Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I am working on my sister's 04 Sonata 2.4 and can't get it started. I am pretty knowledgable on cars (rebuilt engines, have a 320whp turbo neon, etc) but this one is eluding me.

Car stopped running while she wass driving home. A side-of-the-road diagnosis pointed at the fuel pump as I could not hear it prime when the ignition turned to ON. (All fuses good)

I got it home. Fuel pump replaced: No Dice.
I opened up the timing belt cover, and whamo. the belt is **** near split, missing teeth, cracked, etc. One of the cams looked like it jumped a couple teeth.

I pulled it appart and replaced the belt, timed the cams, crank, and oil pump... turned the engine over by hand several times to verivy timing. Before getting it all together (with the accessory belts off) to verifym I cranked the car over. She cranks but does not fire. I am not hearing the fuel pump prime at all. Any advice before I try to slap the rest together and see if that OHC and DOHC motors I've worked on rock at this point.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Isn't the crank sensor in there inside the timing belt cover?

If there's no spark, the logical next step is a code scan. But I suspect you need a crank position sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Aug 3 2010, 10:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346996
Isn't the crank sensor in there inside the timing belt cover?

If there's no spark, the logical next step is a code scan. But I suspect you need a crank position sensor.

It is. the code scanner gave a code for the crank sensor, but I assumed this is why it stopped running in the first place... the crank sensor was no longer in sync with the cams, but I could be wrong. It looks like a pain in the butt to replace, but I can try that if it sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (zeeboid @ Aug 4 2010, 02:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347008
It is. the code scanner gave a code for the crank sensor, but I assumed this is why it stopped running in the first place... the crank sensor was no longer in sync with the cams, but I could be wrong. It looks like a pain in the butt to replace, but I can try that if it sounds like a good idea.

Did you not replace the small balance belt ? was it broke when you got it apart ?

Was there teeth missing from the timing belt that might could have got caught by the ear on the blade and try to shove it through the slot on the crank sensor and break the nose of the sensor..

Go back in, and replace the crank sensor, along with a new rotor as a set, make sure you pay particular attention to the wire color order so you install sensor in the correct fashion, and BE ABSOLUTELY SURE you tuck the pigtail in the slot around the oil pump cover so the timing belt not saw through your new sensor wiring and short it out (ASK ME HOW I KNOW THAT TRICK)... :banana:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts