Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a hid kit with a wiring harness. Thanks to chicago harsh roads and conditions looks like one of my ballasts has been shaken to death. Every time i hit a a light bump my lights go out and do not come on until the next bump on the road. So i want to switch over to regular non hid bulbs until summer but when i went to order bulbs i noticed in the description it says recommends relay harness.
So my questions is do i need a relay harness for non oem,non hid, low beam bulbs?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I currently have a hid kit with a wiring harness. Thanks to chicago harsh roads and conditions looks like one of my ballasts has been shaken to death. Every time i hit a a light bump my lights go out and do not come on until the next bump on the road. So i want to switch over to regular non hid bulbs until summer but when i went to order bulbs i noticed in the description it says recommends relay harness.
So my questions is do i need a relay harness for non oem,non hid, low beam bulbs?

Why can't you just put your original halogen bulbs back in?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Or just find the loose connection in the HIDs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I searched for a loose connection i even went as far as unplugging everything and re-plugging them. Did not seem to work, they still go out

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I searched for a loose connection i even went as far as unplugging everything and re-plugging them. Did not seem to work, they still go out
I would be looking for a loose ground/improper ground, a frayed/broken wire jacket, or a loose wire withing the connector itself. Does rapping the ballast with your knuckle cause the symptom?

·
Banned
532 Posts
I would be looking for a loose ground/improper ground, a frayed/broken wire jacket, or a loose wire withing the connector itself. Does rapping the ballast with your knuckle cause the symptom?
Especially with all of the salt on our roads check your ground's, duplication is done, pot hole off - pot hole, so it's a ground or connector issue, couldn't be an H20 issue you would have blown a fuse by now.

Good luck, but I'd wait until the weekend :frozen: unless you've got a heated garage.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
OP

Your issue sounds like the one I had a few years ago with my HIDs. Turned out that there is an inline fuse in the accessory harness. The holder had corroded from winter salt exposure. So my HIDs also were blinking in and out depending on what bumps I hit.

Solution was to patch in a new, heavy-duty fuse holder. About $3 and 10 minutes of time. HIDs worked fine for another year until the bulb gave up the ghost.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went out to check it out and looks like it the wiring harness whenever i shake it or move it the lights go out. Looks like i have to order a new one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Especially with all of the salt on our roads check your ground's, duplication is done, pot hole off - pot hole, so it's a ground or connector issue, couldn't be an H20 issue you would have blown a fuse by now.

Good luck, but I'd wait until the weekend :frozen: unless you've got a heated garage.
Like he said its freezing here in chicago and i do not have a heated garage. So i returned the sylvania ultras and got cheap halogen bulbs. Safely put away the ballast and bulbs and threw away the thin crappy harness. Does anyone know where i can order a heavy duty one that can get bent for a long time and not get a wire short?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Like he said its freezing here in chicago and i do not have a heated garage. So i returned the sylvania ultras and got cheap halogen bulbs. Safely put away the ballast and bulbs and threw away the thin crappy harness. Does anyone know where i can order a heavy duty one that can get bent for a long time and not get a wire short?
You should not have to "bend" wires. XenonSupplys seems decent.

And again, you should not "bend" the wires. If you are pinching the wires into a bend in an angle that's more than 120 degrees you need to do something else to route the wires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts