Hyundai Forums banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,005 Posts
I have owned 3 Hyundai vesicles. Currently have a 2015 Sonata that without any notice, the engine burned. Although the car was still under warranty, they have not reimbursed me for the new engine replacement that cost me $5,095. I put a reimbursement request in in beginning of September. Clearly they have had mechanical issue that occur right after the car hits 60K miles. I will never buy another Hyundai again. They DO NOT stand behind their manufacturing issues or their customers.
Did a Hyundai Dealer do the engine replacement or did you have an independent shop do the repair / engine? if it was done at the dealer you would be the first owner Ive heard of that did not get a free replacement, it should have warrantied and you should not have paid anything up front.

Now if you had an independent mechanic / garage do the replacement then I can see where you may run into delays or possibly even denial from Hyundai.

Were there other factors involved, did you have service records to show the service schedule was followed.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,005 Posts
Did a Hyundai Dealer do the engine replacement or did you have an independent shop do the repair / engine? if it was done at the dealer you would be the first owner Ive heard of that did not get a free replacement, it should have warrantied and you should not have paid anything up front.

Now if you had an independent mechanic / garage do the replacement then I can see where you may run into delays or possibly even denial from Hyundai.

Were there other factors involved, did you have service records to show the service schedule was followed.
Disregard the questions in my post I saw your other post in the other thread.
The 2015 Sonata are part of the covered Theta Engine problems and are being warrantied at dealers all over the USA.

based on your post you are probably having trouble being reimbursed because
1. You stated the oil solidified... that does not happen because the engine is about to throw a bearing or fire, it sounds like the oil was not changed regularly or if it was if you have documentation it should help your claim.
2. IMO the big problem is you had an independent shop do the work without getting prior approval from Hyundai, any Hyundai dealer would have towed it on their dime if the car was under warranty. Even if not under warranty every blown engine claim Ive heard of was covered by HYundai even with engines well over 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Disregard the questions in my post I saw your other post in the other thread.
The 2015 Sonata are part of the covered Theta Engine problems and are being warrantied at dealers all over the USA.

based on your post you are probably having trouble being reimbursed because
1. You stated the oil solidified... that does not happen because the engine is about to throw a bearing or fire, it sounds like the oil was not changed regularly or if it was if you have documentation it should help your claim.
2. IMO the big problem is you had an independent shop do the work without getting prior approval from Hyundai, any Hyundai dealer would have towed it on their dime if the car was under warranty. Even if not under warranty every blown engine claim Ive heard of was covered by HYundai even with engines well over 100,000 miles.
Would you provide a link to the 2015 recall?

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,005 Posts
Would you provide a link to the 2015 recall?
Im sorry using "recall" was incorrect, what they have done is implement "campaigns", "TSB" and extended the warranty on all Theta II engines from 2011 -2018 to 120,000 miles now and as soon as the court settlement is finalized it will be extended to lifetime for fire and engine failure related to bearing failures. Kia has already been doing this for the past year or more

many more

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, Earlier this year I traded in my 2013 Sonata SE, with over 100,000 miles, on a 2019 Sonata Sport. The Sport has all the features my 2013 SE had (moonroof, paddle shifters, heated seats, push button start, ect..) with a few extras, heated steering wheel, auto dual climate. Fun car to drive! Also bought my daughter a 2013 Elantra Limited.

Lance

·
Registered
114 Posts
i would NOT get a another sonata. and here is my reason:
I have fallen in love with the Genesis G70, when i decide to trade in my 2018 or buy another one i think i would look at their Genesis line ( hopefully they keep the RWD and manual options).
Jokes aside got experience with my local dealer ( little bit pushy on their "reccomended" services) but they took care of the 953 and and and Emblem replacement. gave me rental for 3 weeks and did not had to pay anything. i always recomend kias and hyndais to whoever wants the best bang for buck for a comutter car and with all the standar options it comes with i was amaze, the only vehicles i could find in the same rage where the smaller corolla/Civic but they did not had the same feature set.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
the emblem on the grille was fading on a 5 month old vehicle. ( paint and body is covered up to 1 year)
So the 953 Was a software update right? What took 3 weeks?

it’s awesome they are giving out loaner cars so much. seems they put 2-3k miles and then sell them as new. I got mine for an amazing deal with 2600 miles.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So the 953 Was a software update right? What took 3 weeks?

it’s awesome they are giving out loaner cars so much. seems they put 2-3k miles and then sell them as new. I got mine for an amazing deal with 2600 miles.
did 953 with my oil change back in feb/2019. next day got in to limp mode. took it to the dealer they scanned it, told me it was the Knock sensor they would have to replace it but they needed to order it from another store. they set me up in a rental a couple of days later they called me saying that they need the harness and that it was back order from korea. and that is where they took the longest. again i was in a 2018 Santa Fe rental with no complaints

·
Registered
60 Posts
With just over 25k on my 2017 limited. I would say......yes

I really enjoy driving my car, it feels nice and premium to me and I got a great deal on it new. Any and all issues have been handled free of charge by the dealer with no hassle ( So far just a dead battery and trunch latch wouldn't close randomly one night)

I hope to keep this car for 5-7 years......by then who knows but right now, I would buy it again in a heart beat. I also have great things to say regarding my wife's Elantra we just bought.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have a 2012 GLS with 160K on the engine, running strong. I had a 2017 Sport with got destroyed 2 weeks ago when I hit a deer. It had 85K and had never been in the shop except for a recall. Tomorrow I should be coming home with a 2019 SEL. I know the 2020's are out, but $3,500 in rebate is hard to pass up. The Sonatas have been the most trouble-free cars I've ever owned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I have a 2012 GLS with 160K on the engine, running strong. I had a 2017 Sport with got destroyed 2 weeks ago when I hit a deer. It had 85K and had never been in the shop except for a recall. Tomorrow I should be coming home with a 2019 SEL. I know the 2020's are out, but $3,500 in rebate is hard to pass up. The Sonatas have been the most trouble-free cars I've ever owned.
Yeah that’s what I got, with the tech package, MSRP about 26k, 4650 in rebates, had to finance through Hyundai, no trade in, 17,200 before taxes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here's what I would recommend.

Don't buy a turbo.
Only get a 2.4, not smaller displacement.
Use Sport Mode exclusively, transmission shift points are easier on engine.
Maintenance records should be available. Frequent good quality oil & filter change essential.
If you are going to drive the crap out of it, i.e., high revs & thrashing the engine, don't buy a Hyundai.
If you are not wanting high rev's, why sport mode? High revs are what makes the Sport Mode different...

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you are not wanting high rev's, why sport mode? High revs are what makes the Sport Mode different...
I wasn't referring the the higher revs associated with Sport Mode, I was referring to higher revs that can be obtained by manual shifting and also the excessive revs related to punching the throttle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
You can drive in Sport more without pushing the engine. Believe he just is just saying that Sport mode shifts at better points. I’m not sure if that is true. Do know they took Eco mode off the 18-19 cars because it’s shifts points we’re not great for the engine. Bogging it down with too much load at too low rpm.

·
Registered
'15 LF 2.0T Limited
27 Posts
I can get a new SEL for 17k. That’s 5-6k less than I can get a comparable Camry. With the engine issues I’m seeing, would you buy one? Does seem like Hyundai are standing behind their product.
My 2015 Hyundai sonata has been sitting at the dealership for four months waiting on the Turbo to be delivered to the US from a foreign country. Even though repairs are covered under lifetime warranty, and I have a rental car paid for by Hyundai, I personally do not enjoy waiting so long. This experience has solidified for me that I will not be buying another Hyundai vehicle, due to their lack of available supply chain avenues and long wait times on vehicle repairs.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata 2.4GDI Limited, Tech Package, 32,000 miles
1,063 Posts
My 2015 Hyundai sonata has been sitting at the dealership for four months waiting on the Turbo to be delivered to the US from a foreign country. Even though repairs are covered under lifetime warranty, and I have a rental car paid for by Hyundai, I personally do not enjoy waiting so long. This experience has solidified for me that I will not be buying another Hyundai vehicle, due to their lack of available supply chain avenues and long wait times on vehicle repairs.
I have my own bad feelings about Hyundai, but to be fair, a free rental car for 4++ months is good service. The other manufacturers also have supply problems, as do many industries. The core problem is "just-in-time" supply chain management and rebooting from Covid.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts