Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone notice / know the reasoning of why there is a delay when trying to 'floor it'?

Apparantly its noticed on a couple models including the elantras....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Delay as in... If your completely stopped and you 'floor it' the car begins pulling away slowly and then finally gets the brawn behind it to get some speed.

Any other cars I've driven, as soon as you 'floor it' (WOT) the car goes.

I can't even get the tires to chirp with this car..... ever.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
QUOTE (lv_3600 @ Aug 1 2010, 11:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346597
Delay as in... If your completely stopped and you 'floor it' the car begins pulling away slowly and then finally gets the brawn behind it to get some speed.

Any other cars I've driven, as soon as you 'floor it' (WOT) the car goes.

I can't even get the tires to chirp with this car..... ever.
I get no chirp either:(

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
LV, ausom, are yours automatic? Thats why. This car has no power at all at low RPM's.

At autocross I launch at 2-3k rpm and I have no problem getting a little chirp from the tires, and often get a chirp when shifting to 2nd. Mind you this is not dumping the clutch either, its a pretty smooth launch.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't even get that response launching at 3K rpm. The car gradually starts moving, and then gets some muscle into it.

If the MT can do it and the AT can't... Is it something programmed into the car? Can this be fixed? :(

·
1,565 Posts
I know if I hit the gas and let it go real fast my foot will be off the pedal for what seems like a bit before the engine rev's.

Don't most newer (non-sports) cars have some sort of throttle delay built in as sort of an idiot buffer?

·
Registered
54 Posts
QUOTE (ultragod @ Aug 4 2010, 04:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347148
I know if I hit the gas and let it go real fast my foot will be off the pedal for what seems like a bit before the engine rev's.

Don't most newer (non-sports) cars have some sort of throttle delay built in as sort of an idiot buffer?

My other car, 2007 xterra 4x4 with 4.0 engine has the wide open throttle restriction by default. it is there to meet CAFE standards regarding fuel enconomy and also for saftey. I guess they think people would be doing burnouts with those 265 horsies. ;-)

there is a way to disable that on the xterra but you have to buy a programmer.

as far as you guys, autos on 110 hp engines won't let you peel out etc. with a manual you can because you can rev high then dump/release clutch quikcer than normal, to squeal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2010 Accent M/T and I can burnout.. sometimes. It can be WICKED hard with dry pavement, but I have managed to do it without dropping the clutch at high RPM's (though that's how I usually do it). I notice it's rough but if you crank it you can usually get it to peel out. I've done it in second gear if I'm around 2.5K and I kick it I can usually start drifting and sliding if it's wet or dirt. Otherwise yeah, it seems like some sort of delay was programmed to prevent it, because building up a high amount of RPM's in a matter of miliseconds should be possible in first gear.. oh well little 110HP engine.. oh well..

A/T just suck. ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used to drive a 1986 VW Golf way back when. It had a 1.8l 4-cyl engine with a 3 speed automatic. The only way I could get a squealy from a dead stop was to hold the brake down while I rev'ed the engine to 2-3k RPM and then let go of the brake. This is a terrible strain on a small auto tranny but it will give you a squealy or a "chirp" as you call it. Don't worry about the lack of chirps. If your tires are squealing that means they are slipping and that's wasted energy. The energy coming from your engine should be used to propel you - not power a rubber sound system. Just my two cents...

-- Boris

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I could peel out so easily in this little car.  Before I got my new tires, I was playing with that just to bald the old ones.  Also I find it really easy to cherp the tires going from 1st to 2nd, but I'm yet to get them to cherp from 2nd to 3rd.  Tried once, but didn't get it.  I never bothered to try a second time.

Something that ties in with the thing that started this topic. (Delay with the throttle)  I did notice like an entire 2 second delay of accelleration when I dropped into 3rd from 5th.  The RPMs shot up on time, but the spedomater took a while to start to move at all.  I was going about 50MPH, but I'm sure it would happen at any speed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts