Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone knows if Huyndai has new software for the 2018 Elantra (specifically for the Limited model)?

Altough my car only has 4000kms I really dislike how the car handles in cruise mode.

The car is too abrupt and too agressive , it does not provide a smooth ride at all.

I am hoping Huyndai fixes this.

Yesterday I was driving down a secondary highway with the speed limit being 90km and I had set the cruise at that speed. It came across a climb, it wasnt too steep but it was long.

I have never seen a car in cruise control mode do this but at some point it was revving over 4000rpm to keep up the speed.

Not only it was not smooth, the car was going at its regular RPM and as soon the speed dropped it downshifited and revved up right away to 4000rpm giving it a jerk feeling.

I am waiting till I get 6000km's in the car to take it to the dealer for the first oil change and checkup.

So far its really my biggest pet peeve of this car.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Though it's a possibility, the reality is that these vehicles do not have a ton of torque to work with. The Limited has the same powertrain as all lesser models, save for the Sport. The transmission will also learn and adapt to your driving style, over time. But it's not above getting a bit flustered at times. Mine would occasionally abruptly downshift after seeming like it's doing OK maintaining speed, but the reality is that it was slowing down regardless. The incline pitch can also change to a small enough degree that you yourself may not feel or notice it, but the car gets past it's threshold and triggers a downshift. Since it's still slowing down inbetween shifts, the RPM drop is enough that it'll feel like a less than graceful shift.

I live in a hilly area. Even modest climbs had it downshifting to 4th, at times, to maintain speeds above 60mph. 132 ft-lbs in a 3,000lb car, isn't a lot to work with.

Also, the cruise control in the AD models with the 2.0, I always felt was too gentle and conservative. But that's just personal preference. If you have Adaptive Cruise (don't remember if the Limited sedan does or doesn't, with Tech package), you can use the dash menu to adjust the system's reaction time. My GT is set to "Fast".

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the Value Edition and experience the same thing. I always run the same route since I had car with little hills but had to go to the airport that had some grades. This was my first time going this way and I am at 6000 miles.

The car would be in 6th gear approaching grade then on grade it would skip 5th and down shift into 4th! It doesn't even try 5th just bam a million rpms. Then once it gained its two mph speed that it lost it would go into 5th and stay there, unless it needed 4th again which is understandable. I experienced this both in eco and normal mode (didn't try sport)

What is not understandable is why it doesn't run 5th first. I have been on the grade where fifth will keep speed but will go into 4th before. Its not like I am down five mph from the set speed. It is an awful design.

Every other vehicle I drove will loss a couple mph then down shift to next lower gear, then if speed is not gained or still losing speed will shift to second lower gear. I have never had a vehicle with auto totally skip a gear and with a two mph loss!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the Value Edition and experience the same thing. I always run the same route since I had car with little hills but had to go to the airport that had some grades. This was my first time going this way and I am at 6000 miles.

The car would be in 6th gear approaching grade then on grade it would skip 5th and down shift into 4th! It doesn't even try 5th just bam a million rpms. Then once it gained its two mph speed that it lost it would go into 5th and stay there, unless it needed 4th again which is understandable. I experienced this both in eco and normal mode (didn't try sport)

What is not understandable is why it doesn't run 5th first. I have been on the grade where fifth will keep speed but will go into 4th before. Its not like I am down five mph from the set speed. It is an awful design.

Every other vehicle I drove will loss a couple mph then down shift to next lower gear, then if speed is not gained or still losing speed will shift to second lower gear. I have never had a vehicle with auto totally skip a gear and with a two mph loss!

Well, the cars are going CVT for 2020 so... enjoy the 6AT while you can ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So thats what it is doing? It skips a gear. It makes sense. Its really annoying that it does this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Sonata that does this. When I get on the hwy, I set the cruise for 70mph and then slide the shifter into manual mode. This prevents transmission from down shifting all the time on inclines.

Have to try this on the Elantra.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a Sonata that does this. When I get on the hwy, I set the cruise for 70mph and then slide the shifter into manual mode. This prevents transmission from down shifting all the time on inclines.

Have to try this on the Elantra.
This I will have to try. Can you down shift while in cruise like this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Mine down shifted today on an incline on interstate with cruise on in Eco mode. Only went from 2,200 on Tach to 2,750. Nothing dramatic. Pretty much like my last car. But I have a base 2017. Maybe they made changes in 2018? My transmission never jerks. Smooth as butter.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Every car I've driven when on cruise control downshifts, even just for a freeway overpass sometimes. It's the programming. Exact same car, same route, same speed, same overpass but cruise off and foot on the pedal the car does not downshift. You can control it far more with your foot than the cruise, especially if you are willing to lose a small amount of speed on the grade. I rarely use CC because I don't like how it's programmed and shifts.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I did a 500 mile run today and put it in 6th gear. I like it a lot, thanks for the tip. I maybe lost 5mph on some hills but most of the time it kept up speed. It never went under the 25mpg instant mark unlike when it down shifts in drive mode.

You can down shift/upshift in cruise with manual and is much nicer than how it shifts in drive. I believe I got better gas mileage too but will see tomorrow when I head back. I dropped 3500ft from start to finish so it could be from that. I will average round trip to see if gas mileage improved.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No. It will stay in the 6th or 7th gear on hwy. For passing cars put back into automatic mode or manually downshift.

I just hate that constant downshifts for slight hills like overpasses on hwy

·
Registered
317 Posts
Using the manual mode I got the best mpg since owning car. I did a 1000 miles round trip and averaged 38.2 mpg. On a simlar trip of 800 miles round trip I averaged 35.5 mpg using drive mode. This is actual fill ups, not overrated car display mpg. The conditions were at little worst on the 1000 mile run, I had a nasty head wind for about 1\5 of the drive back.

I like the manual mode a lot just have to remember to put it back in drive in town.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
When we first got our Limited it revved up going up an hill, wife said whats that noise, it downshifted. I don't like this our Cruze never did this!

That's because our Cruze has a manual transmission, only way for it to downshift is to step on the clutch and move the transmission to a lower gear. This car has an automatic transmission, but it also has a manual mode, just move the lever to the left. Do that and it won't down shift unless you are coming to a stop.

This was her first automatic transmission car, but said you can drive it like a manual, just pretend you are stepping on the clutch, with the lever to the left, one click forward to the next highest gear, or one click backwards to the next lowest gear.

She loves it now especially when backing up trying to stepping on the clutch restricts turning your head to watch where you are going. And riding the clutch really wears it out.

Drove a lot of manuals over the years, clutch job would take a little over an hour and cost six bucks, today a weekend and about 500 bucks for parts with FWD. Half axles are solidly rusted in and try removing a ball joint without wrecking the seal, can't buy a new seal and on some cars, have to replace the entire control arm. Engine has to be supported because the entire transaxle has to be removed. Some will break cooling and air conditioner lines as well as linkage and cables.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Similarly my Elantra has revved well above 4000 rpm on an incline whilst in cruise. I have since resolved this by keeping the car in ECO mode or manually leaving her in 6.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Similarly my Elantra has revved well above 4000 rpm on an incline whilst in cruise. I have since resolved this by keeping the car in ECO mode or manually leaving her in 6.

While I understand the point of doing do, because the downshifting is an irritant to you, lugging the engine does more harm than good. In Eco mode these cars WILL lug on inclines.
If it lugs too much, it will ping. If it starts to ping, it'll lose power. Once it slows down and cuts power enough, it's going to downshift anyhow. These cars will automatically upshift at redline, even in manual mode, but they will NOT automatically downshift. So you may as well leave it in D, Eco mode or not.

For those of us with the 1.6T (DI instead of MPFI), LSPI becomes an additional concern and a reason not to lug it.

Be careful.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The cars will automatically downshift in manual mode. I learnt this forgetting to put it in drive after getting into town. It does this to protect the car. If you use the right octane there is no reason the car should ping. If your car is pinging you have a problem with your engine/computer.

As far as eco shifting I found no difference between that and normal shifting. Both will skip 5th and slam into 4th. Manually mode is how the car should be programmed to run with going into 5th with 2mph loss then into 4th if 5mph are loss. The car should never be allowed to go from 6th to 4th without visiting 5th. This will do more damage to the engine then slowly lossing rpms. Jumping 2000 rpms in a second is never good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
OK, I have to break this down a bit:

The cars will automatically downshift in manual mode.
I don't recall ever having the car downshift for me in manual mode. But then, it's been gone a few months, so I can't double check for myself.

As far as eco shifting I found no difference between that and normal shifting. Both will skip 5th and slam into 4th. Manually mode is how the car should be programmed to run with going into 5th with 2mph loss then into 4th if 5mph are loss. The car should never be allowed to go from 6th to 4th without visiting 5th. This will do more damage to the engine then slowly lossing rpms. Jumping 2000 rpms in a second is never good.
It should, and it does. Because 5th and 6th are overdrive gears, not acceleration gears. Automatic 6-speed transmission ratios:

First Gear Ratio :)1) 4.40
Second Gear Ratio :)1) 2.73
Third Gear Ratio :)1) 1.83
Fourth Gear Ratio :)1) 1.39
Fifth Gear Ratio :)1) 1.00
Sixth Gear Ratio :)1) 0.77
Reverse Ratio :)1) 3.44

Final Drive Axle Ratio :)1) 3.06

Note: That super-short [torque multiplying] 1st gear is why an engine so low on torque, can spin it's wheels from a stop, if you turn Sport on and traction control off.

If your car is pinging you have a problem with your engine/computer.
With regard to pinging, The Nu 2.0 runs on Regular 87, and under right conditions any engine WILL ping. The computer will catch it, and compensate, and thus begins the spiral. You're welcome to compensate for those worries, by putting 89-91 in it. But on this engine, that's a colossal waste of money. Especially since steady-state 70mph on relatively smooth level roads with no more than a light breeze, allows these cars to overshoot their 37 MPG highway rating by a good margin. I normally averaged 44 MPG, and upwards of 53 MPG on long 55mph stretches.
Should my engine have had a bad ECU flash, be fueled with the recommended 87, and still ping (like it would, and did, when going over the larger hills in the area)... thus implying that it doesn't run as it should... I doubt I would have averaged some of the higher mileage numbers of most 2017 owners.

If you use the right octane there is no reason the car should ping.
Oh, but it does ping, and it will ping. The engine can't compensate for pinging, if pinging doesn't first occur.

Pinging is a precursor to pre-ingition (knock), which can occur at high loads and cylinder pressures. Especially if the engine's rotation is slowing down (slower evacuation), and exhaust gases are heating up. Even more common in higher ambient temperatures and the A/C on.

Modern vehicles are simply good at this, and can straddle the line pretty narrowly with light pinging (which is generally OK, it's knock that busts your pistons up) with pulling as little power as possible. In fact, in some situations, light pinging can be good to knock off any carbon buildup that may occur. Which on a modern MPI engine, probably isn't really anything to even worry about under 200,000 miles.

The rest is just Google-fu.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the issue here is not the downshifting itself, its the downshifting to 4th or even 3rd gear as soon the car loses a it of speed.

I dont understand the logic behind this. I have seen it downshift and have the car rev up to 4000rpms for a couple seconds and then the car gears up all the way up the incline.

I am wondering if the newere models (2019 and 2020) do the same thing?
I hope Huyndai tweaks this in a future update.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think the issue here is not the downshifting itself, its the downshifting to 4th or even 3rd gear as soon the car loses a it of speed.

I dont understand the logic behind this. I have seen it downshift and have the car rev up to 4000rpms for a couple seconds and then the car gears up all the way up the incline.

I am wondering if the newere models (2019 and 2020) do the same thing?
I hope Huyndai tweaks this in a future update.

That question has an easy answer.

This engine's torque peak is 4700 RPM.

BTW, 2020 is going CVT so it'll be moot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No 2020 Elantra for me then. Personally, I do not like CVT transmissions

I do wish that the 2017 NA AD series had a 7th gear

Running at 75-80mph I am at 2500+

Would love to have it in the 1700-2000rpm range and then have it downshift for hills as needed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts