Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 2000 Sonata (2000-2006) and LX Sonata since 2006.
In view of the price of 17" tires $200+ each and the outrageous maintenance cost at 15K and 30K ... and the poor resale value .... I am debating whether I should look somewhere else - HONDA may be!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (bt06 @ Nov 13 2010, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371413
In view of the price of 17" tires $200+ each and the outrageous maintenance cost at 15K and 30K ... and the poor resale value .... I am debating whether I should look somewhere else - HONDA may be!
Low profile tires are pricy whether they are 17 inches, installed on a Hyundai or a Ford or anything else. Though you can buy cheap ones.

Buy another Hyundai??

No -- for a simple reason -- they discontinued the V6

PS. My LX has 35 K miles and somehow I missed the outrageous maintenance costs at 15 and 30K. What are you talking about?

I have changed the oil/filter about six times, the air filter once, and the antifreeze once, and the cabin air filter once a year -- all done by me and not at all expensive. Also, put a $60 Walmart battery in last summer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (kn5owa @ Nov 13 2010, 09:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371426
Low profile tires are pricy whether they are 17 inches, installed on a Hyundai or a Ford or anything else. Though you can buy cheap ones.

Buy another Hyundai??

PS. My LX has 35 K miles and somehow I missed the outrageous maintenance costs at 15 and 30K. What are you talking about?

I have changed the oil/filter about six times, the air filter once, and the antifreeze once, and the cabin air filter once a year -- all done by me and not at all expensive. Also, put a $60 Walmart battery in last summer.

Sonata Manual- pp:192-201 lists all that is required to maintain warranty!
The 15K is about $300 and the 30K is about $500 (to be repeated every 15 and 30K)

From the manual p:194

Service Requirements
To ensure that you receive the greatest number
of miles of satisfying operation from your Hyundai,
certain maintenance procedures must be per-
formed. Although careful design and engineer-
ing have reduced these to a minimum, those that
are required are of the utmost importance.
It is your responsibility to have these mainte-
nance procedures performed to comply with
the terms of the warranties covering your new
Hyundai. The Owner's Handbook supplied with
your new vehicle provides further information
about these warranties.

Maintenance Requirements
The maintenance required for your Hyundai
can be divided into three main areas:
o Specified scheduled procedures
o General checks

o Do-it-yourself maintenance

Just pray nothing expensive happen to the power train... because they can deny any claim for Warranty repairs... which means you no longer have a 10 yr power train warranty if you plan on keeping it that long!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Yeah, I would buy another Hyundai but probably not a Sonata... I don't care if it doesn't have the V6 or not anymore, but I'd get a Genesis or Tucson if they toss in the DI 2.0 turbo. I don't know what kind of tires you got, but $200 each? I hope you didn't get the same Michelins that came with it. Most of the "maintenance" the dealer does are inspections. They really only replace the oil/filer/air cabin. And everyone practically runs in the "severe" category, so they'll recommend that you'll get a bunch of fluids replaced much quicker. I don't think this is a Hyundai specific thing, its probably an industry practice. DIY maintenance is possible, just save the all the receipts to have a record of it.

·
Banned
873 Posts
i would buy another hyundai as well but only the new ones, i probably wont consider trading in for a hyundai thats about the same era as mine right now, my interior looks cheaper and uglier than a 2005 honda accord... and resale value hits me the most although with all my aftermarket mods included and some professional dslr pics by a photographer, i did list mine on craigslist for $14k(CAD) couple months ago just to see what i can get, and got about 4 offers in a month.. not bad not bad..

·
Registered
76 Posts
QUOTE (kn5owa @ Nov 13 2010, 09:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371426

Buy another Hyundai??

Isnt Turo that has 274 Horse not good enough?

I perosnally like the turbo better than the regular V6, because of the "WOOT Acceleration"

However the Resale value is horrible, so unless you are planning on riding the hyundai until it dies, i think its well worth it.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
**** yes! KC's got 115K and still runs well with just normal maintenance. I'm downsizing one class to a Forte, though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yes, I would definitely buy another Hyundai. This is my third and they have all been good cars. I replaced the original 17" Michelins this summer after putting 100,000 kms on them. I replaced them with Hankook Ventus V4 ES tires, purchased and installed at a local tire shop for $690CDN. Not a bad deal at all for great tires.

If you found the 15K and 30K services expensive I assume you just went to the dealer and opened up your wallet. I have done most of the maintenance on my Sonata myself and have found it very economical to operate. Don't expect a Honda to be any different in that regard.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (rallyman @ Nov 14 2010, 06:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371608
If you found the 15K and 30K services expensive I assume you just went to the dealer and opened up your wallet. I have done most of the maintenance on my Sonata myself and have found it very economical to operate. Don't expect a Honda to be any different in that regard.

Amen: handing the dealer your wallet/credit cards for these "Sunshine Special" service jobs *** won't enhance or substantiate your warranty somehow. You'll be lucky if any of the impt. maintenance is done at all.

*** Sunshine Special -- in-house term used by dealers -- You bring your car in for the "XXX" mile service, it sits in the sun all day, and when you pick it up, they tell you what fabulous shape it's in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would absolutely get another Hyundai. My wife has the 2006 Sonata (now with nearly 20k miles), I had a 2008 Sonata I leased for two years and when that was up ended up buying the 2010 Genesis. I have loved them all and they have been very reliable cars.

·
Registered
24 Posts
QUOTE (bt06 @ Nov 13 2010, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371413
We sold a 188k mile old 2002 Honda to buy a Sonata last year. Yes, we would consider buying another Hyundai for a commuter car, but used again, not new. The poor resale is great for buyer #2. Our was 3 years, 32k miles for 1/3 the cost of a new one, can't get a Honda for that kind of deal. But.....Ask me again after we get the airbag light situation fixed.

Well...I did buy an additional car this spring, a 3 thousand mile, 2 year old Miata, it's a fun ride, and has more leg room too. Cost 3x the Sonata though, paid almost the same as a new Miata, but couldn't stomach the comic book look of the front end on the new ones. Love hitting the button, watching the hard top hide itself, turn on the seat heaters, shift into 6th, and open air cruise in November. Ya gotta pay to play, I guess.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would consider buying another but it would not be a lock.

When I bought the car I knew it was not the top of line b/c of the price and the number of features compared to other brands in the same class.

The price did allow me to get a V6 with leather for about 3K less than Honda, Nissan etc...

But, was that worth it? As we plan to keep the car until it croaks, time will tell.

There are certain things I really hate about the car (paint quality, price of maint (not that would be different with other brands), tire/alignment issues etc).

Once again when we do replace it, I will evaluate all others on an even field and then decide. To blindly say 'yes' would be foolish when purchasing any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I Most definitely will purchase another Hyundai. I'm driving my 2nd Sonata in the last year. Im planning to hook this baby up for another 5 years and then selling it for whatever price is reasonable and use that amount on a down payment for the next Genesis or and Model that comes close. The only reason why i will stay with Hyundais is because of the Warranty. I had purchased an 04 Jaguar Xtype and the Warranty sucked BIG BAHLLS! I had to pay for almost everything and they would over price everything.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (Klute @ Nov 15 2010, 09:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371754
Once again when we do replace it, I will evaluate all others on an even field and then decide. To blindly say 'yes' would be foolish when purchasing any vehicle.
Not to mention the hassle of car shopping -- I went to a local Nissan dealer last week (Nissan still offers V6's) -- all the cars had a "dealer add-on" sticker of $600 for nitrogen in the tires and plastic stripes on the side.

I left.

The dealers in my area are more interested in word games and fraud than they are in moving cars off the lot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (rallyman @ Nov 14 2010, 06:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371608
Yes, I would definitely buy another Hyundai. This is my third and they have all been good cars. I replaced the original 17" Michelins this summer after putting 100,000 kms on them. I replaced them with Hankook Ventus V4 ES tires, purchased and installed at a local tire shop for $690CDN. Not a bad deal at all for great tires.

How do those tires compare to Michelin Originals so far?
I found Hankook VENTUS V4 es H105 Tire - 225/50ZR17W XL at Sears for $99 US each.

I only have 35K on mine but had 2 flat tires at the same time with nails, and no one wanted to plug /repair them because they were both too close to the the side, they say!
I ended up plugging one myself and left the other nail alone for the time being ( it has been a few months now and I keep adding about 2-3lb of air once a month to the tire with the nail!)

Is it OK to mix 2 Michelin with 2 Hankook?

·
Registered
505 Posts
QUOTE (kn5owa @ Nov 15 2010, 12:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371833
Not to mention the hassle of car shopping -- I went to a local Nissan dealer last week (Nissan still offers V6's) -- all the cars had a "dealer add-on" sticker of $600 for nitrogen in the tires and plastic stripes on the side.

I left.

The dealers in my area are more interested in word games and fraud than they are in moving cars off the lot.

Well, when we bought the Sonata in 07, it too had $750 in add on's...ALL the Hyundai's on the lot had the same charge. (Pinstripes, rubber over the wheel wells and some other junk)...I told them to subtract from the price before I would negotiate and they did. Now, they still made their money somewhere else, but that was not a deal breaker for them.

Same dealership sells Nissan, Suzuki & Isuzu and all other them have the $750 charge.

I actually enjoy shopping for cars. I just bullsh!t the salespeople as much as they do...If I don't like them or the price, there are LOTS of other dealers to work with.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
QUOTE (bt06 @ Nov 15 2010, 12:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371837
How do those tires compare to Michelin Originals so far?
I found Hankook VENTUS V4 es H105 Tire - 225/50ZR17W XL at Sears for $99 US each.

I only have 35K on mine but had 2 flat tires at the same time with nails, and no one wanted to plug /repair them because they were both too close to the the side, they say!
I ended up plugging one myself and left the other nail alone for the time being ( it has been a few months now and I keep adding about 2-3lb of air once a month to the tire with the nail!)

Is it OK to mix 2 Michelin with 2 Hankook?

Probably a little better than the Michelins... TireRack

You really shouldn't mix and match tires, but I say if you're not driving like an ****, it should be ok.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts