Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new to this !! Am I have a 2008 sonata 2.0 crdi, one problem I have is when driven hard the car won't rev over 3000rpm and have notice that when it gets hot or a hot day it seems to do the same !! There is no fault codes and no check engine light either !! When I switch car off and back on straight away it might drive fine for a while or could go straight back into limp mode !! I have changed air flow , boost prussere sensor and boost pipes and no difference !! One thing I notice is if I dissconect the coolent temp sensor (by timing belt cover) the car runs fine. Changed the sensor nd straight back to going dead!! Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,951 Posts
One thing I notice is if I dissconect the coolent temp sensor (by timing belt cover) the car runs fine. Changed the sensor nd straight back to going dead!! Any help would be appreciated!!
Have you checked the sensor output on your scan tool data list to make sure it's showing a plausible value?

·
Registered
16,951 Posts
Yeah, you say the engine runs OK with the sensor disconnected so you'd probably want to check that the signal the sensor is sending to the PCM is correct, or at least plausible.

·
Registered
163 Posts
... There is no fault codes and no check engine light either !! ... could go straight back into limp mode !! ...

This contradicts. If it is going into an actual limp mode, then there would be DTC recorded and probably a check engine light.

So, which is it?

If it's not really going into an actual limp mode, then it seems like it might be the wastegate actuator (servo) rod adjustment or a problem with the servo itself.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what it's doing going into limp mode but showing no faults and no engine lights coming on, have been plugged in by different computers including Hyundai them selfs and even they can't figure it out !!

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's what it's doing going into limp mode but showing no faults and no engine lights coming on, have been plugged in by different computers including Hyundai them selfs and even they can't figure it out !!

I think that maybe when you say "limp mode" that you really mean something is causing a loss of power. To me, limp mode, is one or more specific strategies that the PCM switches to to protect the drivetrain or because of the loss of a critical sensor. The other cars I have (and have had) all set diagnostic codes when they were in any actual limp mode.

The 2.0T (my daughter's really) that we have had the wastegate adjustment problem. It caused drastic loss of power, but did not trigger any limp mode or diagnostic codes. The engine just didn't have any power because the PCM wouldn't close the wastegate (because the feedback voltage was out of range), and the tiny engine couldn't make much power without the turbo working.

My symptom was the classic one of no power on cold start. Yours is not, so likely your problem is a bit different. If it would go into an actual limp mode, it would probably be a lot easier to find the problem. I'd monitor turbo boost and the wastegate position when you have loss of power again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It won't go over 3000rpm when driving or if you are sitting in neutral and sink the shoe once I switch it off and back on straight away could drive fine for 5klm or 30 klms and back to not revving over 3000rpm

·
Registered
163 Posts
Doesn't this car (like most) have a neutral rev limiter? If so, then trying to rev high in neutral is not a valid test. Maybe it doesn't have one. I haven't tried it. I know that my other cars do.

Of course, either way, it should go well above 3K in gear. Mine would not when the turbo was out.

·
Registered
16,951 Posts
I'll try that !! But changed the sensor so wouldn't that rule it out ??
No necessarily because the problem might not be with the sensor itself. There might be a problem elsewhere in the sensor circuit.

And BTW, I agree with what joegr has said. If the engine was dropping into limp mode the engine check light would come on and there would be a trouble code to explain why.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same symptoms as Daz54. 2010 Sonata 2.4 engine. 3000 rpm max when issue randomly occurs. ESC light usually comes on, not always. Any solutions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same symptoms as Daz54. 2010 Sonata 2.4 engine. 3000 rpm max when issue randomly occurs. ESC light usually comes on, not always. Any solutions?
this is exactly what is happening with mine..the esc light comes on randomly after driving for a bit but i can’t rev over 3000 rpm.. especially when I need to move in between traffic I can’t at all. It’s so slow right now..

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
Sounds like this vehicle needs an experienced mechanic, familiar with this problem that will register codes on any readouts.

Find that mechanic Daz and hopefully it's not the expensive one at the Hyundai dealership near you.
dealer advantage) The dealer might know the problem, thru past experiences / visits from owners like you. Unfortunately, only a fraction of 1% ownership are members of a messageboard like this one.

·
Registered
2002 Sonata 2.4L GL A/T, 2007 Tucson 2.0L
216 Posts
Has anyone in this thread done anything with their fuel filters?

I happened to read through this thread on another model. It seems that there may have been an updated filter design.

If it ain't that I'd probably inspect the fuel delivery system as a whole.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts