Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have a base 2007 Sonata w/o an XM option on the radio. When I was buying the car I sat in a 2008 and I remember it had the XM option on the headunit. I REALLY want Xm/Sirius in my car because I'm tired of stupid radio stations.

So basically my question is...... Can I buy a 2008 HU with the XM option, whatever XM amp/receiver come with the 2008, and an XM antenna and keep the stock look/plug and play? Or should I just go the aftermarket route (via Crutchfield) and get some sort of shark fin to put up on the roof?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

·
1,914 Posts
At this point it's probably cheaper to buy an aftermarket set up. If I remember correctly, finding a cheap radio won't be a problem, but the antenna for the car is expensive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll be getting an aftermarket and hiding the Sat radio antenna with a shark fin. I know it's kind of a moot point (being that I'm getting a Sat), but is there any way to upgrade the stock AM/FM antenna? It flat out sucks and whenever I turn on the rear defroster it gets reaaally noisy.

Is there a cable coming from the rear glass that I could splice into and then just route an antenna extension to a shark fin? All the shark fins I found online have am/fm cables in them...so I thought maybe I could just use THAT as my am/fm antenna and completely just disconnect the stupid antenna part of the rear glass.

Lmk what you guys think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts