Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the topic says, I woke up this morning to a very dead batter (not even the dash lights would go on).

Interior lights not on, glove box shut, trunk light off, etc. Headlights were off, though I believe you can't really leave them on anyway, even the delay is 20 minutes only.

Just curious what you think could drain the battery with the keys in my pocket after shutting it down the night before.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Have them check the negative ground wire that attaches to the body of the car. Mine wasn't tightened to specification and ended up with a dead car too. Dealer tightened and all seems good now. AMA was able to get it started when they adjusted the negative terminal on the battery, I guess when they took it off and put it back it got the ground wire back in proper contact with the car. So you can try removing and re-instaling the negative terminal wire and see if it will atleast bring it back to life to drive to the dealer so you don't need to tow it in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Although usually not common on a new car it sounds like a loose battery connector or a bad alternator. The lights varying at idle means that the charging is not working to the level it should and you are most likely running your lights on the battery or what small charge is on the battery. Your warranty should cover everything though although it is a hassle to take it in.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If your not comfortable with working on the battery, contact roadside assistance and they will send someone out who will check the battery, and try a jumpstart if it is just a drained battery. If they can't get it going they will tow it in at Hyundai's expense. In Canada they use AMA, so the tow drivers are top notch reputable companies. Not sure who Hyundai uses in the US though.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (mbm @ Sep 6 2010, 10:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354602
Like the topic says, I woke up this morning to a very dead batter (not even the dash lights would go on).

Interior lights not on, glove box shut, trunk light off, etc. Headlights were off, though I believe you can't really leave them on anyway, even the delay is 20 minutes only.

Just curious what you think could drain the battery with the keys in my pocket after shutting it down the night before.
I had the exact problem with my Limited a couple of weekends ago. I pulled it in the garage the previous night and the following morning the battery was dead (measured 5V) 4800km on the odo. The dealer tested both the battery and charging system as well within specification. It is still a mystery.

PS Used a charger to get the battery up to voltage again

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Guess it's a different problem than mine. I was afraid I may have drained my battery too but when AMA came out and tried to jumpstart they noticed there was no spark at all when he connected his jumper cable.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Maybe this has nothing to do with the issue, but in many cars I've owned, that problem was blamed on automatic headlights. I always have them in 'OFF' myself. Also make sure you left nothing connected, although most cars nowadays cut power to all receptacles. With new CAN electrical systems, anything seemingly unrelated can be causing the problem, so if the problem persists after making sure nothing was left on, and making sure your battery terminals are secured, then you need to let a dealer trace all ground points to begin with. Good luck.

·
Registered
717 Posts
sucks but I don't care for the Sonata's light system. When you leave them on and shut the car off the car should start beeping to let you know you left them on. Sure they turn off but over time I am sure that is hard on the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts