportiness that the SFS has for my liking. It may offer things I wish the SFS could have had, but it wasn't enough to convince me to switch platforms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
To Kipa
If you want nice and dependable car for 4 (with 2nd row or 6 with 3rd) go for Toyota Highlander - you will newer regret.
For me, I had my choices narrowed down to the Toyota Highlander, Kia Sorento, and the Hyundai SF LWB, but the Highlander is looking a bit dated to me. Technologically behind the other two, and the transmission just seemed a bit sluggish compared to the other two. So now I have it down to the Kia and the Hyundai. It seems like my choice is between the extra room in the longer SF vs the smaller Kia that has a few extra features possible (memory, ventilated seats, etc).

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just purchased a Santa Fe LWB and cross-shopped the Sorento.

On the interior, the Hyundai just looks and feels better to me. Although the build quality is just as high, the Kia's interios just feels dated. The bulging center stack and the way the screen and button are laid out looks very uninspired. The Sorento interior is also very dark. There's no contrasting colors or design... just a bunch of black.

I also think the new Santa Fe looks better, by miles. The Sorento has always looked fat to me. Like it's just a little bit bloated. And the wheels offered are terrible.

I will say though, that the 2014 Sorento looks very promising. Although the interior still looks very "entry level", I like what they did to the exterior. The little changes to the front give it a bit of a Land Rover Evoque look.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Everyone, I'll give a brief history of my shopping needs and wants. I have been a lifelong Toyota/Lexus owner, and never even considered a Hyundai or Kia until 2 years ago. My mom switched from 20 years of Camrys and picked up a 2012 Loaded Optima. She loves it, and it drives amazing... she has never been so happy with a car before. I was in the market for a new SUV, or large sedan. I liked the 2011-2013 Sorento, but too much of its backbown was based on "old" Kia ways. Unimpressed by the interior, old Santa Fe Platform and very very poor 3.5 V6, cheap plastics inside, and a droopy panoramic sunshade. Also the Nav of that generation is very poor... especially with route planning and alternate route suggestions(usually it was just the same route with one turn being different near the beginning or the end). As I believe Hyundai owns 60% of Kia(I could be wrong on this), they look at each other as big competitors, which is great for us. I waited patiently for the new Santa Fe to be released, I was convinced this would be my vehicle. At the New York Auto Show I was so impressed by the almost production model. When the specs hit I was very dissapointed, and ended up purchasing an Azera(which was a mistake for my needs, but ended up being a beautiful luxury vehicle, just was rather soul less to drive). The Santa Fe Sport dropped the third row(it is available in other markets), no LED tail lights, no mood lighting, no cooled seats, no V6 option in the sport model, leather that felt like upgraded vinyl, no power folding mirrors(You would be suprised how many times these come in handy), no xenon HID's, no backup warning, no blind spot detection, and the list goes on. I decided to take a trip to Kia(based on the 2013 Santa Fe Platform) to see what the Sorento SX L was like. I was impressed at first glance, and even more impressed with how it drove. New 3.3 V6 that is in the new LWB Santa Fe, Supervision display(The entire speedo, etc is all a semi-configurable LCD), an most importantly not much more expensive then a loaded Santa Fe Sport. If Hyundai simply offered a Limited package with those features, I feel many of us will gladly pay. At the point of paying almost 40k for a loaded Santa Fe or Sorento, many will spend the extra 2k to get everything they want... but Hyundai not even making it an option does not make good marketing sense to me. I can see Hyundai, and even Kia at some point offering a premium RWD/AWD SUV based on the Genesis, my guess some of those features were left off as a reason to push buyers into a more premium category. After 2 weeks of ownership, I love the Sorento even more then the day I bought it. Please see some pictures that I took a couple days after purchase, which also include some pictures at dusk.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Just a note that the Highlander is being redesigned fopr 2014, and based on posts in the LWB thread, a reveal is taking plave at the NY Auto show tomorrow. Suggest those interested have a look. I just sold my 2009 HL and it was a great vehicle, but not as sporty as the SF (handling was not great). Also I wanted a change so thus considering the LWB. If I could wait, I might consider a 14 HL, but only after seeing the redesign.

Sorrento, seems like a great vehicle, but even with extra features, aesthetics plays a huge role in my decision, and Sorento, yes....in my opinion, loses big time, inside and out, to the Hyundai LWB. I don't care if I have extra features if every time I see a LWB, I think to myself. "Looks so much better...I wish I had one". Plus, the Cdn version has many of same featuires. It really comes down to individ priorities and preferences.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Personally, I don't like the exterior design of the Sorento VS. the SFS.
Another big point for me is the interior lighting. All the buttons etc, are in RED... I hate that colour for an interior. I find the blue's a much nicer colour, especially at night then the red...

Just my 2 cents. But exterior styling alone... not even close if you ask me.

·
Registered
918 Posts
All the interior button LEDs can be changed. It might take a bit of work, but it's possible. Also, I like how Kia offers power folding mirrors on every car of theirs. Either as a package or on specific trim levels. I'm a big fan of those. Parking sensors are nice as well. Even with a camera.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just don't see the point of parking sensors when I have a backup camera; I can obviously see I'm getting close to hitting something, so why hear beeping?

The blind spot sensors are pointless if you have your side view mirrors adjusted appropriately...99% of people simply don't do it right. I'd rather see what's in my "blind spot" than have a sensor tell me there's something there.

I would like a power liftgate, but most of the other features just don't matter that much to me...at least not enough to justify buying a vehicle that's not as goodlooking. But, to each their own.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I would like a power liftgate, but most of the other features just don't matter that much to me...at least not enough to justify buying a vehicle that's not as goodlooking. But, to each their own.
What about "memory seats"?

Most of us can't afford to buy a second SFS for the wife so we don't have to keep readjusting the seat, mirrors & steering wheel. :D
John

1 - 20 of 34 Posts