Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like I'm looking at getting winter mounted winter tires to have available to swap with my OEM shoes at the first flakes of snow, I'd like to have winter blades on hand as well. I have found absolutely NO winter wiper blades for the 2011 Sonata. For that matter, none of the "techie" blades like Valeo show any standard blades to fit either. We're talking 26" drivers and 18" passenger side "hook-lock" style. Will this situation change before winter sets in?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I dont claim to be an expert on wiper blade, but for many, many years, Ive always stuck with Anco brand "AeroAdvantage" wipers. A couple years back, i tried an actual Winter blade and while they look beefier, I never found there to be a noticeable difference to justify the increase in cost.

Since then, Ive gone back to use the regular Anco AeroAdvantage blades and have been happy. For the days when its extra salty out, I use RainX on my windshield to resist frost and ice on my windshield.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ Aug 19 2010, 10:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350440
I dont claim to be an expert on wiper blade, but for many, many years, Ive always stuck with Anco brand "AeroAdvantage" wipers. A couple years back, i tried an actual Winter blade and while they look beefier, I never found there to be a noticeable difference to justify the increase in cost.

Since then, Ive gone back to use the regular Anco AeroAdvantage blades and have been happy. For the days when its extra salty out, I use RainX on my windshield to resist frost and ice on my windshield.
I dont like the winter wipers, they never curve with the window enough, they still have ice freeze up on them and they lift super easy in the wind.
garbage....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I disagree. Over the years I've had some great winter blades. We're talking in heavy winter areas like upstate NY too. Granted, some are pathetic. But get good blades with boots to cover pivot points and you're good to go.

I did not intend this thread to be one to discuss the relative merits of any particular brand or whether winter blades are a good idea or not. Rather I intended this thread to be one to discuss why the aftermarket hasn't caught up with the 2011 Sonata yet. Still can't find suitable high grade standrad or winter blades for this car :(

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hyundai Canada dealers have them available for about $14 for the 16" and $28 for the 24". I just took a look and they look like normal hook style so the Valeo and just about any other hook style blades should fit shouldn't they? Nobody lists the 11 Sonata yet as it's still new. Most tire dealers don't even list them yet either. But the blades don't look like they are anything special. I have a set of Valeo from my old car in the garage but in 18" size but will see if the it hooks into place or not. I know some wipers come with a bunch of adapters in the box for the various styles of hooks too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Since the windsheild base is heated to reduce ice build up I will take a wait and see before spending on winter blades for this car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (Sales 101 @ Aug 23 2010, 11:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351313
Since the windsheild base is heated to reduce ice build up I will take a wait and see before spending on winter blades for this car.

good to here that, do you know how it's heated through? the bottom of the windshield or is it the bay where the windshield washer nozzles are?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Winter blades have come down in price because the newer-style frameless wipers have alleviated many of the problems conventional framed wipers experience in the ice and snow. Beam Blade or Winter Wipers are SUBSTANTIALLY better than conventional framed wipers - hands down. Here's product info on both.</span>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts