Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe there's an obvious difference between the two engines, but would the CAPA supercharger kit for the Alpha I fit the Alpha II? I would think that the blocks would be identical since the Alpha II appears to be a bored out Alpha I. It would be great if it bolts up since it's right there, ready to order sans engine management.

The kit:
http://www.capa.com.au/kits_hyundai.htm

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I do have to say that I favor superchargers over turbochargers just for the sound, although they're much more in depth to install.

All I know of is the .1 of a leter difference, but someone else on here would most likely know better. 

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
At that price, I would got with the KFX turbo kit + megasquirt + custom tune. You'll be in the same price range but with an engine that has a lot more potential than a supercharger. Plus with the supercharger kit, you'll still need a custom ECU tune as I doubt an ECU designed for the AlphaI will run the II's coilpacks and use a MAP.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, that's great news. At least Accent owners can add another power option to their list.

As for turbo kits, I know that KFX puts one out and some of the people on this forum look like they've fabricated their own. I know that they're more efficient since they're not having a parasitic effect on the engine and they're more upgradable, at least when compared against roots and twin scroll systems. I also know that ball bearing technology has reduced the lag complaint that earlier turbos suffered from.

Personally though, I'm leaning more toward supercharging. I don't want to attract too much attention (Yeah, good luck with my current intake and my future-planned exhaust), so I don't want the signature BOV sound every time I shift. I also obsess over smoothness, so any lag whatsoever would have me feeling off. Having more power everywhere in the rpm range would just feel "nice". Personal preference.

As for what needs to be done for the kit to work...So, if it bolts right up to the block, the only other things that have to be done would be to re-route the pipes on the left side of the engine to accommodate the belt and custom tune the ECU right? I mean aside from lower heat range sparks, bigger injectors, forged pistons, etc. I'm not sure how much the factory DLC pistons can take

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've been waiting for the Eaton TVSR900 to hit the market before I start seriously investigating a supercharger setup over a turbo one. Unfortunately, it seems like no manufacturer as decided to go with it just yet. The Mini's our best bet, but I think they've chosen the TC route for now.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (AccentSE_44 @ Dec 4 2010, 10:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377016
Man, that's great news. At least Accent owners can add another power option to their list.

As for turbo kits, I know that KFX puts one out and some of the people on this forum look like they've fabricated their own. I know that they're more efficient since they're not having a parasitic effect on the engine and they're more upgradable, at least when compared against roots and twin scroll systems. I also know that ball bearing technology has reduced the lag complaint that earlier turbos suffered from.

Personally though, I'm leaning more toward supercharging. I don't want to attract too much attention (Yeah, good luck with my current intake and my future-planned exhaust), so I don't want the signature BOV sound every time I shift. I also obsess over smoothness, so any lag whatsoever would have me feeling off. Having more power everywhere in the rpm range would just feel "nice". Personal preference.

As for what needs to be done for the kit to work...So, if it bolts right up to the block, the only other things that have to be done would be to re-route the pipes on the left side of the engine to accommodate the belt and custom tune the ECU right? I mean aside from lower heat range sparks, bigger injectors, forged pistons, etc. I'm not sure how much the factory DLC pistons can take

If you properly size the turbo to the engine, there is no lag. People whom complain about turbo lag usually have driven cars with a turbo that either did a lot of work (pushed a lot of PSI) or was too big for the engine. My 1.8t passat was spooled at 2500rpm with a small K03 at 9 psi but my old 1.6l turbodiesel spooled at 4000 rpm thanks to a uselessly big K24/T3 at 12 psi. It's all in the size of the turbo and intercooler piping. Keep things small and you won't feel any lag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts