Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm a prospective GT buyer (dealers here in Ottawa, Canada are offering quite a bit to move the 2013s off their lots) who recently test drove both the 2013 Sedan and GT and loved both cars. I prefer the GT, but a lot of the threads on here about fuel efficiency and annoying problems (trim falling off) are a little concerning.

I'm coming from a 2001 Civic (I got around 7.4L/100km or 32MPG) where I did 70/30 city/highway driving. At this point I've accepted fuel efficiency on the GT probably won't be as good as my old Civic, but some of the numbers I see are scary high.

Anyway, how do you like your GT after owning it for awhile? Would you buy it again today if you had the choice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm a prospective GT buyer (dealers here in Ottawa, Canada are offering quite a bit to move the 2013s off their lots) who recently test drove both the 2013 Sedan and GT and loved both cars. I prefer the GT, but a lot of the threads on here about fuel efficiency and annoying problems (trim falling off) are a little concerning.

I'm coming from a 2001 Civic (I got around 7.4L/100km or 32MPG) where I did 70/30 city/highway driving. At this point I've accepted fuel efficiency on the GT probably won't be as good as my old Civic, but some of the numbers I see are scary high.

Anyway, how do you like your GT after owning it for awhile? Would you buy it again today if you had the choice?

Thanks!

Only been in mine a few weeks, but yes I would buy it again. Haven't had any issues so far and I'm getting 30 MPG combined. Most of my commute is highway speeds at 75-80mph, so considering that I am satisfied. It does much better at 65-70mph, but my brain is unable to drive under the speed limit:)

Interior is very spacious for the class, and the hatch swallows up our HUGE baby stroller. I was very surprised it fit. I honestly think it's the best looking car in it's class, has a TON of features and you can't beat the warranty.

Former GM guy, now converted:)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would buy it again, but not from the same dealer... Only reason I bought it was for the warranty as I want to keep it for 10 years, I didnt even look at other options..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my GT for only 6 weeks but I have already put about 4000 kms on it. I drive mine for work everyday in Metro Vancouver so it's primarily city driving in bad congestion. My Fuelly account has my average at 8.4L/100km. It's not great but considering my driving conditions, I'm ok with it. I did a road trip to Seattle this weekend, and I managed to get 6.8L/100km combined with driving around Seattle for 2 days. I'm at 610km on the trip meter with 2 bars left in fuel, so 700 should be easily doable on this tank.

I love the rest of the car, so I would definitely buy the car again. It's still a great improvement in mileage from my old Mazda5, and much more fun to drive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've owned a lot of cars over the years and this is one of the funnest, coolest cars I've ever driven or owned. I get more stares and comments in this car than any other. I have over 20k miles on mine already with zero problems. I look forward to getting off of work so I can drive it and I have a long commute. I was going to buy the sedan but I'm really glad I waited! My $.02 cents.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm into mine for almost a year (August 31) and have just under 18k miles on it with only 1 problem to speak of (a broken steering wheel button). There is no other car on the market in my opinion that has more bang for your buck right now. Leather, huge pano sunroof, good gas mileage, great warranty, good fit & finish .....all for right around $20,000US. The biggest downfall of this car to me is the lack of horsepower/turbo but that would lower the MPGs a bit.

That being said I would buy this car again for what I use it for and that is a 100 mile round tip commute. But if I had a shorter commute, there would be plenty of other cars I would pick up in front of the GT. Just something bigger and more powerful...

·
Registered
150 Posts
My only regret is not getting the "Tech" package. Wife keeps leaving the lights on with the keys in it(garage kept). Got everything else though. Had it now since April 1st pushing 8000 miles. We absolutely love it. Fuel economy has been consistently North of 34.5 on military power. Haven't noticed any issues with lack of power or acceleration. Nothing has fallen off. It is quiet, comfortable and roomy. I especially love the ease of egress and ingress of the cargo area. Much more useable than the Coupe or Sedan to get things in and out. Maybe a bit bigger as well.

Solid car. Great value. It's my first Hyundai but it won't be my last.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'd buy again, as I think the GT has a great combination of features, value, looks, etc. It also has great sightlines out of the cockpit and a lot of room inside. It just drives nice. The warranty is great. Yes, there are some reported problems, but they're pretty few and far between. The car is solid and WELL screwed together.

All that being said, the GT is somewhat deficient in driving dynamics compared to the best of the competition, particularly the Mazda 3, Ford Focus, and VW Golf. (The "GT" moniker unduly raises expectations, I think.) I bought this car mainly for my wife and daughter to drive and they could care less about driving the car aggressively and wouldn't know the difference between understeer and oversteer if it clubbed them over the head so this doesn't matter to them. But if I were buying for myself, I'd get one of the above cars. (Actually, I'd wait for a year and get either the Mazda or the VW as both have significantly-improved new models in the wings. On that subject, I think the Elantra is probably getting ready for at least a mid-cycle-refresh and a Spec R model of the GT with more power is probably waiting in the wings also. If you don't need to buy now, I'd wait a year.)

Hyundai over-promised and under-delivered on fuel economy, so it has come under pretty heavy criticism and justifiably so. But in this class of cars (and ruling out electrics, hybrids, and diesels), the competition, if it does any better at all, only does slightly better. I think the criticism about fuel mileage is more centered around not meeting expectations rather than not being more/less competitive in the class. Overall in the same service, I think the Mazda probably does about 3 mpg better. Do the math and the cost savings are pretty small for drivers in North America, so I wouldn't let this be a huge driver of your decision.

To level the playing field, make sure you scruntinize the forums for other cars you're considering as actively as you do this one. EVERY car has a vocal minority of folks who are having major problems with the car and EVERY forum has folks complaining about gas mileage. There is no car made which doesn't have detractors and the internet always amplifies the bad and minimizes the good.

- Mark

·
Registered
196 Posts
Had it now since April 1st pushing 8000 miles. We absolutely love it. Fuel economy has been consistently North of 34.5 on military power. Haven't noticed any issues with lack of power or acceleration. Nothing has fallen off. It is quiet, comfortable and roomy. I especially love the ease of egress and ingress of the cargo area. Much more useable than the Coupe or Sedan to get things in and out. Maybe a bit bigger as well.

Solid car. Great value. It's my first Hyundai but it won't be my last.
Same boat here, although I've only had a couple of tanks above 34 MPG, I've been averaging just over 31 (now that's calculated based on actuals, since the dash display I've found is about 5% overstating). I find it comfortable and roomy, same as mleemor, although I wouldn't say it's exactly quiet but I knew I wasn't buying a Lexus either.

For what it is: an economy car, it definitely meets my needs: comfort, function, good looks, value.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Apart from the lack of power, I'd definitely buy this car again. If they come out with a turbo version, don't walk, run to the dealershi. I love the toys that Hyundai has chosen to include, so there's no doubt in my mind that this car is amazing value.

I'm having a riot with it in closed courses as well, so can definitely vouch for the GT aspect of it. Once I man up and do the turbo plunge, this'll be a great ride.

If you do get the GT, do the rear shock upgrade asap -- makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would buy again for the right price, which in my opinion is ~$16k for base + auto. I will not buy any extra packages, as I believe they will be long-term trouble, as everything is made very cheaply on this car. It is a promising design and makes for a great first impression, but the more time you spend with it, the more apparent the bean-counting becomes. This is truly a low-end cheap car, which doesn't deserve the MSRP.

- Suspension is the worst I've ever driven. You absolutely need to spend the extra money to replace the rear dampers (see the KYB thread) to makes it ok-ish. The front is too soft and bobs a lot, the rear is not damped enough and jerks/skips off. Overall, the suspension is ridiculously miscalculated. You also probably need a specialized tune-up shop do an alignment to improve over the factory specs, which make for a jarring ride.
- Upholstery is a stain magnet. Never had another car that stains so easily and difficult to clean. You either need to put seat cover the moment you drive it out the dealer lot, or treat the upholstery with some heavy duty chemicals to make it more stain repelling.
- Gas mileage sub par in the segment
- Warranty not as great as advertised - a lot of components not covered. Make sure you read the warranty book before you buy. You'd be surprised how much is left to interpretation and what is excluded from the 5/60K base warranty, let alone the 10/100k. They don't call it "bumper-to-bumper" warranty for a reason.

·
6,836 Posts
...my brain is unable to drive under the speed limit:)
HAHA...welcome to my world.

First. Person. [Probably.] Ever. to get speeding ticket doing 85 in a Nissan Leaf.

(They're not sluggish, for the record, but I'd like for people to continue believing they are so I can do sneak attacks.)

Anyway, I'm veering OT here.

Worst. Mod. Ever. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love my GT, driving it since 4/25/13, mpg avg per on board computer is 35.5 as of today. i drive the manual trans. did find my tires over inflated by alot from dealer, corrected it to 33psi and car feels much smoother ( hanks to info from previous threads on tire inflation)!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Still happy after almost seven months. Except for economy it has delivered what I expected. At this point I'd probably buy it again, but the Mazda CX-5 still looks mighty tempting.

Geoff

·
Registered
36 Posts

- Suspension is the worst I've ever driven. You absolutely need to spend the extra money to replace the rear dampers (see the KYB thread) to makes it ok-ish. The front is too soft and bobs a lot, the rear is not damped enough and jerks/skips off. Overall, the suspension is ridiculously miscalculated. You also probably need a specialized tune-up shop do an alignment to improve over the factory specs, which make for a jarring ride.
I agree with this fully except I would say the rear is overdamped. I came from a 2001 Mazda Protege and I am fairly disappointed with the driving dynamics of this car.

I had a private shop do an alignment as the steering wheel was off centre and wandered, that was a welcome improvement.

I enjoy the stereo, the looks, the interior style, the cabin is pretty quiet.

I mentioned to the dealer about the squirrelly rear end when hitting manhole covers and such. The dealer shrugged it, never heard of it.

The car is 1/2 lower on the rear driver side wheel well. You can see the crookedness when it's parked. The dealer shrugged it off, actually told me I was wrong. The tape measure don't lie.

If I can get these concerns worked out then maybe I would purchase one again. Currently I am thinking I should of held out for the new Mazda3.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've had mine since the beginning of November, and currently have just over 19,000km on it. My only real complaints are that the car is unpowered (though I'm comparing it to the fact that I can from a car with a 240hp V6), and that to get the nav/backup camera and mirror indicators you're stuck with an automatic only SE. Other than that I love my GLS, and I suggest getting the manual over the automatic. It drives much better than the automatic. Though I will say, if they ever wise up and put the 1.6T in or turbo the 1.8 from factory, I'll be the first guy in line for it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I love my GT but I wouldn't buy it again. I should have saved my money and bought a Sonata instead. Fuel mileage has been great. Now 37 MPG average city/highway.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Interesting question. I think it depends on what your priorities are. In my opinion the car looks great outside, is relatively comfortable, interior looks better than many in its class (although that cardboard floorboard annoys me- one would think they could stick in carpet if you are getting leather), and fits 4 adults comfortably and or lots of stuff for its size while being easy to park (good size of car in urban area). The downside is fuel economy particularly if you drive any hills which wouldn't be as bothersome if the car had more power. It appears the manual does much better in the MPG. The ride is a little floaty and in my experience it seems to need more than average steering corrections at highway speed. So depends on if comfort, price, warranty and equipment trump specific driving dymanics (power and handling). If dynamics win out I would wait to see the new Mazda 3 in person (did not like the interior or front end of the last one). Forget the Focus with the dual clutch "automatic".

·
Registered
196 Posts
..(although that cardboard floorboard annoys me- one would think they could stick in carpet if you are getting leather)....
Yea, I forgot about that one. When I first got my car I couldn't believe it as I flicked it with my finger I thought the same thing: cardboard with some fuzz on it. Weak...

I'm curious to see how the materail on the headliner (retractable cover for the sunroof) holds up over time. I would suspect major sagging, but let's see.

If I didn't say it in my previous posts, I would definitely buy the car again considering its competition/value/function/looks.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts