Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get a new SEL for 17k. That’s 5-6k less than I can get a comparable Camry. With the engine issues I’m seeing, would you buy one? Does seem like Hyundai are standing behind their product.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I'm a high-miler (with an original motor) and the 3rd owner...I would go for it if I was buying new. But I don't plan on winning the lottery, and I'm retired! :rolleyes:

Reactions: canomalo

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
In sig! Below

·
Registered
342 Posts
I like my 2015 Sonata 2.0T Ultimate just fine but there's been some ongoing, widespread problems like the heat shield that had to be installed for the turbo, the rattling panoramic sunroof, etc... Hyundai Canada also responded in a really nonsensical way when it came to the system upgrade to support AA/Carplay (announced as standard for the vehicle, then not included, then announced it wasn't possible due to the model of the head unit, then magically a software patch appears a year later, etc...) Add that on to the unimpressive city gas mileage and the inability of Hyundai vehicles to really retain much value over time and I just don't think so at this point. My car is fully paid off this month, I don't plan on trading it in at the moment but I plan on taking a good, hard look at the 2020 Honda CR-V Hybrid. AWD + projected to get twice the city gas mileage as my 2015 Sonata is pretty compelling as most of my driving in commuting to and from work. If the new Sonata Hybrid was available in AWD I might have considered it but I've had enough incidents in the last few years where AWD would have been extremely useful (we get regular snow here in Toronto) that I'm really starting to think AWD might be a must-have at this point.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Despite all the BS that surrounds the Theta II engine, I'd probably buy another Hyundai if I were in the market for a new car.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm on my third Hyundai, an XG and two Sonata's.... and I will probably buy a 2020 Sonata depending on when they come out and the price... since they will almost be 6 mos old when they get here and they depriciate the day you drive it off the lot, Then if the 2021's come out in Sep that is another depreciation in the value. it will all depend on how they handle this as to whether I buy one now or next year....

·
Registered
486 Posts
What is the catch can mod you have on your car? Does it help with any of the know issues?
Catch can removes oil from the crankcase re circulation system . It removes the suspended/volatilized oil particles that can flow through leaving that much less oil to get in the intercooler or burned in the combustion chamber. Their effectiveness typically increases with either abuse and/or higher mileage.

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0T (Mfg:11/09/17)
459 Posts
Catch can removes oil from the crankcase recirculation system. It removes the suspended/volatilized oil particles that can flow through leaving that much less oil to get in the intercooler or burned in the combustion chamber. Their effectiveness typically increases with either abuse and/or higher mileage.
Agreed as above. Theta II motors, like most gasoline direct injection (GDI), through design caveat, have a tendency to build up performance-robbing carbon on the back of the intake valves. An oil catch can (referred to as an OCC) separates the oil from the vacuum that's being sucked out through the PCV back into the intake, thereby decreasing the amount of oil entering the intake runners (and carbon being cooked onto the back of the valves).
And our turbo motors additionally benefit from the OCC because with fewer oil particles sucked back into the air intake means slightly lower turbine intake temperatures and cylinder fuel/air stability, and less oil coating the insides of the turbo's air cooler (allowing for a more-efficient air-to-air temp transfer ratio).
A lot of good OCC info and recommendations is available on this forum if you do an advanced search on "OCC".

As for the OP's question, "Would I buy another Sonata?", I would say whole-heartedly, "YES". I enjoy the European style, the double-takes, the firm ride, its dependability, and the long list of high-end options that come standard on this platform. After 2 years, I'm still finding neat things built into this vehicle. I'd say also, "Go for the Sonata over the Camry especially if all you're worried about is the motor." Issues for '17s and later are under control."

·
Registered
515 Posts
In a heartbeat. Waiting to see what the hype is all about with the 2020 Sonata N. I’d want something more powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would not buy 2019 Sonata because I had 2017 Sonata SE and over 30 k miles it started consuming motor oil (about 3/4 of quart towards end of 4000 miles).I was changing synthetic motor oil every 4000 miles and getting around 40MPG millage regularly on highways but did not like sounds of engine on startups in cold weather and when passing vehicles on highway full throttle engine sounded differently than my previous Toyota Camry's.Also motor oil got very dirty and very fast after each oil change compared to my Toyota 2015 Rav 4.I lost faith in their 2.4L motor so I traded it at 43k miles.I did not want to go thru potential motor issues because when I had 40 k miles trunk lock stopped working so I took it for repair but experience with Hyundai dealer about their policy was not friendly ( before they repaired, they made me sign work order if they find any issues/reason about trunk lock been abused warranty would not cover it, not very friendly policy for customer) . Besides that I did love everything else.Actualy I enjoed ride more than my previous Camry's. I will check out 2020 Sonata and see.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Limited 2.4L w/Tech & Ult Pkg's
399 Posts
I would if I was looking for one, 2020 model maybe. This is my 2nd Sonata and just like the 2015 model, it is Limited 2,4L, but with all the goodies. In 30 months got to 61K miles with about 60 to 70% on highways. Knock on the wood so far so good. So far changed transmission fluid twice, at 1K and 60K miles, brake fluid and coolant, synthetic engine oil every 7500 miles but from this point on every 5K, keeping both filters clean, regular maintenance. Thinking of adding the catch can. The 2020 model is interesting with the exception of the front grill on 2 upper models, WTF happened, like the bars style on lower models a lot better. Also the front of the new 2021 Kia Optima looks good but not sold on Kia yet (must be the red dashboard :) ). Who knows maybe even Hyundai Santa Fe Sport??

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I have been buying Hyundai’s since 2002! Sonatas and Santa Fe’s and to this date, nary a problem! Wife drives the 2014 S.F. and I drive a 2018 G80.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If looking for cheap transportation why not, but long term the Hyundai/Kia's with the DGI engines are junk. They finally are going to install another low pressure fuel injector whose main job is to keep the intake valve clean, about time. Speaking of the 2.4/2.0T, the original DGI engine structure is soft as to why the cylinders become "oval" and additional material is deposited throughout causing the "debris" issue as well as oil burning. Just look at all the engines they're replacing, the oil burners on the road, and the terrible resale value. Our 2.0T uses about a qt every 600 miles but runs great, rides like a truck, terrible fuel mileage, and overall leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I can get a new SEL for 17k. That’s 5-6k less than I can get a comparable Camry. With the engine issues I’m seeing, would you buy one? Does seem like Hyundai are standing behind their product.
Here's what I would recommend.

Don't buy a turbo.
Only get a 2.4, not smaller displacement.
Use Sport Mode exclusively, transmission shift points are easier on engine.
Maintenance records should be available. Frequent good quality oil & filter change essential.
If you are going to drive the crap out of it, i.e., high revs & thrashing the engine, don't buy a Hyundai.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
No matter what maintenace is down on the engine, it won't save the inevitable. If the engine is destined to commit suicide, it doesn't matter whether it's a 2.4 n/a or 2.0T, or any amount of maintenance, it will go. Have seen 2.4 with 7,000 miles go and engines with 190,000 let go, no rhyme nor reason.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata 2.4GDI Limited, Tech Package, 32,000 miles
1,063 Posts
Interesting time lapse graphic.
HERE

1 - 20 of 68 Posts