Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
apparently the clips on the bumper holding the bumper on the side of it are defective and break very easily.

i hit a pothole and the clips on the side snaped so i called the dealer to see what i can do and to my surprise they said they would replace my bumper for free which is great.

but now no car for 3-4 days =[

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Sep 27 2010, 10:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359109
apparently the clips on the bumper holding the bumper on the side of it are defective and break very easily.

i hit a pothole and the clips on the side snaped so i called the dealer to see what i can do and to my surprise they said they would replace my bumper for free which is great.

Front or rear bumper?

Did they give you a rental car?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
It shouldnt take more than a couple of hours to replace a bumper cover. Not sure why they need it fir 3 to 4 days. Even if they are painting it they should be able to do that in advance and be all ready to install when you show up.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Souks @ Sep 27 2010, 11:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359124
It shouldnt take more than a couple of hours to replace a bumper cover. Not sure why they need it fir 3 to 4 days. Even if they are painting it they should be able to do that in advance and be all ready to install when you show up.
thats exactly what i said but im doing that and getting an oil change and having them look at something in my driver window and its not being done at the dealer they have to drive down their body shop so i guess they just estimated that time

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Sep 27 2010, 09:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359109

Hmmm...VERY interesting. I had a minor scrape in traffic. I dented the fender flare above the front driver's-side wheel and put a little gouge in the plastic bumper right in front of the front wheel. My body man did a beautiful job of repair to both pieces, but the next day I noticed the bumper was seperated a little from the fender. I pushed it back into place, and it clicked, but popped free again as soon as I started driving.

Body many worked on it again twice before solving it with a home-brew method. He was of the opinion that I had either cause a bit deeper damage to it than we thought, or that something was wrong with the clips.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Jamie M @ Sep 27 2010, 10:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359109
i hit a pothole and the clips on the side snaped
Besides the clips, bumper is secured to the fender by 2 bolts on each side. Properly installed, there's no way it'd break with a pothole. Maybe the bolts weren't installed. Weird. But glad it's being replaced under warranty; now just hope body shop does a good paint match job. Oh, and don't expect painted bumper to be as good/tough as factory (meaning it chips easier); at least that has been my personal experience. Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (elp_jc @ Sep 27 2010, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359157
Besides the clips, bumper is secured to the fender by 2 bolts on each side. Properly installed, there's no way it'd break with a pothole. Maybe the bolts weren't installed. Weird. But glad it's being replaced under warranty; now just hope body shop does a good paint match job. Oh, and don't expect painted bumper to be as good/tough as factory (meaning it chips easier); at least that has been my personal experience. Good luck.
idk the guy said that if u hit one hard enough that the clips can break, maybe i scraped the bottom too im not sure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd say the design of the bumper cover is unnecessarily weak where the 3 tabs hold to the fender. The wall thickness is sliver thin (didn't mic it) over most of the span on the cover portion where there is a small channel that forms the tab retention holes.

I went too far on to a curb stop and it snapped this channel off on one side.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (WarmFZI @ Sep 27 2010, 03:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359178
I'd say the design of the bumper cover is unnecessarily weak where the 3 tabs hold to the fender. The wall thickness is sliver thin (didn't mic it) over most of the span on the cover portion where there is a small channel that forms the tab retention holes.

yea exactly and hyundai knows this when i told them the clips broke i didnt even have to tell them how hyundai is just replacing my bumper for free

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (WarmFZI @ Sep 27 2010, 03:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=359178
THAT I believe :grin:. Unfortunately, in the name of weight savings (always a positive spin on cost-cutting decisions, huh?), manufacturers are coming up with ever thinner and flimsier panels. New M3s have plastic front fenders, and Vettes are practically all plastic now (used to be fiberglass up to the C4). Cars are more technologically advanced than before, but not built nearly as good IMO. Best cars made were a decade or so ago, before keyless ignition, radar cruise control, and all that useless crap came out. Not to mention ever tightening emissions and driver laziness responsible for the future demise of the manual transmission and force induction on everything. I don't like the future of cars, and will probably not buy another expensive car ever again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts