Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the one thing my 13 Limited didn't come with for reasons I don't know is the Home Link rear view mirror. There were other Limited Elantras but not with the exterior and interior color the one I bought came with. Anyway, it's driving me crazy not having it because in a sense I feel jipped, because I swear every other Elantra I see, has this mirror. Not to mention I really like the features of having the garage opener(I have two car garage), and the auto dimming feature. Very nice features.

Well I'm thinking about going in there and trying to work out a good deal on one. I bought my car less than two months ago and my sister, who I referred to the same dealer just bought a 2013 Tucson Limited last night. I'm going to try and see if they can help me out and get one for a good price. Am I crazy with this thinking and I shouldn't bother, or is it worth a shot? I know most people will say who cares, it's just a mirror. But, I really would utilize the features and I feel like I have I'm missing the last percent to complete the "Limited" version of my Elantra. I absolutely love my Elantra and since I spent extra for the Limited, I want to feel like I got everything :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
I think the Homelink / Auto Dimming mirror is a dealer addon and not part of the "Limited" Packaged as my Limited did not come with one also. I dont need the Homelink but do like the auto dimming function. I would like to know if it is a simple bolt-on or do wires need to be spliced?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Yes these can be added. Its about a 45 minute DIY install that involves running wires back to the interior fuse panel. I got a used auto dimming mirror (not home link) from eBay off a F150 for really cheap. If you want new the manufacturer is Gentex and they cost from $80 and up with various options. The home link versions start around $150 last I checked.

·
22,793 Posts
Have the Homelink! I never realized just how great that auto-dimming feature was. I'll have one in all future vehicles. Of that, you can be assured. It'll be nice when we get into the new house and I can program the mirror to the new door. We have a door opener here, I just don't see any sense messing with it since I have the remote clipped to the visor. But "watch out" in a few months! I'm gonna be "liv'n large!" :grin:

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
The Homelink mirror is definitely nice including the garage opener feature. It is very simple to set. Merely hold the two outside buttons down until the codes and clear and the hold up the garage remote to the one button desired, press both buttons until the lights change frequency and it is programed. Piece of cake.

I wouldn't mind having it for my Elantra either as my Sonata has it as did my Santa Fe. Very handy and desirable.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The Homelink mirror is definitely nice including the garage opener feature. It is very simple to set. Merely hold the two outside buttons down until the codes and clear and the hold up the garage remote to the one button desired, press both buttons until the lights change frequency and it is programed. Piece of cake.
It's not quite so simple when you have a rolling code garage door opener like I do but even then, it's still totally worth it. I love the auto dimming and the Homelink although I can't say that I really pay much attention to the compass anymore. I live here. I know which way north is.

·
22,793 Posts
LMAO. Yes siree. Got the N-E-S-W thing figured out early childhood. Have a son, when in grade school used "Never Eat Shredded Wheat" to remember the 4 basic points on the compass. The trouble was, whichever way he was looking he called "North." That was interesting... ;)

I'm like Andrew, I pretty much have it figured out when traveling in a different city. Not only don't need a compass around this region, I don't really need GPS.

Quick lesson, kids: most cities have their "even" house numbers on the East and South sides of the street. "Odd" numbers are on the West and the North. Some cities might do it the other way around, but you get the idea. Makes life a little simpler. And I'm all about simpler! ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
LMAO. Yes siree. Got the N-E-S-W thing figured out early childhood. Have a son, when in grade school used "Never Eat Shredded Wheat" to remember the 4 basic points on the compass. The trouble was, whichever way he was looking he called "North." That was interesting... ;)

I'm like Andrew, I pretty much have it figured out when traveling in a different city. Not only don't need a compass around this region, I don't really need GPS.

Quick lesson, kids: most cities have their "even" house numbers on the East and South sides of the street. "Odd" numbers are on the West and the North. Some cities might do it the other way around, but you get the idea. Makes life a little simpler. And I'm all about simpler! ;)
Having grown up in Abilene TX, I admit I'm forever handicapped by the imprint engrained in my brain that every city is a N-E-S-W grid - which Abilene is. Here in Hendersonville TN (...and Nashville), there's several streets that blow my mind by hitting all points of the compass. What were they THINKING!?

OkieRich, my house so happens to be on the south side of my street...but is an odd number. However, the layout of this town here pretty much makes any conventions in street numbering with regard to the compass...impossible.

The compass in the mirror? Nice little touch, but I've rarely even noticed/used it in any of the vehicles I've had one in. A compass...and GPS...and radar...and charts...and sonar depth finder - were a necessity when I was captaining the 34' Pacemaker Flybridge Sedan I finally liberated myself of back in January (do ya know what B.O.A.T. stands for?). In a car though? I think they did that because people used to mod their cars with one (like my Dad did back in the '60s). Kinda falls in line with being "in command" of your intended destination...and having a clock too, which cars ALSO didn't used to have.

My favorite feature of that fancy mirror in question is the auto dimming. My Elantra Limited didn't come with that either. My Azzie had it, as well as my current pickup.

The Homelink was also on the Azzie and I wanted to use it, but never set it up. Homelink isn't just for garage door openers. It comes with more than one button on the mirror so you can program it to modules for your house lights, etc. Radio Shack used to sell them and might still.

The auto-dimming is great. The Homelink certainly can be useful. Having a mirror with those features is definitely a benefit.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just do what I did: go on eBay, buy a Homelink mirror, and install it yourself. It has been a year andf a half, but I think I paid about $80 for it. Fit perfect and quite easy to install, run wires, and hook up. Piece of cake and you will save lots of $$$!

·
Registered
261 Posts
In Canada, it's standard on Limited model. Limited with Nav has the compass on the nav screen, not in mirror. Don't use the Homelink, but love the auto-dimming mirror.

·
Registered
808 Posts
In Canada, it's standard on Limited model. Limited with Nav has the compass on the nav screen, not in mirror. Don't use the Homelink, but love the auto-dimming mirror.
Ok, I know this is a dumb question but.... I have a homelink mirror in the Tucson, it does not have a compass though:( Does it have the auto dimming feature?....how do i tell?

·
Registered
261 Posts
In addition to the 3 homelink buttons, the mirror will also have a green power light, a sensor and a on/off switch.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I added the homelink mirror to my Elantra and am glad I did. I did it mainly to elimiate the clip on garage door remote but have come to really enjoy the self dimming feature. On the rainy, overcast days or just nights in a new location, I like the compass feature.

I found mine as a complete sealed factory kit with harness, wire ties, foam wrap, "A" pilar clip, etc and installation instructions packaged specifically for the Elantra. Seller was at BIN $125 at the time, I offered 110 and he bit!

Rich, in both my old town and my current one, even numbered homes were on the North and West sides of the streets. I have found that I can't rely on that trick, especially where I am somewhere new.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
Ok, I know this is a dumb question but.... I have a homelink mirror in the Tucson, it does not have a compass though:( Does it have the auto dimming feature?....how do i tell?
I was misinformed. I had been told that the compass on the mirror was in the 2013 Tucson. My 2012 Tucson didn't have it and it was a constant source of aggravation. Trying to see the tiny compass on the small screen was annoying to say the least. It should have the auto dimming feature. What does your window sticker say?

·
22,793 Posts
Yep, gotta have homelink. The garage door clicker breaks up the feng shui of the cabin, lol. Oh, and no dead clicker battery when you pull up and it's raining.
Excellent points. Hadn't thought about the feng shui effect, LOL...I'll live with a little less feng shui for a couple of months. Then I'll get her programmed to the new opener and be "cabin compliant!" ;)
I can tell on mine by the "greenish hue" reflection of the headlights in the rear glass. That's how I know it's working.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts