Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Santa Fe 4 cyl that is giving me a problem that I could use some advice on tracking down & fixing . First & most important is a code P0302 # 2 Cyl misfire . Could someone point me in the right direction to trouble shoot this problem down without spending a lot on replacing parts that isn't the problem . How do you check the ignition coil pack , injector ,& wire for this cylinder in home gradge with normal tools & meter . Is there a you tube displaying how to do this step by step ?
The other problem which I don't have the code for at this time is that some part of the exaust is not getting warm enough & this also put's the check engine light on . Will get back on this one when I solve the main problem Misfire
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check Cylinder 2 Plug wire first for damage, next inspect Spark Plug and replace/clean if needed. If not the coil pack could be bad. A sticky valve could be the culprit too but unlikely.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May be making progress , # 2 cyl doesn't have a plug wire , the coil pack bolts right onto top of plug hole & there is a spring in boot that makes contact with top of plug . When I removed the coil pack to check spark plug , lo & behold the plug well was full of oil , boot that fits over top of plug was soaked in oil . My question is - could this oil be causing the plug not to fire ? & will oil conduct the spark , thus shorting out the plug ?
Next question is - how is the oil getting into this spark plug well and what is involved in stopping it ?? Is it a large job that I need to have dealer repair or can I do it my self . I used to race cars so am pretty well equipped with tools . It can't be coming from spill as the rest of the top is quite dry . Got to be getting in from somewhere in the plug well but I can't see where by just looking in with light .
Any and all advice appreciated .

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replace the cam cover gasket set, as it is aged/baked and rubber not pliable anymore.

Clean up real well with brake cleaner, and try again..

Coils is periodic replacement item when the coil winding body burn and leave white/grey spot on the body showing where spark has been getting out.. typical tune is to replace the plugs and wire set, coils when needed (such as misfire 2 or 4)

·
Registered
66 Posts
i would replace the spark plugs. then, if no progress, you can swap the coils position. if the misfire code changes from 302 to 304, it could be the coil. for the oil leak, replace the valve cover gasket but make sure to clean all mating surfaces with thinner, mineral spirits , or gasoline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts