Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
m daughters Sante Fe would not start, bat.tery seemed good. I ordered and replaced the starter and starter Relay fuse. the car started up fine. she drove it to school and it would not start that afternoon. I was able to jump it, so today I put a new battery in it and... Nothing. I can hear power coming on but no starter action at all. it does nothing. I am stumped

any suggestions other than taking it to a shop

thanks Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also tried to jump it again, just for giggles, nothing. I also tried to start it in nutral

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
Did you try a bypass test on the START relay located on the engine bay fusebox.

Switch the ignition on and put the gearbox in P/N.
Remove the START relay from the engine bay fusebox.
Use a short link wire to bridge the two terminals of the relay socket as shown below.
If the engine now cranks over you know the fault is on the circuit that controls the START relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I did the jumper, I got a spark from the relay spot and heard the starter click.

but no start??

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,581 Posts
Was the replacement starter ... new or re-manufactured??
Not unusual for bad re-mans.

Before changing anything else, try (take off neg battery cable) cleaning the wires going to the starter
And clean the battery terminals
And clean the battery grounding strap and chassis grounding point
And clean the grounding points of the strap from engine to chassis
Sometimes the wires get corroded

Test

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have, I did it when I changed the starter. I am taking the old starter up to get tested as it may not have ben the original problem. The starter was new, but it was from amazon, and did not cost that much. It was listed for a Kia but in the description said that it would work. It was visually the same.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,298 Posts
Take your jump leads and connect one black clip to the battery negative terminal and connect the other black clip to a clean metal part of the engine. Leave the red clips disconnected. See if the engine will crank with the jump lead connected between the battery and the engine. If it does there is high resistance on the engine block ground circuit.

You can try a similar bypass test on the power supply side of the circuit too but it's a bit more difficult/risky jumping the positive side of the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts