Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Not only "yes", but I did going from a 2011 to a 2015.

Want a small SUV that will fit in my garage but am having trouble parting with my Sonata.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm going to say ,no, and here's the reason.
I have owned 3 hyundai's. 2010 Santa Fe, 2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0 turbo, and the latest is the 2016 Sonata 2.4l. the first 2 I had good luck with, and I put 240,000 km on the Santa Fe with no real issues to speak of. I priced out different cars when looking at the 2016 and found for the money could not buy a better equipped car for the money in 2016. I live in Canada and a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord were far more expensive. I was very happy with the Sonata, good fuel consumption,( 7.2 l per 100km all hyway), comfortable heated leather seats, heated steering wheel and great ride. Around 70,000 km noticed the oil level on dipstick so low that I had to start topping up oil in between oil changes. Took it to Dealership, did a test, and was found it needed a liter every 3,600 km. Was told that was acceptable . I own my cars for 10yrs before getting a new one. My Sonata was the least expensive of the 3 I had mentioned, but is it a deal if it doesn't last? Your choice, but for me won't buy another Sonata.

·
Premium Member
'21 Limited, "18 Limited, "15 Limited
511 Posts
Yes, and here is why.

When needing to replace my 1990 Mazda 626LX (had to replace in 2011), a co-worker suggested the Sonata. I was extremely hesitant about buying a Hyundai. Saw a 2011 at a gas station one day and talked to the owner, they were quite happy with their car. So, I test drove one and liked it. I did an options and price comparison with the Sonata, Accord, Mazda 6, and the Camry. Of course, the Sonata came out on top. So I got a 2011 Sonata for myself, I liked it so much, I ended up getting a 2011 Sonata for my son and a 2013 Sonata for my wife.

My 2011 had 170,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. No major issues but at the end, a trip to SC and back made it clear that I had an oil burning issue (I did drive it really hard the years I had it).
My sons 2011, got totaled (guy on cell phone crossed double yellow and hit him, not head on thankful). Damage was enough to total the car. He had 133,500 miles, prior to the accident, I had to replace front axles, struts, (I guess he drove it like he stole it) and other normal mx stuff.
My wife's 2013 had almost 31,000 miles when I traded it in; not a single problem with it. She didn't want to feel left out so she wanted to upgrade.

Now I have a 2018, my wife has a 2015, and my son has a 2015, all Sonata Limited Editions. So, six (6) Sonata's so far, totaling approximately 459,000 miles and I can not complain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
At this point, I figure even if I have to do a bunch of extra repairs at 150,000+, I’ll still come out ok vs a Camry or Accord. The deal is amazing.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have had a 2009 , 2011, now the 2015. I would get another one based on my essentially no-trouble experience with them. However, I have also decided time to get AWD living in MN and also I have decided to go electric for my next vehicle, i don't drive to work and an EV will suit me just fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a friend with a 2017 Kia Optima and he had his serviced for the engine issue. They told him not to worry the engine is serviced and now has a liftetime warranty. I was like what??? I guess you're never getting rid of that car....he puts a lot of miles on it and it still rides like new with almost 90k miles on it.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,005 Posts
Yes, I will definitely consider another. Ive had no problems and my cost to purchase and cost of ownership has been 1/3 of what ive spent on my previous cars with similar features and driving characteristics.

The only problem I see is I usually get rid of my cars at 100,000 - 125,000 but with Hyundai now extending the engine (basically short block due to bearing failure) warranty to lifetime I'm leaning to keeping it and seeing how long it will go.

At this time when I decide to replace Im heavily leaning toward a Veloster Turbo or possibly "N" since Im solo 90% of the time in my car. But if the 2020 Sonata has an "N" version with 275 hp or more at the prices they have been compared to other cars in their class Id consider a Sonata again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Absolutely and I already have. I first purchased a 2008 Sonata, and now that it's getting a bit older I got a 2015 Limited 2.0T. Unfortunately it was totalled in an accident so I got a 2019 SEL with the tech package. They are fantastic, I've had very little issues and all of them were easily fixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Absolutely and I already have. I first purchased a 2008 Sonata, and now that it's getting a bit older I got a 2015 Limited 2.0T. Unfortunately it was totalled in an accident so I got a 2019 SEL with the tech package. They are fantastic, I've had very little issues and all of them were easily fixed.
Just put a deposit down on a 19 SEL with the tech. :) feel like it’s was definitely the best value for my needs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just put a deposit down on a 19 SEL with the tech. :) feel like it’s was definitely the best value for my needs.
Congratulations! The tech package adds a lot of great features that have saved me more than once in the time I've owned my 19 SEL. I would highly encourage you to read through the owner's manual to learn how all of the features work. You can adjust how a lot of the systems work from the screen in the instrument cluster and the manual will help explain the options so you can set it up exactly how you like it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
YES YES. Not ony do I like the Sonata Turbo I think Hyundai and my local dealer do a great job. First one was a 2013 Sonata Limited 2.0T. Traded it in (with 96K miles) on a 2015 Sonata Limited 2.0T. Hit a deer at 75mph on first trip and it was totaled and the car protected us. Then got a 2016 Sonata Limited 2.0T, now with 120K miles and no problems (still runs like new. Then purchased a 2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T for my wife (now has 40K miles). Being retired we drive a lot! Daughter just purchased a 2019 Sonata.

I very much recommend the Turbo as it has great low end power and top end when you need it. Notice much less downshifting on hills than the 2.4.

·
Registered
2019 Sonata Limited Luxury...1995 Skyline R33 GTR V-spec.
258 Posts
Yes, I have a 19' Sonata Limited, full load, 2.4l ,not a problem with it. I have owned a 2011 Elantra Touring sport, 2016 Sonata GLS, no problems with any of them! I want the new 2020, lol but wifey says Wait!!!!! Oh oh!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can get a new SEL for 17k. That’s 5-6k less than I can get a comparable Camry. With the engine issues I’m seeing, would you buy one? Does seem like Hyundai are standing behind their product.
I have owned 3 Hyundai vesicles. Currently have a 2015 Sonata that without any notice, the engine burned. Although the car was still under warranty, they have not reimbursed me for the new engine replacement that cost me $5,095. I put a reimbursement request in in beginning of September. Clearly they have had mechanical issue that occur right after the car hits 60K miles. I will never buy another Hyundai again. They DO NOT stand behind their manufacturing issues or their customers.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Clearly they have had mechanical issue that occur right after the car hits 60K miles. I will never buy another Hyundai again. They DO NOT stand behind their manufacturing issues or their customers.
You are coming here a bit late to make it easy on yourself...not going to a dealer and not increasing your oil change interval. Even with poor maintenance they would most likely have replaced your engine and given you a free loaner.
It's always sour grapes as this point. Mine (although an older version) has 60K+100K on it...so there is no particular burn-up point.

Reactions: MoonlightSonata08

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I may buy another Sonata in the future.
But right now I am in the market for a couple year old Gensis.
I have also looked at the Cadenza but I want to move away from FWD if I can.
FWD is far more difficult to service than RWD.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts