Hyundai Forums banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
I am thinking if I can find the connector/plug at the output of the flashser, I can unplug, open the circuit and start tracing continuity to bulbs and find where the break is
Mike
I'd suggest you start by identifying the turn signal wires on connector EM02 (large 23 way yellow connector behind the dashboard on the driver's side).

Switch the hazard lights on and see if there is power reaching that connector. If so you know the circuit is good from the flasher relay upto that connector, meaning the problem is likely to be out in the engine bay.

EM02 pinout shown below. According to the diagram the turn signal wires are on terminals 7 & 8.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd suggest you start by identifying the turn signal wires on connector EM02 (large 23 way yellow connector behind the dashboard on the driver's side).

Switch the hazard lights on and see if there is power reaching that connector. If so you know the circuit is good from the flasher relay upto that connector, meaning the problem is likely to be out in the engine bay.

EM02 pinout shown below. According to the diagram the turn signal wires are on terminals 7 & 8.

I disconnected the yellow connector EM02
I measured voltage on pins 6,7 and 8 under different stalk switch conditions
Switch at left turn: pin 6 alternating 12 v, 7 & 8 0 V Fast left dash light flash
Switch at right turn: 0 v on all pins (678) Fast right dash flash
Hazard switch on: 0 v on all pins Fast right dash flash (no left)
Hazard on with left turn stalk: Pin 6 alternating 12v, 0v on 7 & 8. Both dash lights flash slowly
Hazard on switch with right turn stalk: 0 v on all pins Fast right dash

is the problem the stalk switch or the hazard switch?

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
I disconnected the yellow connector EM02
I measured voltage on pins 6,7 and 8 under different stalk switch conditions
If you have disconnected the connector you need to be sure your measuring the voltage on the correct side. The diagram shows the power supply is on the female side of the connector. Is that the side you were probing with your meter?

Switch at left turn: pin 6 alternating 12 v, 7 & 8 0 V Fast left dash light flash
That's interesting. The turn signal circuit isn't connected to pin 6 of EM02, according to the diagram.

Hazard switch on: 0 v on all pins Fast right dash flash (no left)
Interesting too that the left tell tail (dash warning light) isn't working when the hazard lights are on.
Did you look to see if the left turn signal on the rear of the car was working? I'm guessing not since the flash rate was fast.
If the rear left turn signal isn't working when the hazard lights are on that is pointing to a fault with the hazard switch.
But that can't be the cause of the front lamps not working, which I think should be pretty clear from the diagram.

is the problem the stalk switch or the hazard switch?
The problem with the front lamps can't be caused by a fault within either switch.
But you seem to have stumbled across fault within the hazard switch that is unrelated to the problem with the front lamps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have disconnected the connector you need to be sure your measuring the voltage on the correct side. The diagram shows the power supply is on the female side of the connector. Is that the side you were probing with your meter?

That's interesting. The turn signal circuit isn't connected to pin 6 of EM02, according to the diagram.

Interesting too that the left tell tail (dash warning light) isn't working when the hazard lights are on.
Did you look to see if the left turn signal on the rear of the car was working? I'm guessing not since the flash rate was fast.
If the rear left turn signal isn't working when the hazard lights are on that is pointing to a fault with the hazard switch.
But that can't be the cause of the front lamps not working, which I think should be pretty clear from the diagram.

The problem with the front lamps can't be caused by a fault within either switch.
But you seem to have stumbled across fault within the hazard switch that is unrelated to the problem with the front lamps.
I am measuring on the female side of the connector. Maybe I got the pins wrong. When looking at the EM02 connector drawing, is the female side the top or bottom part of the drawing?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am measuring on the female side of the connector. Maybe I got the pins wrong. When looking at the EM02 connector drawing, is the female side the top or bottom part of the drawing?

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Sorry, I should have said that the upper pinout if the female side of the connector and the lower one is the male.

On Hyundai diagrams male connector drawings have the terminals numbered from left to right,
the female side of the connectors have the terminals numbered from right to left.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts

Pin 5 has a constant 12 v
Rear lamps work normally, left, right and hazard, Left and right turn tell tales on dash too fast. Both hazard tell tales flash at normal speed. I am measuring on large yellow connector on driver's side

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rear lamps work normally, left, right and hazard, Left and right turn tell tales on dash too fast. Both hazard tell tales flash at normal speed. I am measuring on large yellow connector on driver's side

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can you send me the wiring diagram showing pin numbers and where they connect to.

I am on the female side of connector

·
Registered
34 Posts
What do you have on 6, 7 & 8 when the hazard lights are switched on?
I discovered the convention is to read pins from right to left on the female connector. That is right to left on the top part of the EM02 Drawing.

With connector disconnected:
With hazards on, Pin 5 has alternating 12 V (flashes)
Pin 6 steady 12v
Pins 7 & 8 0v
Right tell tale only flashes

·
Registered
34 Posts
I appreciate all the time you are putting in to help me.

Backing up a little:
My Accent is 2001
Rear turn signals work (but flash quickly)
Rear hazards work
Front turn signals /hazards do not work.
Changed front lamps though they looked ok
Checked fuse #7 in cabin
Swapped out flasher-no help
Reinstalled original flasher
EMO2 pin 5 flashes (12 v on and off). Steady 12 v on pin 6 ( counting right to left on female side)
Can we tell where flasher signal from pin 5 goes next?

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Can we tell where flasher signal from pin 5 goes next?
Sorry, I can't.
Referring back to the circuit diagram kindly supplied by wongpfh (post #77), the turn signal circuit should have no connection to pin 5 of EM02.

Ah, wait. I think I see where you've gone wrong....

You said the left tell tail wasn't working earlier when you had that connector unplugged. Looking at the diagram, the left hand turn signal circuit passes through connector MI04 on pin5. Could you perhaps be looking at the wrong connector?

Compare the connector your probing on your car carefully to the drawing I attached earlier. Does the connector on the car have capacity for 23 terminals as shown on the drawing (it won't necessarily have 23 terminals installed), or does it only have capacity for 15?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry, I can't.
Referring back to the circuit diagram kindly supplied by wongpfh (post #77), the turn signal circuit should have no connection to pin 5 of EM02.

Ah, wait. I think I see where you've gone wrong....

You said the left tell tail wasn't working earlier when you had that connector unplugged. Looking at the diagram, the left hand turn signal circuit passes through connector MI04 on pin5. Could you perhaps be looking at the wrong connector?

Compare the connector your probing on your car carefully to the drawing I attached earlier. Does the connector on the car have capacity for 23 terminals as shown on the drawing (it won't necessarily have 23 terminals installed), or does it only have capacity for 15?
I am pretty sure I am on EM02 large yellow connector held against wall on Driver's side, same number and layout of pins as drawing.
With connector disconnected left tell tale does not light when hazard switch is on. Works in all other modes.
Is it possible we have the wrong schematic? Maybe double check for vin KMHCG45C51U146385
Can I access Post #77 and see the schematic?

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
With connector disconnected left tell tale does not light when hazard switch is on. Works in all other modes.
If you look at the diagram you'll see why that is. Follow the line coming off terminal 9 of the hazard switch and you'll see that it passes through connector MI04 on terminal 5. With the connector unplugged power from the hazard switch can't reach the tell tale, or any of the other left hand lamps. But the power from the turn signal switch is directly connected to the left hand lamps, so the tell tale works when using the turn signal switch.

This seems to confirm you are probing MI04, not EM02.

Is it possible we have the wrong schematic?
Unlikely.

Can I access Post #77 and see the schematic?
You mean you aren't already using the diagram attached to post #77?
I've attached it again below....

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you look at the diagram you'll see why that is. Follow the line coming off terminal 9 of the hazard switch and you'll see that it passes through connector MI04 on terminal 5. With the connector unplugged power from the hazard switch can't reach the tell tale, or any of the other left hand lamps. But the power from the turn signal switch is directly connected to the left hand lamps, so the tell tale works when using the turn signal switch.

This seems to confirm you are probing MI04, not EM02.

Unlikely.

You mean you aren't already using the diagram attached to post #77?
I've attached it again below....

Thanks for the diagrams -I see now 7&8 on EM02 are where i want to be.
The connector I am on is yellow 23 pins below 10 on top.(gap between 5 and 6) Type EM02 (per the pinout drawing of EM01 ,EM02 and EM03

So I need to find another large yellow EM02
under the dash (is it possible there are two)?

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
So I need to find another large yellow EM02 under the dash (is it possible there are two)?
Yes, there are two.

The photo below turned up in a quick google search. It shows the locations of EM02 and MI04, but according to the photo EM02 is a 23way yellow connector and MI04 is a 15way yellow connector.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts