Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This by far is the worst new SUV /car we have ever bought in the last ten years. They like to toot their horn - Hyundai about being on par with the other car companies. Car reviews are also on their side but remember it is all new. We seem like we are always at the dealership with different issues and customer service is none existent - at Hyundai Canada. I am Not going to go on and on with all me beefs as to bore all you people that are happy or have had good luck with your Hyundai. But maybe people have never driven the competition based on price like we did? But to be fair we did drive most of the others,loved the design and price of the Santa fe .Also to be fair they probably make one of the best cheaper priced cars, maybe higher end cars :)all new to them.Remember Lexus a few years ago,not even a player. My big concern is I thought the warranty was 5 year bumper to bumper, but all the electrics is only 3 year here in CA . I am not going to argue this topic, this is just my thoughts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yea when I read the warranty book I was surprised on what wasn't covered under there 6 year "bumper to bumper" warranty... Ac charge was only covered for a year, wtf if it leaks out there's a problem.. I am hoping ours is reliable, I'm sorry yours seems to be a lemon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This by far is the worst new SUV /car we have ever bought in the last ten years. They like to toot their horn - Hyundai about being on par with the other car companies. Car reviews are also on their side but remember it is all new. We seem like we are always at the dealership with different issues and customer service is none existent - at Hyundai Canada. I am Not going to go on and on with all me beefs as to bore all you people that are happy or have had good luck with your Hyundai. But maybe people have never driven the competition based on price like we did? But to be fair we did drive most of the others,loved the design and price of the Santa fe .Also to be fair they probably make one of the best cheaper priced cars, maybe higher end cars :)all new to them.Remember Lexus a few years ago,not even a player. My big concern is I thought the warranty was 5 year bumper to bumper, but all the electrics is only 3 year here in CA . I am not going to argue this topic, this is just my thoughts

Can you expand on what problems your having exactly? It does not work to simply say "worst car ever" and then not give valid reasoning why. How can you say "worst new" and "best cheaper car" in the same context? Simply having problems with customer service does not translate to poor product. I had terrible customer service, but I still love the car.

Do go on about your beefs, thats what these forums are for. If you are having trouble with your car we want to hear about it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There are 3 problems that I with mine actually make that 6 because it has to back to the dealer to have all fixed again.

1.... The dash has to be taken again to be properly fixed this time....maybe.

2....The rear end has to fixed again due to the squeaking when going over bumps.

3.....The cup holders in the rear arm rest constantly rattle....still

The vehicle is great on a very smooth road.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Badbird, since you have to know we have been to the dealer 11 times with our new car !!! Bought June-1st .once was the most expensive oil change I Have ever paid for - Hyundai CDN offers the lowest mileage oil intervals of all the car companies even Kia? Plus- Synthetic oil changes have the same oil interval warranty as Dino oil here in CND? Problems we have had A/C /fan problems, rear end clucks(still on bumpy roads) a navigation issue and remote starter issues that are on going The dealer has been great, Hyundai CDN Sucks- no info or return phone calls ( they live in LALA land-no issues ,NO problems? ) Now my 2011 ford F150 has been to the dealer 3 times , only for an oil changes- with not one problem. Plus I get free touch less car washers when I pick it up? Maybe you like hanging out at a dealership ,but my time is worth money.(plus having to listen to me wife) I remember when Hyundai first showed up here in Canada, sorry I can not remember the car -but they always caught fire! Plus I remember the Japanese cars that all rusted out (showing my age)
Hyundai have come along way in the last 20 years ! Sorry but we have been spoiled with Ford products for the last ten years( thanks probably to the Japanese) . I do believe and have read Toyota thinks their biggest threat in the future is going to be Hyundai.Right now ,my thoughts- Sorry close but no cigars

Cheers have a Merry Xmas

·
Registered
89 Posts
Opposite experience with a Korean built Santa Fe. Dealer very helpful, relatively cheap fixed price annual services, 5 year warranty bumper to bumper, 7 years free roadside assist. Lots to like, no quality issues at all and the dealer was quick to assist when I wanted the steering angle sensor adjusted. Sounds like quality control is the issue with the dealers and the plant supplying Canada.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Besides the remote starter (accessory), my XL has been great so far. I had more problems with my 2009 Highlander (toyota ) in my first 8 months of ownership than I have had with my XL.

Ultimately, people have different experiences with different cars, and even owners of some of the most expensive "luxury" brands will claim that they spend more time at the dealer than they car to for the $ they forked out.

Also, even the most reputable and dependable models of vehicles have their lemons. Who knows why, it just happens. And it sounds to me like you just got the short end of the stick with somewhat of a lemon XL.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The remote start was a slight issue, not really in the workings but the design. Other than the oil changes, I had a problem with the chrome window belt mouldings on the car were discolored. Just 3 and the replaced all 4 and the rear quarter glasses because the moulding is part of the window. I have had no issues otherwise whatsoever and the dealer is spectacular so far!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have been pleased with my Santa Fe Limited, and have not experienced any significant problems (no more than I have experienced with any other car I have ever bought). I think it looks good (I've gotten lots of compliments), drives good (also lots of compliments), great sound system (the Infinity system is one of the best I have ever experienced as an OEM), great nav system, comfortable seats, and plenty of room. Overall, one of the best vehicles I have ever owned.

I really only have 2 issues. First, the stock wipers are not good. Even after replacing with better wipers, still not good. Some design flaw I believe. I have posted about that in a separate thread. Second, I have noticed that on rare occasions when going over a bump, the rear end seems to bottom out (perhaps this is the rear end "clucks" you are referring to). I have had the car coming up on 6 months, and it has probably happened a couple of times. It is jarring when it happens, but it happens so infrequently, that it is not a major issue to me. You mentioned a ac fan issue. I also noticed that, but it was a known issue and a warranty fix. They took care of it when they did the first oil change. I also had the Nav system freeze up once or twice in 6 months, but every piece of electronics I own freezes up now and then, so I don't sweat that.

It is unfortunate that you have had problems with yours, and good luck getting everything addressed.

·
Registered
756 Posts
4000 miles of good so far.
I have experienced both fan stop and screen freeze. Both fixed with engine restart.

The only complain I have is on the painting. I posted already about the first chip and agreed that must have been something hitting the trunk... ok, fixed it myself.
I see two more small chips now, one in the front bonnet one on the rear bumper. I do not believe in someone hitting my car for fun anymore. I am not fixing the last chip and will show it to the dealer.
My previous 2007 SF was perfect for 4 years, I cannot believe the Hyundai is saving on paint quality. But that still has to be proved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wouldn't call this our worst vehicle ever, but we are definitely disappointed. Ours has been back to the dealer 4 times and will make its 5th trip next week, FYI - we took delivery Sept. 30th. The roof rack crossbars were rattling, but the dealer thought it was the emergency brake cable, so they tightened that. Apparently the cable was extremely loose compared to the other LWB's they had on the lot. Hyundai then issued a TSB on the cross bars, so that was taken care of. Now the rear hatch keeps "unlatching itself". It doesn't open but comes "loose", still technically latched but not completely closed. Time will tell what they come up with on that. Luckily our dealer has been very good. But we are definitely disappointed. And couple that with the fact that we really wanted a Limited w/gray interior in any color but black or white and there wasn't one within a 500 mile radius and add us to the list of remote start fiascos. Hopefully these things will be outweighed by positives in the future because we still think the LWB is the most refined, nice looking vehicle in its class. Sorry, I didn't mean to vent!:eek:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Besides the remote starter (accessory), my XL has been great so far. I had more problems with my 2009 Highlander (toyota ) in my first 8 months of ownership than I have had with my XL.

Ultimately, people have different experiences with different cars, and even owners of some of the most expensive "luxury" brands will claim that they spend more time at the dealer than they car to for the $ they forked out.

Also, even the most reputable and dependable models of vehicles have their lemons. Who knows why, it just happens. And it sounds to me like you just got the short end of the stick with somewhat of a lemon XL.
Well, I just looked through the latest revision of Consumer Reports. The Highlander kills the Santa Fe in long term reliability. The Santa Fe gets full black-marks (Much Worse Than Average) in the categories of 'Squeaks and Rattles.... and Body Hardware" which pretty much aligns with what I am reading by many in this forum.... (dash rattles, squeaky cup holders, creaking rear cargo covers, etc).

I am wondering if by your own statement above, if you just 'happened' to be the one that got an unusually trouble prone Highlander??

Consumer Reports lists their findings by ACTUAL OWNERS who subscribe to their magazine which amounts to tens of thousands of auto questionaires filled out on almost all makes of cars.

It is also noteworthy to see that when questioned, "Would you buy this car again?" the owners of the Toyota Highlander overwhelmingly say yes over owners of Hyundai Santa Fe's...... which I just discovered after checking into it.

I have filled out these questionaires myself on many models I've owned and I have to tell you - their accumulated data is dead accurate on which areas of any auto tend to exhibit trouble for consumers....

For instance: One of my best cars was a 1987 Honda Accord LX.... which I bought new. It was a rock solid auto - quality throughout.... The one trouble spot I had was brake rotors warping. Had to have my rotors turned or replaced at least once a year. Guess what? When I looked up my model year in Consumer Reports - it had all 'Much Better Than Average" marks for all vehicle components except for one "Much Worse Than Average" mark..... guess where? Yep..... brakes.

They have it down.

I am going to ditch my annoying Chevy Equinox in the Spring... and if the 2014 Toyota Highlander re-design is as good or better than the 2013 I rode tested a few weeks ago.... I'll be sitting pretty in one. The 2013 I drove was much quieter and had far better driving characteristics and comfort in my opinion than the Santa Fe.... but I will give them a second comparison before making the final decision as the Highlander does cost more. If my impressions remain the same.... I will gladly pay another $4k more so I don't end up with another regrettable vehicle like my Chevy NOX.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Well, I just looked through the latest revision of Consumer Reports. The Highlander kills the Santa Fe in long term reliability. The Santa Fe gets full black-marks (Much Worse Than Average) in the categories of 'Squeaks and Rattles.... and Body Hardware" which pretty much aligns with what I am reading by many in this forum.... (dash rattles, squeaky cup holders, creaking rear cargo covers, etc).

I am wondering if by your own statement above, if you just 'happened' to be the one that got an unusually trouble prone Highlander??

Consumer Reports lists their findings by ACTUAL OWNERS who subscribe to their magazine which amounts to tens of thousands of auto questionaires filled out on almost all makes of cars.

It is also noteworthy to see that when questioned, "Would you buy this car again?" the owners of the Toyota Highlander overwhelmingly say yes over owners of Hyundai Santa Fe's...... which I just discovered after checking into it.

I have filled out these questionaires myself on many models I've owned and I have to tell you - their accumulated data is dead accurate on which areas of any auto tend to exhibit trouble for consumers....

For instance: One of my best cars was a 1987 Honda Accord LX.... which I bought new. It was a rock solid auto - quality throughout.... The one trouble spot I had was brake rotors warping. Had to have my rotors turned or replaced at least once a year. Guess what? When I looked up my model year in Consumer Reports - it had all 'Much Better Than Average" marks for all vehicle components except for one "Much Worse Than Average" mark..... guess where? Yep..... brakes.

They have it down.

I am going to ditch my annoying Chevy Equinox in the Spring... and if the 2014 Toyota Highlander re-design is as good or better than the 2013 I rode tested a few weeks ago.... I'll be sitting pretty in one. The 2013 I drove was much quieter and had far better driving characteristics and comfort in my opinion than the Santa Fe.... but I will give them a second comparison before making the final decision as the Highlander does cost more. If my impressions remain the same.... I will gladly pay another $4k more so I don't end up with another regrettable vehicle like my Chevy NOX.
OMG...again?....

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/277-d...2013-santa-fe-lwb-driving-impressions-10.html

With all due respect, why is it you feel the need add your 2 cents only when you see an opportunity to critisize this vehicle? I am all for opinions, but again...you keep saying the same thing over and over again....anything to shoot down this vehicle, and yet you don't own it.

Consumer reports...how many responders? What years? Personally, I have never given much credance to anything CR puts out.

Highlander...give me a break. i was on those forums for 4 years and there were MANY people with MANY more issues than I have seen here. Squeaking? What about a dash tick from day one, that was consistent with 2008 and 2009 MY...soooo many reported it long before I had my HL. Mine had to have the ENTIRE dash tore apart to find it. Then, it was good for 4 months, then back. So, had that annoying tick for almost 4 years of ownership...and no, it was not just mine. I had to have clips replaced to eliminate rattles..and not just mine. I had to put duct tape between the hatch frame and the panels around the window to prevent rattling when going over bumps. Failed hatch struts after a couple of years...many complained of this. Clunking hatch...no, not just mine. How about the nasty HVAC system? Smelled god awful after AC was off. New evaporator core was short term fix. MANY reported this. How about the cheap oil line that was prone to burst in the 2008 and some 2009? How about some forum members that sold their HLs after only a year or so of ownership because they had had enough with all the problems the experienced? And there are more...much more than what's been reported here. Funny you neglect to mention these issues. But of course, you only go by what is in Consumer reports, 'cause it is the be all and end all...never mind reading forums where people who actually pay attention to their vehicles take the time to post.

Is the SF perfect? Nope. I dare you to fine ANY vehicle that is. ALL have their problems, some more than others.

Sorry, if i seem a little ticked, but I am. Again, it seems to me you only appear on these forums when you see an opportunity to shoot down the Hyundai. If you actually owned a SF, I would accept your comments. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt on the other thread posted above, but you're making it very difficult for me not to agree with some of those other posters that refer to you as a troll.

·
Registered
2 Posts
True

After using this car and buying it from #WallanHyundai KSA, I feel cheated.

The price they charge is twice the cost of USA and with less features.

Not at all comfortable. My Old ford was more comfortable and powerful

·
Registered
244 Posts

Hello Nadeem149,

There is another member here that purchased the Grand SF in Saudi Arabia as well,
yellowtechie .

Did you get the 3.3L engine?

·
Registered
237 Posts

I hope you mean you feel cheated in the philosophical sense, and not the literal sense. The prices and features of all vehicles vary from country to country, based on many different factors. The manufacturer, not the dealer, sets the full retail price. Do you truly believe that your dealer cheated you (i.e. did something unethical or illegal), or do you just feel that the pricing established by Hyundai for Saudi Arabia is unfair. Two completely different arguments.

·
Registered
756 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Did you test drive the car before buying it?
What ford/model/engine are you comparing to?

Features and price is something you should have know upfront when buying it. Comfort I understand could be a surprise/disappointment in the long run. I suggest adjusting your seat again. It has so many settings you may end up with an uncomfortable configuration...
Personally I and my wife find it very comfortable.

·
Banned
532 Posts
I wouldn't call this our worst vehicle ever, but we are definitely disappointed. Ours has been back to the dealer 4 times and will make its 5th trip next week, FYI - we took delivery Sept. 30th. The roof rack crossbars were rattling, but the dealer thought it was the emergency brake cable, so they tightened that. Apparently the cable was extremely loose compared to the other LWB's they had on the lot. Hyundai then issued a TSB on the cross bars, so that was taken care of. Now the rear hatch keeps "unlatching itself". It doesn't open but comes "loose", still technically latched but not completely closed. Time will tell what they come up with on that. Luckily our dealer has been very good. But we are definitely disappointed. And couple that with the fact that we really wanted a Limited w/gray interior in any color but black or white and there wasn't one within a 500 mile radius and add us to the list of remote start fiascos. Hopefully these things will be outweighed by positives in the future because we still think the LWB is the most refined, nice looking vehicle in its class. Sorry, I didn't mean to vent!:eek:

There's two slotted rubber bumpers about 7/8" long on the lower edge of the hatch on each corner, screw them in less pressure on the closing end, loosen and more pressure making it harder to close. If you try this simple fix like many of us have on SFS's it takes care of the issue. I'd move them 1/4-1/3 turns out, like loosening a screw until you get a solid close and I think you'll be happy.

·
Registered
870 Posts
There's two slotted rubber bumpers about 7/8" long on the lower edge of the hatch on each corner, screw them in less pressure on the closing end, loosen and more pressure making it harder to close. If you try this simple fix like many of us have on SFS's it takes care of the issue. I'd move them 1/4-1/3 turns out, like loosening a screw until you get a solid close and I think you'll be happy.
I was about to tell him to try that :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts